PDA

View Full Version : Where are your ancestors from?

wolfie
08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Mine are from Italy, Ireland, England, and Spain.

Sorry I could only list continents - you can't have that many choices for polls!

edit: oh, I forgot, Swedish too!

G.P.girl
08-04-2004, 08:39 PM
on my mom's side we're norwiegian, and we have one hungarian ancestor, i dont know the rest though. and on my dad's sid ei think Africa, but i don't really know cause he never talks about it.

Tonya
08-04-2004, 08:40 PM
My father is almost all French, my mother is mostly Cherokee Indian.

Felicia's Mom
08-04-2004, 08:47 PM
I am English, Scottish, Irish and German.

RubyMutt
08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Europe (Scandinavia to be more exact). Mostly Denmark and Norway, there's some Polish in me as well.

heinz57_79
08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
I've got Vikings on one side (Swedish) and Scottish Royalty on the other! woo hoo!! hehehe ;) I found out a few years ago that I'm a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce, 1st true king of Scotland, and my family still owns rights to a castle! :D Basically, I'm an angry drunk! LoL ;)

Kater
08-04-2004, 08:59 PM
My family hasn't kept the best records so I'm not entirely sure about my background. I think my family has been in America too long! Heehee. Anyway, I've been told that I'm some mixture of Scotch-Irish, German, English, Dutch, Welsh and French Huguenot. Here in Hawaii everyone just calls me "haole" though! ;):p

Karen
08-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Sweden, England, all parts of the British Isles (Scot, Irish, Welsh), French, German, Norman French (grandmother made that distinction), Native American (Micmac), French Canadian - basically most of Wetsren Europe, and parts of North America.

wolfie
08-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I've got Vikings on one side

cool! my grandma tells us that our Spanish ancestors were pirates! I chose to believe her. :p

Lillycat
08-04-2004, 09:03 PM
german and english on my fathers side.......german and irish on my mothers side.......

AmberLee
08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Shoot, shoot, shoot...

Mainly Europe: Ireland, England, Germany, the Alsace-Lorraine region of France, and Norway (I think...) mainly but there's a bit of Cherokee in my background too. The reason I was upset with myself was that there's also a great-great-great-great-grandmother from Brazil that I forgot when I was checking things off on the poll. :rolleyes: :p My memory stinks! Sorry.

Kfamr
08-04-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm just a mutt....

German, Scottish, Irish, and Cherokee. I'm sure there's lots of other things thrown in there.

wolfie
08-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
there's also a great-great-great-great-grandmother from Brazil that I forgot when I was checking things off on the poll. :rolleyes: :p My memory stinks! Sorry.

that's okay, we'll mentally add your other vote in!

Amber
08-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm part English and Irish :D

MariaM
08-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Amber - for some reason, you seem like you would be Irish! Lol maybe it's just that Elvis reminds me of that...never really thought about it before though.

I'm Ukranian...some German and Polish also I think.

sirrahbed
08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Mom's side - Poland - Kasimir Mrugalski and Stefania Sarnowski families
Dad's side - England - Rebecca Canada family

kingrattus
08-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Moms side:
Great Grandmother- Native American (I think it was the Mohawk Tribe in the USA, over 100 years ago)

Great grandfather took her to Canada, married her, had 9 kids, adopted one & he had an 11th while they broke up (only discoved the 11th a few years ago). He was French.
no other kinds on my mothers side

My moms side breeds like rabbits!! & I'm not kidding. From the 11 kids they each had about 4-7 kids each. Then those kids had about 2-6 each!! I'm family was the 2, my dad's side aren't rabbits.

Dad's side:
I don't know who's what only because I don't know most of the family only as high as my grandparents & their brothers & sisters.

There is Irish (mostly Irish), a bit of Wales, & Acadian (whatever that is).

I know one of my Irish great great great great...grandfathers was a Lord in Ireland!!

Rob side of the family:
Mother is 100% "insane" Ukrainian (which is German)

Father is Algonquin Indian.. he also is 1/2 french but denies it. French people are not well liked in the house with good reason, which I refuse to get further into on PT.

Amber
08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Amber - for some reason, you seem like you would be Irish! Lol maybe it's just that Elvis reminds me of that...never really thought about it before though.

Haha, yup! I'm part Irish from my moms side. Lol, Elvis reminds you of Irish? :p

Samantha Puppy
08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Mostly Scottish (I'm related to Robert the Bruce!), English, French, and German. My parents are very in to genealogy and have traced our direct family descendants back to medieval Europe and beyond.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-04-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm all American... a bit of everything, I think. I'm not sure what's on my moms side, but a good portion of my dad's side is english. (I think??)

KYS
08-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Great & Grandparents from England, Lithuanian &(Ukrain/Russia
which was part of the Soviet Union.)

wolflady
08-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Family history is so fascinating to me. I would really love to do some in-depth research on mine...

My dad's side of the family is French, German and Luxembourg

My mom's side of the family is German, Irish, Italian, Welsh and I can't remember what else!

Fox-Gal
08-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Acording to my a book my grandfather had, we go back to King Henery the 8th so that makes that side of the family English, I guess. I wish I knew what happened to that book, now that I'm older, I like to know a little more about our family history. I just remember as a child them saying something about us be related to the one that got her head cut off. :eek: Great family back ground. lol ;)

On the other side of the family, we are Irish, I think. All I know is my grandmother belonged to the Daughter of the American Revolution group and you can't be a part of that in less your family came over with the Mayflower.

That's about all I really know, I never had much interest in it till after they pasted and now it's to late to ask. As a kid when storys where told, all I wanted to do was go play. :D

Shelteez2
08-04-2004, 11:17 PM
My dad's side is Norwegian / German
My mom's side is Polish / English.

carole
08-04-2004, 11:26 PM
As far as I know I am just pure Scottish.:)

Desert Arabian
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
We have German, Polish, English, French, and Irish in our blood.

My ancestors have been in America since day one. I have ancestors that were in the original Jamestown colony and all died from illnesses around 1607. Many of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War.

I also had ancestors who fought in the Wars of the Roses (http://www.warsoftheroses.com/) in the 1400's in England. I believe King Henry VI was in rule then, I could be wrong.

Tons of my ancestors faught in the Civil War. A couple of my ancestors settled in Maryland and homesteaded on the Antietam Battlefield, right before the Civil War broke out.

There is a lady in Houston who is researching my family's history, and let me tell you, what she has found out is pretty cool. I never knew I had relatives that were on the Mayflower and were part of the first Jamestown Colony. :D

We've been around for ages!!

CountryWolf07
08-05-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm Italian/Irish/German/British (?) because of my last name, Counts.

jazzcat
08-05-2004, 12:38 AM
My mother's family name was traced back to Vikings and my father's side has some Irish and Scottish, I think.

AmberLee
08-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
...All I know is my grandmother belonged to the Daughter of the American Revolution group and you can't be a part of that in less your family came over with the Mayflower. ...

I believe you've mixed up the Mayflower Society and the DAR. For the DAR you just need to prove lineage to an ancestor who fought in either the American Revolution or the War of 1812, I believe.

I think it's also possible to request records from DAR, if you are interested, so you can see the lineage your grandmother used to enter via. There are others better versed than I in genealogy on this board, however, and I may be mistaken.

There are an astonishing number of genealogical based societies: DAR and SAR are the most recognized, but there's also Mayflower, and Sons of the Confederacy, and Daughters of the Golden West (and gazillon others!) ....

heinz57_79
08-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Mostly Scottish (I'm related to Robert the Bruce!), English, French, and German. My parents are very in to genealogy and have traced our direct family descendants back to medieval Europe and beyond.

OMG! We might be distant, distant cousins! If you read my reply, Robert the Bruce was like my great great great grandfather or some such thing... a direct line to my mom, and thus, to me!

COUSIN!! LoL :D

neko1
08-05-2004, 06:16 AM
I'm mostly German, some Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch.

primabella
08-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Both my parents were born in Italy and then immigrated to Canada. All their family is from there but since my father is from the south of Italy, we might have some Greek or Spanish ancestors. :)

cocker_luva
08-05-2004, 09:36 AM
mine are from
poland
germany
france
ireland
england
norway

and Cherokee indian

Doggirl
08-05-2004, 09:51 AM
I think its: South African, English, Irish, and Scottish though I'm not completely sure.

lovemyshiba
08-05-2004, 10:37 AM
On my dad's side we're Italian, and Polish on my mom's side.

My husband is a true mutt--his mom was adopted, so we've no idea where her ancestors came from, but his dad was Irish.

Holly's mom
08-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm mostly German, there's some deep dark secrets on my mom's dad's side, even my mom's mom wasn't sure what. My grandfather was born out of wedlock (which was a big deal in the early 1900's) and he was raised by nuns and a close family friend. Since both my grandma and grandpa have passed away, the truth will probably never be known. I did some geneology research several years ago, trying to find out, but I didn't get far with that. I did do some research on my grandmother's side and my dad's family's side and I found out some interesting things, even found the records where they came over on the Ellis Island website. I have a big thick folder on that, I'll have to organize it someday.

ChrisH
08-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Not being American I wasn't sure whether to post or not .... decided to skip the poll but reply anyway. :)
Don't know anything about my father, I only know about my mother's side of the family.

Maternal grandmother, Welsh.
Maternal grandfather, English.

My grandad was born into a large family in Wiltshire, England. When very young he walked from there to here, Wrexham, North Wales, to enlist in the Royal Welsh Fusilers, where he eventually reached the rank of Sergeant Major. He met and married my grandmother while in Wrexham and their 6 children were born in various places, depending on where he was stationed. My Uncle Fred was born in Ireland and my Mum and Uncle John were born in India. (My grandmother died in India and is buried there.) Not sure where the other three children were born, and as they are all dead now there isn't any way of finding out.

Chris

Tina
08-05-2004, 02:23 PM
My dad's side is German/Scottish

My mom's side I really don't know. I was always told my great grandma was a Indian, but now they are saying she came from overseas somewhere. They think might be from India but not sure.

So I don't really know much about my mom's side of the family.

DJFyrewolf36
08-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I've got Vikings on one side (Swedish) and Scottish Royalty on the other! woo hoo!! hehehe ;) I found out a few years ago that I'm a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce, 1st true king of Scotland, and my family still owns rights to a castle! :D Basically, I'm an angry drunk! LoL ;)

A toast to the Angry Drunks lol! Im Norwiegan, Sweedish and German :rolleyes: I don't know if thats a GOOD thing...I have a horible temper and Im the calm one of my family!

GoldenRetrLuver
08-05-2004, 05:36 PM
French, German, Scottish, Irish, English, Cherokee Indian, and who knows what else. :p

teenster3
08-05-2004, 10:42 PM
My dad's side is Norwegian, my mom's is German. My husband is a mutt.....a lot of French background, with Indian, & a bunch of other things!

davidpizzica
08-08-2004, 09:20 AM
I am all Italian on my father's side of the family and all Lithuanian on my mother's side. Which meant that I was raised on Italian pasta and potato pancakes and haluski!!

swimma253
08-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I am 100% polish.(sp?) My Mom and Dad are both 100% polish... ;)

chrissycat21
08-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Denmark, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Poland, and Russia. I know there are way more but I just can't remember....

-Chrissy

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by carole
As far as I know I am just pure Scottish.:)

Yep, me too, although I feel more South African than Scottish!