PDA

View Full Version : I Have to let Emily Rose go...hearthbreak :-(

QueenScoopalot
08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Her edema has not subsided, and it looks like she'll never get over it. :( :( She has no feeling in any of her feet, especially her hind ones. It's not fair to keep her this way any longer. :( I know she's not comfortable, and I have no idea if she's in pain, but I feel now she's suffering. Her three brothers are feeling fine and romping, and wrestling, but I can't let this little girl go on like this anymore. I'm posting her pictures now, only to let ya'll know, not much has changed despite round the clock care. :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/SickLittleEmilyRose.jpg
She's so swollen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/SwollenEmily.jpg

It absolulty breaks my heart seeing this tiny sweetie so swollen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/PoorEmily.jpg

Sometimes.......Life IS NOT FAIR! AND YES, I"M CRYING! :(

lizzielou742
08-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Oh no...I'm so sorry QSA. She does look awful in those pictures. Poor little thing. You did all you could. I feel awful too. :( :( :( :(

rg_girlca
08-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Oh Jan, I am crying with you. Poor sweet Emily Rose. Those pictures are so heartbreaking. You did all you could for this precious little one.
I know how hard this must be for you. It is never an easy decision but it is for the best. Because you love her, you cannot let her go on suffering like this.
Bless you for trying your best to help her, but now it is time to let her go onto Rainbow Bridge, to suffer no more.

Big time (((((HUGS))))) for you dear lady.

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm so sorry! I can only imagine what it's like for those of you who do rescue to put so much into saving these animals only to have to lose them, or let them go when something like that happens. :( I know you did everything you could. Try to take comfort that her suffering will be ended and she'll be romping and chasing butterflies at the RB. Bless you for caring as much as you do!

kimlovescats
08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
please do!!! and thank you for all you've tried to do. :( :( :(

QueenScoopalot
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
If I took pictures today...she looks worse. :( The fur is gone from her legs..she can't stand up easily, and it's not fair to let her continue like this. :( I'm afraid she has necrosis.:(

QueenScoopalot
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
And it's CONTAGIOUS! :( The calicivirus, not the necrosis. I should be buying stock in Clorox as I'm going through so much to try to keep others from getting the virus. So far, so good, but I'm being extremely cautious for a while to come. *sigh*

slick
08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Oh Jan, those pictures just break my heart and I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Sweet Emily, soon your suffering will be over and you will grow big and strong at the RB. :( Travel safely little one. :( :(

Big hugs to you Jan for all that you do.

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh no! Contagious?? :eek: Is there a test for the other kitties? Are any of them showing any signs of possibly having the same problems? I'm so so sorry QSA.... You will be in my thoughts...

AmberLee
08-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Frolic well at the Bridge, sweetie. :( Soon there will be no more pain...

{{{Jan}}}

jazzcat
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Oh Jan, this just breaks my heart to see. Bless her heart and bless yours for trying so hard to save her. You are making the right decision for this precious little one. She deserve to be pain free.:(

Maresche
08-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Poor darling....

Bless her and you for all you do. You've saved so many and now to lose one through something you had no control over.

She knows you've done your best and will be a guardian angel for all the others who come through your doors.

sirrahbed
08-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Bless you for trying so hard Jan - we all know you are doing what is best for this sweet baby and cry along with you (((((Jan))))) Let her go....knowing that you tried and are doing what is right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/rose.gif RIP EMILY ROSE http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/heartbeat.gif

catcrazylady
08-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Jan I'm shedding tears with you. What a beautiful little girl who is suffering so. You are doing what is right for this little one and letting her go. You and Emily Rose have both put up one heck of a fight and as hard as it is to admit, you can't win them all.
God Bless you Jan for trying so hard and God Bless and gently welcome sweet Emily Rose.

Tonya
08-06-2004, 08:34 AM
You are doing the right thing. Emily knows that you tried, and she's ready to go play at rainbow bridge. God bless you for taking care of all these kittens. ((((hugs)))))

emily_the_spoiled
08-06-2004, 08:49 AM
I am sorry about Emily Rose, but you tried your best and it wasn't meant to be. Now she can play at the RB with all the other kitties without any pain :( :(

catmandu
08-06-2004, 08:53 AM
I too,am crying at the Sad Story of Emily Rose! And The Found CatAngels will keep a Vigil,at the Rainbow Bridge,for the Newset Eternal Kitten Angel,and will amke sure that she is Happy!She knows that you did your Best,and she Loves You!

DJFyrewolf36
08-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Prayers that the rest of the kittes are ok! You did everything you could for Emily, QSA! You're an angel for your efforts!

RIP sweet Emily Rose, play hard at the RB!

aki
08-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Jan, I am so sorry you have to make this decision! Sending up prayers for you to be strong for her brothers and sisters. God Bless! Autumn

moosmom
08-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Jan,

You did all you could for this little girl. You know yourself, when it's time to say enough is enough. Sweet Emily Rose has you to thank for taking her off the streets.

I feel your pain. I've been there too. It's not fun but at least in her short little life she had someone who loved her.

No one said life was fair, and in the cruel world of animal rescue, you have to do what is best for the animals.

RIP sweet Emily Rose. :(

Steffi N
08-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Poor sweet Emily Rose. Jan, you did everything you could and let Emily Rose feel your love. Now she will suffer no longer. Hugs for you and gentle farewell pets for Emily Rose.

rosethecopycat
08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
It really will be better for her on the other side.

Thank you for giving er the care she deserved, and having the strength to let her go.

Godspeed to the bridge, Emily Rose.

smokey the elder
08-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! Poor little kitty.

Mandy-Lee
08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Awl, that is so unfortunate for the baby girl. I would be so torn up...the pictures did it for me. The poor darlin'. I can't imagine how uncomfortable she must be. You're so strong to be able to do what you do. Sorry that there wasn't anything else you could do for her. It definately makes you wonder "WHY!?"

momoffuzzyfaces
08-06-2004, 01:01 PM
It's so hard to see through my tears I can only imagine how your heart is breaking. Sometimes you have to love them enough to let them go. I've had to do it and it's never easy.

Sometimes love hurts.

Be at peace at the Rainbow Bridge sweet, Emily Rose.
My Leroy is there. He will help you get aquainted and watch over you if you need a freind.

Equus217
08-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Oh QSA,
I am so sorry that you have to make such a difficult decision! Know that you tried your best for her and she loves you for it!!! She will be healthy and happy at the bridge, and all her pain will subside. Godspeed to the bridge sweet Emily Rose...and amy all our RB babies greet you with open arms!!

RIP sweet girl!!!:(

Kirsten
08-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Now I'm sitting here crying over sweet little Emily Rose... :(

Poor poor kitten, I know you will be much happier at the rainbow bridge than here on earth.

QSA, do you know for sure that this is caused by a mutated calici virus? It's so scary! Hope the others are alright!

Poor little darling! :(

Kirsten

QueenScoopalot
08-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Now I'm sitting here crying over sweet little Emily Rose... :(

Poor poor kitten, I know you will be much happier at the rainbow bridge than here on earth.

QSA, do you know for sure that this is caused by a mutated calici virus? It's so scary! Hope the others are alright!

Poor little darling! :(

Kirsten
Kirsten, All her/their symptoms are indicative of the horrible mutated form aka limping calici. I haven't let her go yet, it's not an easy descision to make, but one I think I have to. :( She no longer has the swelling on her face, or throat, but her legs are still swollen. :(

K & L
08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
What is your vet saying about all of this? What does he/she recommend?

K & L
08-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
And it's CONTAGIOUS! :(

I've never heard of this being contagious:

Necrosis means death of tissues, cells, or an organ in the body. This happens when not enough blood is supplied to the tissue, whether from injury, radiation, or chemicals. Once necrosis occurs, it is not reversible.

When substantial areas of tissue die due to a lack of blood supply, the condition is called gangrene.

QueenScoopalot
08-06-2004, 04:44 PM
K&L The virus can be shed for many months after the initial symptoms subside. Seeing as no others in the house have been sick in any way, I'm suspecting the mother is the carrier an infected her kittens. This is not the common calici virus that many of us have dealt with but a mutated form that's relatively new to the East Coast. If you type felinecalici virus into a search engine, there's quite a few atricles addressing this form of the virus. To my knowledge the FVRCP vaccines don't do a thing to ward off this awful virus. I posted this a while back...
HIGHLY VIRULENT FELINE CALICIVIRUS INFECTION
New outbreaks of a novel, highly virulent strain of feline calicivirus (FCV) have been reported in the northeastern United States. Kittens and adult cats that are infected show signs of subcutaneous swelling and edema of the face, pinnae and/or distal extremities; and ulceration and necrosis of skin in affected areas in more chronic cases. Other less consistent signs include rhinitis and conjunctivitis of variable severity, anorexia and death.

This outbreak shares features of the 1998-1999 epizootic of FCV in cats in California. Mortality in the California outbreak was reported to be 33-50% in field study cats. Multiple cases arose from cat-to-cat and fomite transmission after introduction of an affected cat into shelters, clinics or catteries. The preferred disinfectant is a 1:32 dilution of sodium hypochlorite (household bleach). Currently available FCV vaccines appear minimally effective in preventing disease by this novel, virulent isolate.
Here's another link..
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/Prog-ShelterMed/pdfs/HCUpdate8-5.pdf

K & L
08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
I thought in you're previous post you said Necrosis, and it's contagious. My error! So what is your vet saying about all of this? What are they recommending you do?

QueenScoopalot
08-06-2004, 05:14 PM
My error in typing that (that's what happens when I type in the dark) :rolleyes: I know necrosis isn't conatgious, guess I should edit that post for more clarity huh? I've had all the kittens on clavamox, antirobe (to kill anaerobic bacteria) and an appetite stimulant. The boys are fine now, but Emily maybe should see the vet one more time before I make a descision I don't want to make. Her feet are swelled up there doesn't seem to be any sensation in her toes when I pinch them. She is able to stand up, but prefers lying down. She is still eating, but not very well.
I found another link to another strain of this virus...this sounds even worse than the one I'm contending with. :(

http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/calici_outbreak_warning.htm

K & L
08-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Sounds like this baby needs immediate vet attention and should be in their hands!

catnapper
08-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Poor sweetheart Emily Rose. You will be in my thoughts. :(

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2004, 10:13 PM
QSA, I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Emily Rose.:( I've never heard of this disease either. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. I'm sure you'll make the right decision and I sure hope that your other cats and kittens won't get this terrible disease. Please take care.

MULTICATMOM
08-06-2004, 10:48 PM
:( :( WELL AS HARD AS IT IS TO SAY, IT'S FOR THE BEST:( I WAS HOLDING OUT HOPE...YOU PROBABLY SECRETLY WERE TOO. NOW SHE'S OFF TO PLAY, PAIN FREE:) I'LL BE HAPPY FOR HER SAKE... AND SAD FOR YOU (((QSA))) I KNOW YOU TRIED TO HELP HER:(

smokey the elder
08-07-2004, 08:14 AM
New diseases/mutations unfortunately don't only affect humans. Poor Emily Rose. Good wishes to you and the other cats that you can keep this contained.

Randi
08-07-2004, 09:18 AM
My heart breaks for this little girl. :( She is suffering the way she is now, so I think the decision to let her go is right. I know it's hard to do, but you have done all you can and she knows that. :)

Rest in Peace, sweet Emily Rose.