PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions please....a school matter..

carole
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
My daughter came home from school telling me that Maori (our indigenous people)children were given priority over all other children to join the self defence classes at school. The teacher telling her she was class B and they were class A.

I have to say I think this does seem unfair, and could and would be considered racist if it were the other way around, I know its not a big deal or anything, but it appears to be somewhat unfair, what do you think?

Tonya
08-04-2004, 11:51 PM
I've never heard of Maori, so I don't know what or who they are, but I think that is totally wrong and unfair! That is racism. I don't believe in emphasizing on races rather if it is positive or negative.

Fox-Gal
08-04-2004, 11:57 PM
I can see both side of it, in a way. I would guess that their thinking is that this group is more likely to need it, not afford it on thier own and to build self confidence in those children.

But then I can see your side too, why should one group be picked above another. It's one of those things where good intentions for one group left another group out. Their though behind it might have been good but they forgot about those other children in class B that now feel left out/ different for reasons they don't understand.

carole
08-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Well yes Tonya, I think it is a bit racist really, The Maori people are our brown coloured people, have you not seen a Maori Haka,? you would probably enjoy it.!!

I have nothing against our Maori people, and I embrace their language, as you can see below in my avatar, and our children have to learn Maori in school , its compulsory, its NZ's other language. I just know if it were the other way around, all hell would be let loose, I would like to hear the schools reasoning for doing this,I think they should explain themselves.

Kfamr
08-04-2004, 11:59 PM
I don't think anyone should have a oppurtunity that another person doesn't because of their Ethnic backgrounds. We're all people and deserve a choice no matter our backgrounds.

carole
08-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Fox-gal I just wanted to explain the course is Free to all children, and to be frank they donot need it more than any other children, more the opposite to be exact, but I hear what you are saying, I just donot like the manner in which my daughter's teacher who is Maori said you are class B and they are class A, that has undertones in it to me, or maybe I am just being too sensitive.

carole
08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
You know there may well be a good reason why these children have been given priority over others, but surely it is up to the teacher to explain this to the other children.

Fox-Gal
08-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by carole
You know there may well be a good reason why these children have been given priority over others, but surely it is up to the teacher to explain this to the other children.

That's what I was badly saying. It's not fair that the other children have no idea why they are left out and without a reason given, they are left to only think they are different in some way.

Oh and I didn't know that it was free or that they needed it less. I was just thinking from my area, where in our case they would need it more. My mistake, sorry.

That's puts a whole new light on it. If the teacher doesn't want to explain to the children for what ever reason why they are class B, then have her explain it to you. You have a right to know and clear up any thoughts in your daughter's mind and yours of why she is class B.

jazzcat
08-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by carole
Fox-gal I just wanted to explain the course is Free to all children, and to be frank they donot need it more than any other children, more the opposite to be exact, but I hear what you are saying, I just donot like the manner in which my daughter's teacher who is Maori said you are class B and they are class A, that has undertones in it to me, or maybe I am just being too sensitive.
I don't know if you're being too sensitive but I would feel the same way. Does this happen often??

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 01:01 AM
First off, I just wanna say that I love the Maori dances etc... They're really something! :)

But on the issue, I don't think it's really fair. I think as a parent you have the right to ask why they are given preference over the other children. I know if I were a parent I would be wondering why. Just to say "They are a minority and may need it more" isn't acceptable. That would be like offering all the white people who live on Tucson's Southside self defense lessons because they are a minority. I think you should ask and find out. :)

carole
08-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Yes my daughter thinks I should as well, but I don't want to get labeled a stirrer and make things difficult for her in anyway, and that can happen, I am not certain if this goes on much, probably does, we are just not aware of it, if other parents would be prepared to ask with me I would certainly like to find out their reasons. Maybe I should do it the cowards way and send an email asking? lol

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 04:51 PM
I can understand you not wanting to stir things up. Unfortunately, sometimes someone has to do it, one way or another. :) I'm guessing there are other parents who are of similar mind, but like you, don't want to cause trouble. Whether you call, go in or email, I think the situation should definitely be addressed. :)

carole
08-05-2004, 05:03 PM
I know you are right, if no-one says anything these things just continue to go on, I guess I had better get some back-bone here and at least address it one way or another, thanks for all your advice and opinions.