PDA

View Full Version : Dog Park Info & Question

robinh
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I just joined a great dog park last evening Rovers Ranch Dog Park (http://www.roversranch.com/index.html). Going to be taking Kirby for basic obedience class too. Hoping to get all of my dogs a little more social interaction with non-family members (2 and 4 legged kind).

While we were there in the off leash area, one of the other dogs came racing up to Kirby and wanted to play - a pittie puppie. Really sweet, but so doggone happy and energetic she scared poor Kirby to death. Kiara's owner doesn't seem to have a real good handle on what he's doing. After than Kirby just wanted to be held or sit on my lap. I did try to talk to her to see if we could introduce her quietly, but she was just too hyper. Do dogs suffer from ADD or ADHD?

Can't wait to take the others to the park. Will be nice for Carly to play with dogs her own size. She's just so much taller than the rest of them she has to lay down most of the time to play.

They have an agility area where you can take the dogs through the equipment in an introductory way. I think they have a trainer come out once and a while to do demonstrations.

So far, I've only seen two kids at this park. Seems to be mostly adults. My dogs aren't used to kids. Maybe they'll get more exposure to that too.

How often do you go to your dog park?

ParNone
08-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi robin!

There's a pit puppy in Gully's puppy class. Last class they were playing with other. The pittie was very physical and rambunctious. Apparently he wasn't playing by Collie play etiquette :), because finally Gully growled at him to knock it off. I started to intervene, but the pittie backed off some and they continued playing again. Gully had to correct him one time and then soon after, a more suitable play companion arrived, an equally physical rambunctious Boxer. :) I don't think it's necessarily ADD, just different dogs/breeds have different behavior types. Murph is definitely more energetic and physical in his play then Oz or Gully are, but I wouldn't say he has ADD. He's just being a terrier.

Par...

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
My rotties are scared of some of those REALLY energetic terriers... JRTs terrify them! LoL In the dog park, it can take a few times for everyone to get used to everything. Just like in a preschool. Give it time, soon Kirby will be running around, rough n tumble-like, and will be setting her own boundries with the rest of the pups. Don't be too concerned! :) I've watched my dogs get rolled lots when they first started going. Now, they're holding their own! :D

We try to take them a couple times a week, but we haven't been in a week or so due to scheduling conflicts. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
We've been going to our Dog Park every few days, and we, and the dogs, love it! :)

Those terrors *cough* I mean terriers, are something else. ;) Molly and Daisy love to chase after them when they run, and they'll run around the whole entire dog park trying to play with them.

With the whole submissive/dominant thing, Daisy is very submissive. As soon as a larger dog comes up to her, she rolls on her back and waits until she has the "okay" to get up. ;) Better safe than sorry, I always say. Molly is dominant. She doesn't put up with stuff from other dogs; and they usually don't bother her, and if they do, they quickly learn not to mess with her.

I'm sure you'll have a fun time!

bckrazy
08-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I just joined a great dog park last evening Rovers Ranch Dog Park. Going to be taking Kirby for basic obedience class too. Hoping to get all of my dogs a little more social interaction with non-family members (2 and 4 legged kind).

aw, that is so awesum Robin! Your pups will thank you for it! Gonzo loves the dog park so much, he knows its one place where he can be crazy ;). We go usually 2-3 times a week, atleast once no matter what, or he'll be mad at me. hehe. Your dog park sounds amazing! The closest parks to us are just 3 kinda plain fenced in areas... the one we always go to, Pheonix Dog Park, is just about an acre of dirt (with the occasional grass clump) and the doggy owners bring all of the fun stuff - baby pools, balls, cleanup bags, chairs, hoses, and toys. I wish we had agility equiptment set up!

About the hyper puppy, you will find that A LOT of pups are like that, especially pitties!!! Labs are also the most wiggly, hyper pups ever! Gonzo isnt scared of the puppies but he does not tolerate rude pups that jump all over him.. he never hurts them, but he does become very vocal and will ignore them. The dog park is a great place to bring older pups because it really teaches them basic manners, and how to behave with dogs and people. I notice all of the puppies that come to the dog park regularly are very well-behaved and all of the dogs like them :D its just a matter of them getting used to eachother. Like Heinz said, its funny how our dogs typically like some breeds and dislike others... Gonzo does not like any black labs, he always avoids them or picks on them. I think its cos our neighbor has a older black lab who has always been mean to my boy. Just make sure you always keep an eye on your pups, learn their body language and behaviors and identify times when theyre too overwhelmed or scared. Also, you usually only wanna bring 2 dogs at once so you can keep track of them and handle them ok. 99% of my experiences at the dog park have all been wonderful, and Gonzo has made tons of long-time friends there that he loves! Hope you and your doggies have fun :D

bckrazy
08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
oh, and post some pics if you can! ;)

Toller 42
08-05-2004, 05:43 PM
it sounds like so much fun! i don't take my dogs to the dog park anymore because my dad thinks it's dangerous.

anna_66
08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
That sure sounds like a great place! I wish we had one in our town (or at least one that isn't 1/2 or more away:().

robinh
08-05-2004, 06:53 PM
This park is actually about 25 miles from home, but the owners regulate it. Vaccination proof required, written set of rules and expulsion for non-compliance. I like the two women who own it. They are real "dog people" - they have them, they understand them and they train them. Big difference from people who own dogs - as you well know.

I think once the kids get used to the whole idea, it'll be great. Right now the only dogs they get to play with are one another. They need others to fill out their personalities (if that makes sense). Kind of like people need other people and experiences to round out their lives.

chrissycat21
08-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I actually just took Snowy to the dog park today.

We don't get there much because its far, and Snowy is afraid of dogs larger than her ever since she was attacked as a puppy. She likes the people there more than the dogs, though.

Snowy is a very different dog when we go to the dog park sometimes. Today a huge german shepherd mix came up to her and I guess she didn't like him and she lunged at him. Being only about 8 inches from ground to head she missed, but we took her out until all of the bigger dogs left, and then she was ok. But the thing is, when she feels threatened by a small dog about her size, she rolls over and waits until they pass her.

Those terriors are something else! There was one at the dog park today and all he did was bark. Really, really loud!

-Chrissy