PDA

View Full Version : Scanner/Mac Question

prechrswife
08-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Does anyone else have a Mac and an HP psc series printer/scanner/copier? I would love to be able to post pictures of my furbabies, but we can't seem to get the scanner to work right. (We don't have a digital camera and have postponed that purchase until December, so I have to stick with the old fashioned film camera for now.:))

If anyone thinks you can help, we have a Mac G4 running OSX-Panther. The printer/scanner is a HP psc 1210v all-in-one.

Thanks!

jonza
08-06-2004, 07:01 AM
I have a G5 Mac running Panther, and I've had a LOT of problems with printer drivers for my HP cp1700 (A3 printer). The Deskjet 950 was no problem. Hewlett Packard have been very bad at upgrading their drivers and I'm sick of them. Luckily I have an Epson scanner - no problems there at all.

The only thing I can suggest is to update the driver (I don't know which version you've got).

HP printer drivers (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=90770&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=219)

Here's a link to HP's printer/scanner driver downloads. Version 6.3.4 seems to be the newest, but it fills over 55 Mbytes!!!

Hope that helps, I certainly won't be buying any printers from Hewlett Packard again! :mad: :mad: :mad:

prechrswife
08-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that later. We are getting tempted to bring our Canon scanner back from my husband's office to scan our pictures. We know it works.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I too have a G4 with OSX panther and we have a HP printer, but it's not a scanner, just a printer. We've had no problems with it working with the G4 or with my husbands G5 powerbook. We had problems with our old printer/scanner (I don't remember what it was, but not HP) working with the mac and that's why we got this one. I'm sorry, but I really can't help you, I'll ask my husband when he gets home, he may know better how to help you.

Karen
08-06-2004, 12:19 PM
From what software are you trying to scan? What happens? Does the prgram "see" the scanner, or not? The driver may be the problem, as mentioned. Trying downloading and installing a new OS X compatible driver, and that may help. If no OS X driver exists, try restaring under "classic" or System 9 and try it in that environment.

prechrswife
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
We thought we had the most recent driver, but there is an updated one on the HP website. Our newest adventure has been trying to get the driver to download. It gets to the point where it is almost finished and stops downloading with the message "Download failed." My husband finally gave up and ordered the free CD with the driver on it. We should have it in a week.

This whole thing has been odd. The printer and copier functions work great. It's just the scanner that has issues. We have been able to scan documents a few times, but that has taken multiple tries. Photos are a challenge all their own.

Thanks for the help.

prechrswife
08-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks to those who helped. The CD came today (earlier than expected) and we got the new driver installed. It's working like a charm, now!