A few days ago, I was walking Sheba and I noticed
2 dead crows in our neighborhood.
Than today walking Rocky around the block
Their were 3 more dead crows 1 block down and
on our street 2 dead crows.
The neighbors on our street had marked
near the crows a little sign do not remove, save for West
Nile testing.

Seeing all these dead birds is very depressing.

Does anybody have west nile in their area?

jazzcat
08-08-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think there have been any cases this summer but there were a few last summer and a horse even died from it.

I have to tell you, I looked at the title of your post and for a second I thought it said Willie Nelson dies. I was even wearing my glasses when I read it. LOL!!!

catnapper
08-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Thats scary. My SIL is petrified of the possiblity of the disease. She has a pond in her backyard thats not even 50 yards from the back door... and her greyhounds are always near it.

Desert Arabian
08-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes, we have West Nile in our area. There are sick and dead birds all over the place. I have noticed some weird acting squirrels too. I think the cats have been out twice this whole summer, same with the rats, because I am so afraid they will get it.

Albea
08-08-2004, 12:12 PM
There is West Nile virus in my area and it's worse than last summer.
There used to be many crows around my house every afternoon, but I haven't seen a single one this year. It's very sad.

molucass
08-08-2004, 12:38 PM
A couple of people have died here in Texas from the West Nile virus recently...

I know for sure one man died, and he used to live in the same city that I live in..:eek: I don't think he was infected here where I live though.

Toller 42
08-08-2004, 12:56 PM
We just got a bunch of west nile infected mosquitoes last year so now were filled with them.

Tiah
08-08-2004, 01:07 PM
My great-aunt (I believe) died from West-nile. Though old age I am sure had a factor, too.

wolflady
08-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
...because I am so afraid they will get it.

Luckily West Nile hasn't been seen to affect dogs or cats at this time. I built a little information page on my hospital website if anyone is interested in reading about it.
http://www.gilroyvet.com/388825.html

I believe that West Nile has finally arrived here too. There have been a couple of deaths, but I haven't heard much lately...

cali
08-08-2004, 01:18 PM
nope our wheather has been so horrable this summer only 2 of the kind of mosqitoes that carry west nile were even found, an I think ther has only been a couple dead birds :p

Desert Arabian
08-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Luckily West Nile hasn't been seen to affect dogs or cats at this time. I built a little information page on my hospital website if anyone is interested in reading about it.
http://www.gilroyvet.com/388825.html

Yes, it had hit dogs. Last year a Golden Retriever died from West Nile Virus in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. Horses are getting it left and right too, thank god there is a vaccine you can give them though.

KYS
08-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I went to your website wolflady and found
it very informative.

I am glad so far no dogs and cats have been effected.
I was worried about my senior dog, and also for
my human senior relatives.
I try to make sure their is no standing water around,
but I can not police what the neighbors do. :(
I understand the spray they use to kill the mosquitos also
kills the good bugs too. :(

Oops! posted to soon, just read YellowLabLover post
about the dead dog. :(

wolflady
08-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Yes, it had hit dogs. Last year a Golden Retriever died from West Nile Virus in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois. Horses are getting it left and right too, thank god there is a vaccine you can give them though.

Yes, unfortunately humans, horses and birds can get the disease.

According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control)
"AS FOR DOGS and cats, the virus does not seem to pose as much of a threat as it does for humans and horses. Stoll said that in 1999 there was one report of a feral kitten in New Jersey becoming infected and dying; and that there has been one confirmed death, in 1982 in Africa, of a dog attributed to West Nile virus. Stoll said that in the case of the dog, it had already been sick before contracting the virus.
"If the pet is not sick enough to go to the vet, we may never know about it," Stoll said.
Arias said that typically, dogs are infected with the virus, however, they rarely show signs of the disease."

Desert Arabian
08-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Yep....here's the news link: CLICKY (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/24/health/main523121.shtml)

Quote from article:

The College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana announced the animal deaths Tuesday. Two of the gray squirrels that tested positive for the disease were found in Chicago, researchers said. A third was found in Champaign.

For the first time officials confirm West Nile has killed a family's pet dog.The dog, an 8-year-old Irish setter-golden retriever mix, died in the Bloomington-Normal area.

I was in Bloomington-Normal the day the pup died. :( It was all over the radio. :( Poor baby.

wolflady
08-08-2004, 01:57 PM
That's scary! I may have to talk to my vet about this. I guess since it dosn't happen very often, it hasn't been addressed everywhere??!!

Has a vaccine for dogs and cats been developed? I know we don't have them available out here, but maybe it's different in the midwest?
Yuk :(

popcornbird
08-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I have heard the West Nile has arrived in CA, sadly. I think we've had one West Nile related death so far. There aren't many mosquitos in our area, but I saw one in the house several days ago, which I killed immediately (after he stung me...hehehe). My birds aren't going outside *at all*. I haven't seen a single dead bird in the area.......I'm not even sure if we have it in our city or not, but I know its in the state, and we're all trying to be careful.

Desert Arabian
08-08-2004, 02:08 PM
There is a joke amung Wisconsinites that our state bird is the mosquito, because there are so many here, it is nuts. Even our backyard is loaded with them, you look out the window and you can see little clouds of mosquitos above the grass.

There are no vaccines for dogs and cats that I am aware of, but I read in a different article that they are trying to make vaccines for dogs and cats.

"There may be other dogs that have been exposed," Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at the University of Illinois Director John Andrews told a USA Today reporter.

There is a West Nile vaccine, but it has been approved for use only in horses. Vaccines for dogs and cats are currently being developed.

I am sure rats and cats can get it too, that is why I am cautious with my ratties and kitties. Birds, horses, squirrels, and dogs have been shown to have it- so I am sure it can affect cats and rats. I just like to play it safe.

In fact, I just found proof that cats can get West Nile Virus:

Q. How do cats and dogs become infected with West Nile virus?
A. Dogs and cats become infected when bitten by an infected mosquito. There is also evidence that cats can become infected with the virus after eating experimentally infected mice.