PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Noticing A Lot of this Lately...

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 07:12 PM
I figured this was a topic for the dog house... :)

I've been noticing an increasing amount of threads here turning into arguments. Usually, it's because someone said something that ended up insulting or hurting other PTers, which I do not think is right.

I absolutely believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's what makes places like this interesting; the fact that people have different ideas, opinions, etc. However, I think that sometimes one's opinions should not be voiced if they know it will cause undue hurt. I know just about everyone on here is passionate about spaying and neutering, which is understandable considering how many do rescue, etc. But I think that's different.

This forum and the threads in it should be used to educate. I dothink that if someone knows what they're going to say will hurt others on here, that it should not be said. It doesn't matter if it;s about race, religion, pets, sexual preference, etc. I don't think that anyone should have to be insulted. I know people will say things like, "Well they don't have to read the threads." Or "They don't have to reply." We all know it's not that simple. We come here to meet new people, to share about our furkids and to share ideas.

I've had my say. Sorry to rant, but I'm tired of seeing people being hurt by the mean things people say with no regard to others. I think we need to stick by the age old rule of kindergarten:

If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. :)

kingrattus
08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
I've been here for about 2 years now & its always been like that. That was one reason I left for so many months. I was hurt so badly & shared it & was attacked (1 person) & I couldn't handle it.. litterly went insane.

lovemyshiba
08-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I think it just gets that way every now and then, just like with a large group of people--everyone's not going to agree all the time.
Especially since you can't hear a tone on a computer screen, something someone writes may be interpreted the wrong way.

I try to just ignore it, it always passes.

Desert Arabian
08-05-2004, 09:39 PM
I can't help it sometimes. Most of the time I manage to not post for a long time, but eventually it gets to me, and I get really ticked and am forced to post. I can't help it, it's my personality- I have a short hot temper and bad attitude when people tick me off. But I am working on ignoring the people who make the stupid comments in the first place.

I agree though, it would be really nice if every thread didn't turn into an arguement. It's been like that for the 3 years I have been here, but I deal with it, I don't let it get to me to the point that I want to leave.

leslie flenner
08-05-2004, 09:57 PM
I figure- (and believe me, on other pet talk forums i have been a part of silly arguments) it's best to say nothing and leave it alone bla bla bla. Glad I didn't see it here- I might have succumbed to the urge to partake!

Barbara
08-06-2004, 03:44 AM
I am on this forum for quite some time and I have never been hurt or attacked:)

Sometimes, being a gossip person;) , I read the controversial threads but I never mix into them.

I love political discussions- but they are difficult to lead in the written form because you cannot modify your argument when you see you are hurting your friend.

My impression is that some people have fun to try how far they can go in communications. That's ok for me. Of course if you write in a style like that, looking for controversial topics, you know that you may end up being hurt.

I would run that risk in a personal conversation with a friend but I prefer not to look for it in a public forum:)

guster girl
08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't know, i think that's why things are posted in here. because they're controversial subjects and are bound to upset or hurt people. i feel like if you're sensitive or likely to be so hurt that it really affects you in life, the dog house should be avoided. i've been offended on this site before, but, as soon as i turn off my computer, it's all good.

catland
08-06-2004, 10:45 AM
I guess I don't read those threads. ;) It seems to be more prevelant in the summer months and then calms back down once school starts.

gini
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by catland
I guess I don't read those threads. ;) It seems to be more prevelant in the summer months and then calms back down once school starts.

I have been a member for four years.............and catland has hit the nail right on!

School starts and everything calms back down.

kitten645
08-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I read all the posts as often as I can. I like to see what people think. By the same token I am a very "look before you leap" type so I don't jump into a melee often. What amazes me is the brilliant eloquent members that choose to tangle with clearly stupid peeps here. What's to be gained with that? I understand different people deal with things in different ways and some can't help but answer idiot postings but it makes me crazy that these posts remain on the top of lists because they are answered. Ignore the idiots and they will fade. By the same token I see members held in high esteem because they post a million times and most of those million are dramas in their lives or worst yet how their latest pet isn't working out. Sadly most are youngsters and that isn't fair to those that are upstanding (popcorn etc) But there are several that are "adults" but very prone to "poor me" syndorme.
The entire kids vs furkids thing was so silly to me. I don't care for kids (other than my neices..LOL) but I'm not going to argue with a parent about their choices either. I think they should teach them manners. Something that is lacking these days in both kids and adults (don't get me started on cell phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
The oblivious nature of people these days makes me nutty(er) :D And lack of respect is the basis of all these problems.
Ending my ramblings...
C

micki76
08-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Very well said, kitten645.

Miss Meow
08-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by kitten645
... What amazes me is the brilliant eloquent members that choose to tangle with clearly stupid peeps here. ...
C

LOL! So wonderfully said :D

I try not to debate in electronic forums as they all too often become personal attacks. The 'attack the argument, not the person' flies straight out the window - just like those maniacs on the road who think they can abuse the living bejesus out of people because they are protected by a few bits of metal and steel. Too hard.