PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone keep up with saving the wolf population?

leslie flenner
08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2004/2004-08-03-09.asp#anchor6

Wolf Kill Costs Idaho Vigilante Dearly
MOSCOW, Idaho, August 3, 2004 (ENS) - The killing of a gray wolf has cost a Lewiston, Idaho man $21,252 and the loss of his hunting privileges nationwide for one year.

Robin Shafer pleaded guilty to the killing of a gray wolf on Thursday in federal court in Moscow. He was ordered to serve one year of probation with nationwide revocation of hunting privileges, and to pay the fine to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

Shafer was charged with violating the Endangered Species Act, including the killing, possession, and transport of a gray wolf, a threatened species.

Shafer admitted that he had shot and killed the wolf during a 2003 elk hunt near Elk River, Idaho, and that he had taken the tail of the wolf to his Lewiston residence. The wolf, an adult female, was not radio-collared.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Idaho Department of Fish and Game began investigating the case in late 2003 after the department received a tip from a concerned citizen.

State and federal investigators found the carcass of what appeared to be a wolf with its tail missing under about four feet of snow near the campsite Shafer had used during the 2003 elk season. The remains were sent to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's National Forensics Lab in Ashland, Oregon for confirmation.

The investigation indicated that the wolf had not been attacking or threatening Shafer when he shot it, and that he had transported the wolf carcass to his camp to show it to others.

Shafer is believed to have killed the wolf because of his opposition to the reintroduction of the species into Idaho. Sentencing Shafer, U.S. Magistrate Judge Mikel Williams said, "Regardless of whether you agree with the law or not, you can not engage in vigilantism."

Federal investigators requested that the court order Shafer to pay the restitution to an Idaho Fish and Game account where it will be used to help offset costs of the state's gray wolf management program.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is arranging payment of a monetary reward to the concerned citizen whose call initiated the investigation. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Law Enforcement Field Supervisor, Craig Tabor, said, "We hope that this penalty will serve as a deterrent to others who would take the law into their own hands, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to provide funds that will support Idaho's increasing role in wolf management."

The Interior Department is taking steps to hand more responsibility for wolf management to the states, including Idaho.

wolflady
08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm glad this jack@$$ was charged. I've been supporting save the wolf programs for years, but it seems like it's always the same sad story.

Some places are allowing regulated hunts again (like it's fair to tag wolves from a plane overhead :rolleyes: ) and there are so many people ignorant and adamant about wolf reintroduction. Particularly surrounding places like Yellowstone where everyone is putting up a fuss about the reintroduction efforts there. It's so sad and I feel so helpless for these misunderstood majestic animals :(

I sure hope that this story deters anyone else who thinks it's "cool" to kill a wolf.

leslie flenner
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
that idaho was one of the states that was allowing hunting again- could have sworn I saw that in the news a few months ago but then again, I skimmed cuz whatever I saw peed me off so i didn't want to hear it! I just hope they follow up with the sentence and don't let him slack off on fines...
and you know it'll just teach him and his buddies to be more quiet about it, as they sit around their campfire and 24 packs and "yuck yuck" it up about pulling the wool over the eyes of the law....A**h****!!

lizbud
08-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Yes, I have belonged to and supported the efforts of a
enviromental group called http://www.defenders.org/
(Defenders Of Wildlife) for some years now. They do wonderful
work for Wildlife & enviromental causes both educationaly
and legally. Please consider this source on wildlife issues.

leslie flenner
08-05-2004, 08:09 PM
I am glad to hear of your activeness in this area! how effective do you think the punishment of this guy will be in terms of detering him from repeating? And thank you for the website! Always good to learn about new sources!

wolflady
08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I agree, I hope they don't let this idiot slack off on the fine. Give him the maximum possibly sentence IMHO. Yes, I've contributed to defenders for the past 3 years.
When I lived in Indiana, I volunteered at Wolf Park (www.wolfpark.org) and they have a lot of support programs and great information available.
Some other sites that I have contributed to include:
International Wolf Center: http://www.wolf.org/wolves/index.asp
Wolf Education and Research Center: http://www.wolfcenter.org/

leslie flenner
08-06-2004, 07:39 PM
for more websites to check out! Here in Ipswich there is Wolf Hollow started by Paul Saffron who has since died. His wife and family and volunteers continue with the efforts and the family of wolves there (or is it social group- although there are some cast aways who have been kicked out by the group and so had to be separated lest they be killed- in nature, they would have been run off). Anyway, thier website is: wolfhollowipswich.org
Check it when ya'll get a chance- it's a small outfit so won't take time to read what they do and look at pics!

QueenScoopalot
08-06-2004, 07:47 PM
I also hope they don't let this Bubba get away without paying the fines. :mad: What if this female he killed for her tail has pups somewhere? Well I sure hope it teaches the jack*** a lesson. I haven't hear much about the Alaska wolf hunt where they run the wolves to exhaustion with airplanes, and then gun them down. :mad: I know for a while petitions were circulating to stop this hunt (?) but don't know if it was halted or not.

Glacier
08-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I also hope they don't let this Bubba get away without paying the fines. :mad: What if this female he killed for her tail has pups somewhere? Well I sure hope it teaches the jack*** a lesson. I haven't hear much about the Alaska wolf hunt where they run the wolves to exhaustion with airplanes, and then gun them down. :mad: I know for a while petitions were circulating to stop this hunt (?) but don't know if it was halted or not.

The Alaskan hunt was not stopped. They aren't allowed to chase to exhaustion, but can spot the animals and shoot (I think) from the plane. I don't agree with that kind of hunting, but the wolf situation is entirely different up here. There are more wolves here than people.

Personally I don't have much use for wolves. The next one who comes in my yard and tries to kill my dogs is going to the great Wolfie bridge. However, I also don't agree with what this moron did and think he was punished appropriately. He gives all responsible hunters a bad name.