PDA

View Full Version : This is a Photo question, help please

libracats
11-13-2001, 05:28 PM
Before I got my new scanner, a friend scanned some of my cats photos for me to use here.They turned out beautifully and I have put them onto my signature.The problem is that now I have a scanner and I scanned a few photos but they dont look the same. They are not as clear and the color is off. Here is examples. the 1st picture is the one my friend scanned and the second is the one I scanned. Can anyone tell me what may be the problem. Do I just have a crap scanner or am I doing it wrong? http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SZ/kS19387.jpg http://wsphotofews.excite.com/006/yK/Gx/gw/1a74934.jpg :confused:

sasvermont
11-13-2001, 06:35 PM
I think the authority here is probably Spencer...aka Chuck. He has helped me with putting photos on the messages and my profile and I suspect he is quite computer savy. I am not that familiar with scanners, although we do have one at the office. You know, not knowing what your cat looks like, the 2nd photo looks pretty good to me. My photos are not too terrific either. Good luck!

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: SasVermont ]

Phred
11-13-2001, 07:05 PM
Ah... Well... the First Kat's laying down, has Oriental eyes... Second Kitty is standing up, has dinner plate eyes, and is black & white! Don't think your scanner made all those changes! :rolleyes:

Seriously - the second photo has good detail of the callender behind the Kitty. Is the original photo really IN focus? Appears the the Kitty might have been too close to the camera to be in good focus. Your scanner can't "fix" problems that appear on the original photo - you'd have to use a photo editing program to try and sharpen the image.

Suggest you try some other photos - but be sure they are in focus and "look good" before you scan them.

libracats
11-13-2001, 07:31 PM
Ok maybe this will help. The first one is my friends scan. the second one(same picture) is mine. I tryed to put the setting on lighter but it made no difference.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SZ/kS19387.jpg http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/Wj/2s/S4/ME96120.jpg

Freckles
11-13-2001, 08:07 PM
What scanner and software does your friend use?
What scanner and software are you using?

Karen
11-14-2001, 07:35 AM
We do need to know kind of scanner you have, and what program you are using, It looks like your brightness/contrast is set too contrasty, and your overall darkness is too - well, dark! Giv us specifics, and I'm sure we'll be able to help. I have dealth with many many scanners, and image manipulations programs, so give u the specifics, and we'll see what we can do to help! :)

libracats
11-14-2001, 11:34 PM
Hi, Thanks for all your responses. I have a Xerox WorkCenter 940(this is an All in one machine, printer,scanner, copier & pc fax). The software is listed as ControlCentre 2.0/ Pagis Pro 3.0
I go to the Pagis inbox, put my picture in the scanner and hit prescan first to see it. I've tried to make ajustments but either it wont scan after I change things or it makes no change at all, like when I tried to lighten it. I guess I should just call Xerox. I thought this would be easier. Every one has such great photos here.I have some great photos also I would love to share but with the quality I'm getting right now it makes it look like I cant take pictures :rolleyes: Thanks again and any more help would be appriciated.

Freckles
11-25-2001, 11:14 AM
Hi Libracats. Was Xerox able to solve your problem??

libracats
11-25-2001, 07:19 PM
Hi Freckles, No, Xerox seemed as clueless as I am. They suggested first that the scanner might be defective but then they sent me to a basic scanning program on my computer called "imaging". I scanned the same picture and it came out clear and the right color. But you cant make any adjustments to it and it was a bit too light. Also I couldnt save it as gif or jpeg. But because the picture did come out looking clear, I now assume that the scanner is ok. I also tryed another software that came with the scanner called MGI photo suite. When I scan anything on that the picture scans really huge so its hard to tell if it looks good or not. I cant figure out how to reduce it. And when I saved it to jpeg it dissapeared??? I feel so stupid. I never thought I would have this much trouble.I'm still experimenting, so maybe one of these days,or years, I'll figure it out :rolleyes:

4 feline house
11-25-2001, 10:44 PM
Poor libracats! :(