PDA

View Full Version : My dad.....(story-ish)

DogLover9501
08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Okay, This morning, what I woke up to, made me want to tell you all about how much my dad has changed(animal-wise)!

This morning, I woke up to my dad calling Piddle in from the back door, because he wanted to take him in the car, he was only running to the store, a 5 minute drive, but he wanted them to come.

So he was calling him in this baby voice, asking him to go in the car, and then Piddle must have came to the door lol because I heard him saying(still baby voice) "Where were you! Get in there, bad boots!"

Anyway...way back when I was younger, my dad wasn't that much of a dog lover, he would NEVER hurt one, but he wasn't crazy about them.

The only breeds he knew of was probably German Shepherd(because we had one when I was a baby), Pom(because my mom also got one of those when I was 6 months old) and labrador retreiver, because that's what he got me when I was about 7 years old.

NOW He can tell me basically the breed of any dog he see's on the street or on TV(thanks to me ;)) he's more educated about all the dog stuff(food, health care...etc).

He also talks to ALL the dogs SO much, he calls Wiggles "Dad's Wig" when he talks to her, and also has this game only with her(from a puppy).

Piddle jumps up into my dads arms for a rub.

And Jasper, my dad just adores Jasper, last night he got home from work at 11:30pm and woke my mom up when he was talking to Jasper LOL.

This is pretty pointless, but I had to share, because I think he has NO IDEA how much they've stolen his heart ;)

lbaker
08-06-2004, 10:11 AM
My late husband was the much the same way about cats. Not long after we married his attitude changed (much like your dad) and I would have to turn my head sometimes so he wouldn't see my grin and then maybe he would be embarassed ;)

cloverfdx
08-06-2004, 10:17 AM
That is great, but not at all suprising as he has 3 wonderfull dogs to win him over and a daughter that teaches so well.

My Mum use to be shocking with dog breeds but i am slowly working with her on that one, and since Mum has been coming to our flyball comps she is always "What kind of dog is that?" to almost every dog we come across. :D

dukedogsmom
08-06-2004, 10:31 AM
That's so cute. Glad your dad has progressed so much! My dad spoils Duke rotten. I had to get him to quit feeding him so much. Finally got him trained on that.

chrissycat21
08-06-2004, 01:22 PM
My mom was never really a dog person until we got Snowy. I still don't think she is, but she does love Snowy to bits!

-Chrissy

My Peanuts
08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
My dad is kind of the same. My dad is what I would describe as a tough Harley driving, pull no punches kind of guy. I would picture him with a Rott or something like that. My dad always had dogs, but they were male and tough dogs. Even the small ones where tough. Then we got Angie my RB Shih Tzu. That was it, she made my dad into jello. She was his princess. When Angie died last year my dad was so upset he took 3 days off work. It was terrible, but it gives you some idea how close they were. Then we got Sylvia, the Pug, a similar breed and female. They are soooo close. It's so cute. My dad uses that same kind of baby voice too now. Mostly he did with Angie and now Sylvia, but sometimes with Harley too. :D It's too funny to see him with this tiny Pug following him around and then to hear that baby voice come out of his mouth.

Oh, also he won’t watch some of the stuff on Animal Planet because he can’t stand to see any animals in pain like on the vet shows or the rescue shows.

heinz57_79
08-06-2004, 01:50 PM
How cute! :) My dad is learning to tolerate animals much better. He has to! "Grampa" gets bombarded any time he comes to visit. :D As Bella says, "Those little monsters manage to weasel their way into your heart!" hehehe ;)

pitc9
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
What a great story!! I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you have a grin on your face from ear to ear!

I know how you feel. My hubby Rick, loves dogs, but when I brought Buddy home I was the only person Buddy liked. Slowly Buddy started warming up to people... everyone but Rick...:(
After 9 months and still nothing Rick said we had to find him another home. :( But I didn't give up!!! Then Rick started to realize what a WONDERFUL job Buddy always did of protecting me! I've even over heard him talking to his friends..
His friend once said "Hey Rick did you get rid of that dog that hates you yet??" And Rick replied "No, he's a great dog.. I never worry about Angie being home alone, or if she goes for a walk at night"

I was like WOO HOO!!! You Like Him... You Really Like Him!!
:D

DogLover9501
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Hehe, they all have their own ways to steal hearts ;)

tatsxxx11
08-06-2004, 05:14 PM
What a wonderful Daddy story:) Your Dad IS a doggie lover at heart:D Sometimes it just takes a while for THEM to realize it:) Thanks for sharing your Dad with us...he sounds like a sweetheart and you and the pups are blessed to have him as your Dad:)

Kfamr
08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
My dad's basically the same way, except he's been like this since I can remember. I've said this before, but he's constantly telling me i'll spoil Kiara by carrying her everywhere. Yet, he's the one who picks her and brings her EVERYWHERE, and talks baby to her 24/7.:p

DogLover9501
08-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
My dad's basically the same way, except he's been like this since I can remember. I've said this before, but he's constantly telling me i'll spoil Kiara by carrying her everywhere. Yet, he's the one who picks her and brings her EVERYWHERE, and talks baby to her 24/7.:p

LOL, my mom was the one like this since I could remember, Piddle is basically her 'baby' and she's always telling me not to take him from her lol, and if I have a butterscotch candy or any kind if ice cream(that he loves) she makes me save him some :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Toller 42
08-06-2004, 08:19 PM
My dad really didn't like any dog breed except for Rotties. Now he talks about wanting to adopt every dog from the shelter, he says if we move to a bigger house with a couple of acres (what we plan on doing) he wants to foster shelter dogs until they find good homes. Now we have 4 dogs and he loves them all and he's always talking to them in a baby voice.

RobiLee
08-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your dad with us. That is such a great story and is so heartwarming to hear.

I have enjoyed everyones stories here. It all just makes me happy!

Robin :)