PDA

View Full Version : We have some bones!

MariaM
08-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Edit: Warning, there are raw meat and bones pictures. I don't think there needs to be a warning, but it grossed my friend out so just in case.

I was thinking about feeding Major the raw diet. Yesterday I asked our butcher if he ever had any scraps, but if I needed some I probably wouldn't for a couple weeks. So today he phones my brother and tells him he has a box waiting for me. So...I go and get it since he's expecting me, and I come home with this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_2294.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_2295.jpg

Ok my question. These are beef bones...recreational bones. I think Major will stay on his kibble for now, unless the butcher tells me he has the bones that Major can actually eat. So...even though Major is on kibble, would it be okay if I gave him one of the bones every so often?

cloverfdx
08-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Clover just hopped on a plane, she is on the way to share Majors bones :) ;).

They look fine, and bones are good for keeping teeth clean etc, you may want to supervise him whilst he is chomping away on them though.

heinz57_79
08-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks a lot Maria! My screen is now covered in dog drool! ;) You've got another 4 pups on a plane to share those bones with Major! :D

MariaM
08-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Lol well you can have some! We ended up throwing quite a bit away...stuff that we didn't need. I kept a couple grocery bags full...we don't have the freezer space.

Shelteez2
08-07-2004, 05:18 PM
That's it. Now 2 shelties are hitch hiking along the trans canada headed towards Saskatchewan.......... LOL
I need to go buy some more bones. I can't find a butcher here that will just give me the scraps.

cali
08-07-2004, 07:55 PM
those bones are just fines for meals maria, my dogs get beef bones as meals all the time, the bones themselves simply last longer and can be kept for long periods of time as recreational bones :D if ya need any help with the Raw diet just ask, and specific questions are helpful lol I help a lot of people get started on the diet and I cant keep track of what specific people know or dont know lol I was just helping someone with this yesterday on another board..:p

LorraineO
08-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Be very careful to give him only the thick bones,, nonew with sharp ends or thin bones,, they can shard off and create terrible problems.. also,... not too many at a time,, its rich on the tummy!!!

You might consider freezing them,, dont want them to go rotten!!

anna_66
08-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Got room for 3 more dogs:D Angus, Roxey & Huney say those look pretty darn good!!!

cloverfdx
08-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Look out Major thats 10 dawgs heading your way ;).