PDA

View Full Version : In memory of Kuhio

kuhio98
08-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Today marks the two-year anniversary of losing Kuhio. For those of you who don't know, Kuhio was put to sleep by Animal Control the day after we were there looking for her. They didn't have her in their database (a clerical error they called it). They didn't have her in the "regular" cat room. She was in the infirmary. We weren't shown that room. We didn't know it existed. How could we? After we found out that Kuhio was put to sleep, we demanded to talk to the administrator who told us that it was our responsibility to ask about their policies! So, if you're ever looking for your lost baby, make sure you tear the place a part because we've heard of cats being found in the "dog room", etc. And if you work in a shelter, please take a little extra time to help out distraught people searching for their babies. A little extra effort on their part would have made all the difference in the world.

The only tribute we can think to do is to continue to tell her story in hopes that you remember it if (God forbid) your baby is ever missing.

Happy 2nd Bridge Day, Kuhio

Princess Kuhio,
Time has passed so quickly. I can’t believe it’s been 730 days since I last held you. I know that we will be reunited again one day when the time is right. Until then, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the 17 wonderful years we shared. You will never be forgotten.

I’d like to use the anniversary of your death to continue to spread the word about steps that can be taken when searching for a lost pet. A good resource document: http://www.petrescue.com/library/find-pet.htm

If we had had this information when you were missing (especially the part about looking in EVERY ROOM of the shelter), perhaps we would have found you in time to spare your life. We relied on the shelter personnel for direction. They never even mentioned looking in the infirmary. You were so close, but we didn’t know.

How I wish I had not taken off your collar. Your poor, little neck had been rubbed raw by all the tags and I thought I was doing you a kindness. We found a company that embroiders contact information right on the collar. http://www.k9collars.com/products.php?type=Cat
All our kitties now wear this breakaway collar.

We have learned about microchipping http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm
since you left us. Halo, Cammie and Pepper have all been chipped as well as your cousins, Molly and Seymour.

Until we meet again…

Kuhio 1985-2002

catmandu
08-07-2004, 09:04 AM
TheFound Cat Angels,say ,not to worry,Kuhio,is dong fine,even though,he does miss you! He is with the Pet Angel Army,currently,on a Luxury Cruise,in the Yucatan Penisula!`He says to say MMMMMEEEOOOOW,to his Dear Guardians! MMMMMMMEEEEEOOOOWWWWWW!

Equus217
08-07-2004, 03:19 PM
I do want to say thank you for sharing your story, even though it must be hard. I wouldn't have thought to microchip, since Vegas and Reno are indoors. After reading your story I plan to have all of my furkids microchipped. I know Kuhio's death was not in vain for I am positive you have saved many animals lives by sharing your story.

R.I.P sweet Kuhio, your story moved me to tears.
:(

jenluckenbach
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I cry and I cringe every time I hear about Kuhio. What an unforgivable mistake on their part. And it sounds like no compassion, either :(:( This is the kind of loss that is hard to get over and I admire your courage in retelling the story soley for the purpose of hoping to save others this pain.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

rosethecopycat
08-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Kuhio you are remembered and loved.

RIP dear one.

slick
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Oh I remember the story of Kuhio and it was so sad. Truly a lesson to be learned by all.

RIP Kuhio and I hope you are having fun at the RB.

Hugs to you Kuhio98!

moosmom
08-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Kuhio98,

Such a sad story! :( :( I never knew what happened to your precious Kuhio. How awful. At least you have educated people on what to do if their pet is lost. So, as bizarre as it may seem, Kuhio's VERY unnecessary passing had a bittersweet lesson behind it.

I'm so sorry for your sad loss.

lestool
08-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Ow, losing a member like that , leaves me speachless. And they don't seem to achknoledge there mistake on top of that Geeezzz. Well I sure hope your kuhio is showing my gizmo a good time at the RB.

QueenScoopalot
08-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Even with the passage of time, it never gets easier, but hopefully the good memories will overcome the bad. What you are doing in Kuhio's memory is such a positive thing. What a wonderful way to remember a dear friend. I'm trying to initiate a microchip program at the shelter I bring most of my rescues to. I told them I'm more than willing to learn to do the injection, if they spring for the scanner and chip costs. It is almost as easy as doing an FVRCP shot, which I'm very used to doing. RIP sweet forever loved Kuhio.

AmberLee
08-08-2004, 11:45 AM
!! I had forgotten Kuhio's story.

Frolick well at the bridge sweet K.... :( :(

jazzcat
08-08-2004, 11:57 AM
I too remember Kuhio's story and it is still just as heartbreaking today. Thank you for sharing it and helping to fight such a senseless tragedy.

Rest in Peace sweet Kuhio.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-08-2004, 01:41 PM
It breaks my heart every time I hear Kuhio's story. Bless you for continuing to spread the word, so that someone elase may be spared the heartache you have suffered.

Dear Kuhio, please know that you will never be forgotten. You have a special place in my heart, and I hope that you are at peace.

lizzielou742
08-09-2004, 07:47 AM
RIP, beautiful Kuhio. Kuhio's story moved me so much. I'm getting my cats microchipped (Sophie's going to have her done Sept. 17th, at the same time as her spay).

Kuhio you are loved!!!

DJFyrewolf36
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
This is so sad...I had never heard about Kuhio until now...:(

My parents RB puppy, Hidi almost went to the RB *She ended up at the RB because of age, lived to be 13* because of the same type of thing. The pound found her *some idiot left our gate open* and my parents got to the pound just as they were about to stick the needle in! Talk about close call, and she had a licence and she was registered but they said they couldn't find the records. Grrrrr...

Kuhio you are missed, play hard at the RB knowing you were loved by all who knew you.

Bless you for telling Kuhios story, so many will be saved because you choose to speak up!

kuhio98
08-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks everybody for all the kind words. Please feel free to cross post Kuhio's story wherever you think it will have an impact. Please remember it if you're ever looking for your lost baby (and indoor cats WILL get out from time-to-time) they are soooo determined! If you work at a shelter, please take the time to improve your shelter's system so that something like this need never happen again.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-20-2004, 01:50 AM
I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Poor Kuhio. I am sure he knows just how special he was and still is to your family, and that you tried your best to rescue him.
And for animal control, what a simple mistake that they could have corrected, it is a shame they did not care enough to give you a extra few moments of look around time, and that is a terrible tragedy in itself. Again, I am very sorry. :(

Mandy-Lee
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
People like that shouldn't even work in an animal shelter if they aren't thorough enough and kind enough to check every room for your lost baby! That makes me very angry and saddened. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read your story. I lost my baby...a little over a year ago....and I hate to think that could've and may have happened to her....ugh...my head!
I'm soo sorry..I want to cry and scream right now, but I'm at work, as usual when I read such sad stories :(
May you RIP....my prayers are with you.