PDA

View Full Version : Do your cats do this?

Tonya
08-06-2004, 09:44 PM
It's hard to explain, I hope I can...When my cats (Raven especially) are looking out the window, and they see a bird, there is this thing they do. They make this wierd sound, and their lower jaw opens wierd and it quivers. It like shakes. It's like they want the bird so bad. Do you know what I'm talking about? Do your cats do that?

slick
08-06-2004, 10:02 PM
That's purrrfectly normal Tonya. Speckles does it all the time when a bird lands on the balcony railing.

NKBurlington
08-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Oh yes. Perfectly normal and very funny!

catnapper
08-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Yessiree! I do believe they refer to it as "acking" in the furminology dictionary. Ack ack. LOL. Silly kitties!

Tonya
08-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Haha! I'm glad you don't think I'm crazy! What do you call it? Do you have a name for it?

I just call it Magoti. (I don't know the spelling.) My step-mom is Chamorro and that is a word that means when you want something or love something (or someone) so bad that you just want to squeeze it... There isn't really an English word for that.

Tonya
08-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I just remembered a good example of magoti. When Jaden was a baby, he'd get so excited to see me when I got home from work that he'd bite me on the shoulder and not let go. Owwwww!

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes, mine do it every time they see a birdie outside. I call it chattering.:)

In one of my cat books it calls it teeth chattering and it says that it's not really a communication noise but it's often produced when a cat sees something it wants but can't get to, such as a fly high on the wall or a bird on the other side of the window. The cat may be voicing it's frustration. The cat may also emit small bleating/nickering type noises as its teeth chatter.:)

trayi52
08-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeap, Grover does it too! She looks so funny! Now when Stubby does, he somehow manages to get out there and try to grab a few birds. LOL, I put a bell on him and now the birds hear him coming!

Ouch, Jaden must have had a good bite on him!! Poor you, and the expression of love!!

Willie:D

Tonya
08-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Chattering! That's a good way to describe it. :D

jazzcat
08-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Ripley is my big chatter and "acking" boy around here. The first time he did it years ago it freaked me out and my husband had to explain what he was doing since I'd never been around cats before.

nibblets
08-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Yep....everyday!

Craftlady
08-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Skinny and Thumper do it. Eleanor just looks at the birds.
I always say, "you talking to the birdies" and they chirp louder and faster. :)

Kirsten
08-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Ahhh yes!! :) The ack ack ack-sound!!! :) Mine do that also, especially Luna! It's so cute! :)

I think it's a result of over stimulation because they want to hunt so bad but cannot do it.

Kirsten

smokey the elder
08-07-2004, 08:03 AM
I just call it talking to birdies. Just curious, Tonya, what language is "magoti" from? It sounds Japanese.

rosethecopycat
08-07-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm familiar with the sound, but none of mine do it.

We don't have many birds outside, we live by a 'conservation area' (swamp)

The birds we do see are birds of prey, like hawks.
No outside kitties here.

And no 'acking'.

:(

catmandu
08-07-2004, 08:33 AM
In actaul fact,I hate to say this,but from what I have read,they are practicing,breaking the Birds neck! After all Cats,are the perfect Hunting Machine! I learned this when I saw Michael,Tiger and Princess tear a Squirrell apart!