PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Catnap This Vet!!!

QueenScoopalot
08-08-2004, 02:04 PM
http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2004/08/04/nnn.html

70 trailer-park cats spayed or neutered by area veterinarian

SPCA helps with effort to control feline population, provide vaccines

By Amy L. Ashbridge

Staff Writer

ONEONTA — The cat population at Messina’s Trailer Park is getting more manageable, thanks to the work of a local veterinarian and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
To try to control the number of kittens born in the park — as well as territorial behavior — Dr. Joan Puritz spent part of last week spaying and neutering cats from the trailer park for free.
"There are lots of cats everywhere," Puritz said Thursday. "It’s really quite incredible."
As of last Thursday, Puritz said she had spayed or neutered about 70 cats.
"It’s amazing how it gets out of hand," Puritz said.
The cats also received rabies vaccinations, Puritz said. The SPCA covered the cost for the surgical procedure and the Otsego County Department of Public Health covered the vaccines, she said.
"This is a really good service," Puritz said.
Spaying or neutering a cat can cost between $60 and $75, Puritz said. Most of the cats are not feral, or wild, she said.
"So far, they’ve all been really friendly," Puritz said.
Past efforts at trying to control the overpopulation problem at Messina — and similar locations — hadn’t been successful, said Susquehanna SPCA executive director Patti Timoney.
"We’ve been aware that there was some concern for quite some time," Timoney said Tuesday. "We were finally able to go do something that may help down the road."
Simply removing the cats from the trailer park wouldn’t solve the problem, Timoney said.
That method — trapping and occasionally euthanizing cats — has been tried in the past, and it hasn’t worked, she said.
When animal-control officials try that, other cats inevitably move back into the area, Timoney said. Spaying and neutering cats works, she said.
"It’s an established way of getting a handle on the problem," Timoney said. "Other cats don’t move in."
To make sure the cat population stays under control, Timoney said, the SPCA would continue to monitor the park and check on the cats.
Timoney said the SPCA wasn’t an unwelcome visitor in the trailer park.
"People were very receptive," Timoney said Tuesday. "The majority of people were thrilled we were there."
Timoney said several people gave the SPCA kittens to put up for adoption, and the group also took in some adult cats that were in poor health.
Besides the kittens from Messina, Timoney said there are plenty of other animals at the shelter that need homes.
"We’re overrun," she said. "Any size, shape or color — we’ve got it!"
Animal population can be a very serious problem, Puritz said. She said that’s why she donated her time to help the animals from Messina.
"The overpopulation problem is one of the things I’ve always felt strongly about," Puritz said. "It’s heartbreaking in a lot of ways."

wolflady
08-08-2004, 02:09 PM
It's truly heartwarming when you see veterinarians doing good deeds such as this one. It's amazing how organizations, such as the SPCA, can do so much good for the animals. Bless their hearts!

QueenScoopalot
08-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I've trapped many many cats and kittens from trailer parks, and try to avoid them at all costs! I know several that are totally over-run with cats of all ages, but I can't save the world
I can't save the world
I can't save the world
But i can make a dent! ;)

nibblets
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
That is good to hear.. Lets hope it catches on!

wolflady
08-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I've trapped many many cats and kittens from trailer parks, and try to avoid them at all costs! I know several that are totally over-run with cats of all ages, but I can't save the world
I can't save the world
I can't save the world
But i can make a dent! ;)

You said it sister! ;)
:D

**hugs**
Karne

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-08-2004, 03:07 PM
What a great idea - talk about "If the mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed must come to the mountain"!

The world needs more people like that!! Our vets here are wonderful, but we only have THREE, and there is a limit to the amount of *charity* work they can do!

Randy_K
08-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Best Friends sponsors an organization named Catnippers (http://www.bestfriends.org/nmhp/la-programs/la-catnippers.htm) that runs a spay and neuter clinic in the Los Angeles area. The clinic runs one day every other month and people bring in feral cats they have trapped for treatment which also includes general health care, teeth cleaning and de-fleaing. On average they treat about 90 cats at each clinic (90 in one day!!). Throughout last year they did 565 cats which one vet estimated that, due to their efforts, there would be about one million fewer kittens. The vets and all the assistants donate their time.

QueenScoopalot
08-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Randy_K
Best Friends sponsors an organization named Catnippers (http://www.bestfriends.org/nmhp/la-programs/la-catnippers.htm) that runs a spay and neuter clinic in the Los Angeles area. The clinic runs one day every other month and people bring in feral cats they have trapped for treatment which also includes general health care, teeth cleaning and de-fleaing. On average they treat about 90 cats at each clinic (90 in one day!!). Throughout last year they did 565 cats which one vet estimated that, due to their efforts, there would be about one million fewer kittens. The vets and all the assistants donate their time.
It's great when vets get involved like that. :) It does make a big difference that's for sure!

leslie flenner
08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Re the trailer park- I assume they are being fed- no word on that in the story! Could be dumpster cats! Hate to be a damper- obviously this vet is doing a job well beyond her job description out of her own pocket, I'm just hoping there is someone to watch over the ones that are "put back" without owners....

catmandu
08-09-2004, 09:16 AM
The Found Cats send a Special MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW To Doctor Joan Puritz,a Real Angel,here on Earth!

DJFyrewolf36
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
What a good idea! I'm very glad there are good people in this world still!

QSA, every little good thing you do DOES change the world for the better!

smokey the elder
08-09-2004, 03:03 PM
That's so cool.

AmberLee
08-09-2004, 07:16 PM
What terrific news! Inspirational. :cool:

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
What a wonderful vet.:) The world needs more vet's and rescue oraganiztions like this.:)