PDA

View Full Version : This will surprise EVERYONE!!!

davidpizzica
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Guess what, PTers, I didn't have my surgery yet!! As I was getting prepped for surgey, They noticed that I was dangerously low on potassium! So they posponed the surgery to August 18!! I did spend two days in the hospital anyhow to get pumped with 14 units of potassium so that my potassium level will be up for the next surgery. The nurse said that it was the most potassium ever given to one patient!! (good grief!) I survived it and I'll be on PT until the 18th. It was a BIG surprise to ME too!!

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Wow! :eek: at least the caught it now instead of on the table when something happens. Glad to hear you're still with us for a while! :)

catland
08-05-2004, 06:47 PM
We'll have Mario get some bananas for you David.

Well, I'm glad they caught the problem before instead of during your surgery. Sorry you have to wait for another two weeks but now you get to be back on PT again so its not all bad.:)

RedHedd
08-05-2004, 06:53 PM
LOL! When I saw the heading of this thread I thought WOW! He's back online already! Glad they caught the problem before you went under .... eat LOTS of bananas! :D

davidpizzica
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
Wow! :eek: at least the caught it now instead of on the table when something happens. Glad to hear you're still with us for a while! :) The doctors being that low on potassium it would have affected my heart and I MIGHT HAVE DIED ON THE TABLE!! Scary as you know what!!

slick
08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Oh David, you have absolutely NO idea how good it is to hear from you. Although the next couple of weeks waiting will be tough, please hang in there and lean on us as much as you want. We will always be here for you 24/7 :) and that's a promise!!!

CatMama78
08-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Goodness!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I'm glad your doctors caught it!!! Me, Wilber and Oreo will a keep on prayin for you and Oreo says if you need him to keep an eye on Nikki while you are recovering, he sure wouldn't mind. :D

tatsxxx11
08-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Thank goodness, David, the diligent medical team honed in on your chemistry!!! The "right" potassium is sooooo important reagarding heart funtion, trust me! :eek: Make sure you eat plenty of bananas and oranges in the meantime! Well, I'm glad they discovered the K + defecit...but I'm sorry not to be hearing the words..."resting comfortably!":D Can you stand the anticipation? Not sure that I'll be able! lol! Hang in there friend. Let's consider this a rehersal!

P.S...Re: Our last PM...Most of my recovery room patients awoke, looking up at my face, (or any RR nurse) mumbling the words..."It's an angel!":D (Not sure how to take that "heavenly" reference!) The rest of the patients, regardless of age, called out for their mommy!:) We're here for you friend! Count on it:)

slleipnir
08-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Wow! I'm glad they caught it before hand :D And it's great you'll be here till then :)

davidpizzica
08-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by slick
Oh David, you have absolutely NO idea how good it is to hear from you. Although the next couple of weeks waiting will be tough, please hang in there and lean on us as much as you want. We will always be here for you 24/7 :) and that's a promise!!! Slick, the doctors said if I would have gone thru the surgery with my potassium that low, I might have had a heart attack and DIED on the table!! Slick, you have NO IDEA how shaken up I was!! Getting all of that potassium back wasn't much fun either!

davidpizzica
08-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
Goodness!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I'm glad your doctors caught it!!! Me, Wilber and Oreo will a keep on prayin for you and Oreo says if you need him to keep an eye on Nikki while you are recovering, he sure wouldn't mind. :D I don't think Nikki would mind either!

Tonya
08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow! I am glad that they caught that. Welcome back to PT. :D

trayi52
08-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Wow, David, what a surprise! Does this mean I have to send two get well cards?;)

I'm glad they caught it before you went into surgery! Does getting that extra potassium make you feel any better physically?
Well anyway, eat lots of bananas and keep that potassium so you don't have to keep going through these waits.

Sure am glad you are okay, David!

Willie:)

Karen
08-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Banana sundaes every day! ;) So glad they checked - I guess THAT's why they do those annoying tests before any surgery, huh?

davidpizzica
08-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Wow, David, what a surprise! Does this mean I have to send two get well cards?;)

I'm glad they caught it before you went into surgery! Does getting that extra potassium make you feel any better physically?
Well anyway, eat lots of bananas and keep that potassium so you don't have to keep going through these waits.

Sure am glad you are okay, David!

Willie:) One card will do, Willie! The scary part was if they would have gone through with it, I might have had a heart attack and died!

G.P.girl
08-05-2004, 08:37 PM
wow! good thing they caught it! make sure and eat lots of bananas cause they have lots of potassium! it probly won't be fun waiting alll over again though.

Steffi N
08-05-2004, 08:47 PM
David, its really good that they found out about your low potassium. Did they give any reason why it was so low. Anyway I am glad your potassium is now up and I will only add to the advice to keep your kitchen stocked with bananas and oranges. Good to hear from you.

dappledoxie
08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Woa, very scary! Glad you are ok, and welcome back for the time being until surgery. Hugs!

jazzcat
08-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Nice to see you back. Now to agnozie for another 10 days or so. Good luck!

rg_girlca
08-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh David, wow, that is real scary. I use to hate those damn tests before surgery, but now I will welcome them.
That was too close for comfort.
Glad they caught it and to have you back with us.
Take care of yourself and like others have said, eat your bananas and oranges.

carole
08-05-2004, 11:03 PM
WOW David I missed this thread completely, luckily I started one about whether anyone had heard from you about your op, and got a reply, well I never, that was a close shave mate, I know you will have to go through all the agonising stress and nerves again, but it is a blessing that they found out your low potassium, you will have to borrow some of Mario's Bananas lol.

Well it will be good to have you back online until the 18th, I sent you a get well e card, but I can always send you another, lol. Take care and eat them Bananas from now on ok.

slick
08-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Make sure you check that mailbox daily! ;)

kimlovescats
08-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Oh goodness, David! I sure am glad they were thorough with your pre-op testing!!!:eek: Hope you are feeling better, and full of Potassium for the 18th!!! Take care and keep us posted!;)

Kim:)

Corinna
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm sorry you didn't have the surgery but like the rest glad they caught the low potassam. I guess you have shown who very important blood work is. Watch how many of those bannanas you eat remember blood sugar will keep you from the surgery next time if to high. Diabetic to diabetic fruit indulging is one thing I really miss . I loved spring and all the great fresh fruit man do I miss eating so much my stomuch would ache.
Will be praying on the 18th as I was on the 4th.
Do they say if your healing will be longer becouse of the diabetes ? I know my healing power is a lot slower since I have had it. good to hear from you.

slick
08-06-2004, 12:30 AM
sources of potassium

http://www.hoptechno.com/book29p.htm

davidpizzica
08-06-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
I'm sorry you didn't have the surgery but like the rest glad they caught the low potassam. I guess you have shown who very important blood work is. Watch how many of those bannanas you eat remember blood sugar will keep you from the surgery next time if to high. Diabetic to diabetic fruit indulging is one thing I really miss . I loved spring and all the great fresh fruit man do I miss eating so much my stomuch would ache.
Will be praying on the 18th as I was on the 4th.
Do they say if your healing will be longer becouse of the diabetes ? I know my healing power is a lot slower since I have had it. good to hear from you. Corinna, I plan to have one banana a day, plus I have potassium pills to take. Too scary to repeat!

davidpizzica
08-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Steffi N
David, its really good that they found out about your low potassium. Did they give any reason why it was so low. Anyway I am glad your potassium is now up and I will only add to the advice to keep your kitchen stocked with bananas and oranges. Good to hear from you. Yes, one of my other medicationsw was a little too strong and was interfering with the potassium. My regular doctor cut down on the dosage of the other medication.

Miss Meow
08-06-2004, 02:55 AM
David, you are so lucky.

A friend at work is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant and has dialysis every second day. Only a few weeks ago they took blood and he literally died because there was so little potassium in his body. Thankfully the medical staff were able to revive him. It was a dreadful shock to us all but he has had his diet and meds changed to keep him going until a donor kidney is found.

All the best for the operation. Keeping fingers crossed :)

Killearn Kitties
08-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Well I got a surprise seeing this. Not as big a surprise as you got, I think!! From the sound of it, you are very lucky the deficiency was discovered. I like the idea of that just being a rehersal and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the real performance! :)

lynnestankard
08-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Oh David - darn it!!! When it should be all over eh?
God bless those technicians - it's so good to know a good job is being done.
I must admit potassium isn't at the forefront of my mind on a daily basis!!
So - relax, eat sensibly and stock up on 'nanas:D :D

Lynne

davidpizzica
08-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Oh David - darn it!!! When it should be all over eh?
God bless those technicians - it's so good to know a good job is being done.
I must admit potassium isn't at the forefront of my mind on a daily basis!!
So - relax, eat sensibly and stock up on 'nanas:D :D

Lynne Lynne, I'll do exactly that, plus take my potassium pills! I want to be around to be your boytoy!!

lynnestankard
08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by david p
Lynne, I'll do exactly that, plus take my potassium pills! I want to be around to be your boytoy!!

Oh Goody!!! :D :D :D

Lynne

Lillycat
08-06-2004, 07:53 AM
glad this has had a good resolution! what a fright! on the funny side tho, wouldnt is have been a hoot if i had already sent my "get well" card? ....smile...

sirrahbed
08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
OMG David! I am SO glad they discovered this. Yes I am aware of the dangers - in fact - yesterday - I received a call from my doctor that I now need more bloodwork and medication because my own potassium is now low (I am in beginning kidney failure)
So - glad this was discovered and you are well and being treated prior to your surgery!!
That said..I found the PERFECT card and already sent it so you MUST hold onto it and read it again at the proper time. I LOVE that card and have never seen a funnier one!!! Enjoy now AND later OK??:D You can think of the nurse on that card as ME http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/1.gif though I think I am slightly more attractive.:p She and I have the same attitude.

DJFyrewolf36
08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Gee David, I'm glad they were really careful on those Pre op tests! Sometimes people can be careless and that causes huge problems! Glad to see you still with us on PT!

Albea
08-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Oh David, I'm so sorry you have to wait another two weeks yet, but it was certainly good that the problem was discovered ahead of the surgery.
I'll keep on sending good thoughts and wishing you a quick recovery.

Rachel
08-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Oh this is a shocker. I don't know why I didn't find this thread sooner as I have been checking in to see if anyone knew how you were doing.

It is a shame that the surgery isn't over and done with but then it would have been a bigger shame had you had the surgery in that condition. There must have been a few angels looking out for you. Now you have to promise you are not going to worry so much on the next scheduled date.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-06-2004, 12:36 PM
WOW, was I surprised (and happy) to see you on the bar thread. I just mailed your get well card this morning. No peeking until AFTER your surgery!

Glad they caught the potassium thing early. I always take potassium tablets. I tend to run on the low side too.

I'm sure if you play cards with him, Mario will share his bananas with you!
:D

ChrisH
08-07-2004, 08:33 AM
David, how scary! Kudos to them for discovering the deficiency in time though.

Chris

p.s. Like momoffuzzyfaces I posted a card to you before I knew of the delay, but I doubt that it will arrive until the end of next week anyway. You can peek away because I intend to try and find a better one to send for the 18th. :D

davidpizzica
08-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
WOW, was I surprised (and happy) to see you on the bar thread. I just mailed your get well card this morning. No peeking until AFTER your surgery!

Glad they caught the potassium thing early. I always take potassium tablets. I tend to run on the low side too.

I'm sure if you play cards with him, Mario will share his bananas with you!
:D MOFF, right now I have to take potassium pills the size of horse pills! These things are HUGE!