PDA

View Full Version : grrr Happy figered it out...

cali
08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
grrrr well I WAS giving Happy her pills wraped in cheese.. the first 2 times it worked but this 3ed time she figer it out! she carfully took the cheese wrapped pill, set it down, carefully peeled the cheese from around the pill ate it, and left the pill lying on the floor! :eek: ummm well I was hoping I would not have to do the force swallow thing, because I wanted her to LIKE getting her pills not dread it.. :confused: any other idea's for getting her to take the pill without forcing it down her throat :confused:

Uabassoon
08-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Cut a peice of hot dog, then cut a small slit into it and stick the pill in the slit. Then give Happy the hot dog with the pill in it.

catnapper
08-08-2004, 08:58 PM
nicki's easy to pill, all I do is hold her head with my left hand, pry the mouth open and litterally TOSS the pill into the back of her throat. Don't hesitate, just toss! :) You'll miss the first few times, but get it eventually and its SOOO easy!

binka_nugget
08-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Cut a peice of hot dog, then cut a small slit into it and stick the pill in the slit. Then give Happy the hot dog with the pill in it.

Yep, that's what I do with Kai and he takes it everytime. Except, I usually give him two or three first, then give him the one with the pill.

cali
08-08-2004, 09:03 PM
thanks I will try the hotdog thing, hopefully she will take it and not catch on to fast lol

MariaM
08-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure how often she has to take the pills and all, but RB Oscar had seizerus so he had to take every night. He knew that right after he ate the pill, supper came, so he ate it very easily. I guess you could show her the pill, do what Nicki suggested, and then give her a meal (again, not sure how many a day she needs or the details) and since she catches on fast, she might learn
pill = food!

Cinder & Smoke
08-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by cali

she carfully took the cheese wrapped pill,
set it down, carefully peeled the cheese
from around the pill ate it,

and left the pill lying on the floor! :eek:

:p

Don'cha know - Dawgs Really ENJOY conquering a *challenge* ??

Lucky for ME, I've just never had a 4-Legger who was violent
or *nasty* about taking pills...

They just seemed to *accept it* that Dad...
* Was BIGGER than they were;
* Had TWO Hands with opposable thumbs;
* And if *stressed* over the pill-delivery thing ~
* Would pin their butt in a corner and
* Then *SHOVE* the fist-clenched PILL half way to China! :eek:

After one or two *SHOVES* - they all just let it happen :rolleyes: -
and ENJOY the *TREAT* :) that immediately follows! ;)

/s/ Phred (aka the Pill Pusher)

:D

dappledoxie
08-08-2004, 09:27 PM
hehehe Phred! :D

Yeah, so far I've never had too much trouble with pills, the hot dog thing works great!

cali
08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
lol she cant have in it her meals cuz it wont work lol she has to take half a pill every 12 hours, and she is on a RAW diet and she does not eat breakfast on sundays, the breakfast are to spaced out it could happen anytime btween 9AM and 3PM lol and suppers she eats bones...

anna_66
08-09-2004, 07:25 AM
one word:Peanutbutter!

It's a great disguise:D

joycenalex
08-09-2004, 07:29 AM
alex gets his twice daily seizure pills in a very small glob of chunky peanut butter, he won't pick the pill out of the glob that way. when i'm out of PB, i break a small piece of banana, about 1/2 inch, press the pills to one side, then in a happy cheerful, excited voice, call "pills and treats! who wants pills and treats?" the pill bearing end goes down first. i've also used a teeny glob of apple sauce. hope this helps.

phiala
08-09-2004, 08:03 AM
If Happy gets Kongs, then fill the kong with Peanut Butter, Cheese, whatever, then put the pill inside of it. :-D

micki76
08-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Chunky peanut butter works the best for us. :)

cloverfdx
08-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Happy you silly girl, cheese is good ;). I also use PB it works so well, Clover is usualy good and takes them by themselves as she is miss piggy. ;) :D

cali
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
lol well the hotdog thing did not even work once! lol I gave her lots of peices of hotdog only one had the pill inside, she happily gobbled the ones wothout the pill, when it came to the one with the pill she LOOKED like she was going to fall for it until she squeezed the hotdog till the pill poped out then preceded to gobble up the hot dog lol so I grabbed the pill and cheerily told her to missed a peice and she ALMOST fell for it too lol but she got it in her mouth and spit it out and took off! :eek: kong is a good idea I will try that this evening, lets hope it works lol

Albea
08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Another thing you could try is hiding the pill in cream cheese, it has always worked for me because unlike hot dogs or other cheese they can't get it out of the soft cheese.

bsherman
08-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Peanut butter works at our place, Tawny will eat anything with peanut butter or Cheeze Whiz, the gooier the better

chrissycat21
08-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Snowy has done the same thing when it comes time for Heartworm pills, she'll eat the cheese and spit out the pill.

Peanut butter should work, just pop it in your dogs mouth and watch them swallow it. I heard rubbing their throat down wards with your hand is supposed to help them swallow. I'm not sure though.

Good luck!

-Chrissy

cali
08-09-2004, 08:20 PM
YAY! lol the Kong worked! while kinda lol we did not have PB so I melted 2 cheese slices, threw in the pill, added some cream cheese and a bunch of hotdog slices! she only cared to take a little out of the kong, mostly just some of the hotdog slices, so I used a knife to get some of the cheese hotdog slices, and pill onto a spoon and gave her that, and she ate it all! not very fast but at least she did! lol then she got LOTS of praise lol now lets hope she does not figer out a way to get the pill outa this one too lol