PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had an "oops" cat, tell your story!

DJFyrewolf36
08-04-2004, 01:30 PM
I've been doing a lot of research online about Ocicats and Bengals *the two breeds do look similar in marking and body type. The Ocicat has a more meezerish way about it though* Remus has traits of both types of kitties, he has some Ocicat markings but he has the stouter build of a Begal and in some ways he acts very meezerish *very beautiful IMHO lol* The shelter doesn't have any background on him. Im begining to think that my little boy was an "ooops" from a breeder around here. There are both Ocicat and Bengal breeders and if something other than an intended breeding happened, I could see why *although I do NOT agree with this* they would dump him. Grrrr. This is why I hate breeders, well bad breeders anyhow. They are more concerned with what the cat will look like and how much they can charge for him than how he is going to act. Remus is a gem, I love his bouncy personality *One I don't think he is going to grow out of, acording to what I read both the Ocicat and the Bengal stay pretty bouncy throughout life*. He sure as heck seems like he is going to get HUGE too. He has real big pawsies and his ears have outgrown his head!

Have any of you had an "oops" kitty? I personally think that they are the best kities in the world! I wish whoever dumped Remus could see what a great little guy he really is instead of thinking of $$$$.

Oh and I forgot to metion what I mean by an "oops" cat. A cat whos existence wasn't planed because A the mother escaped and was caught by a Tom or B a Tom invaded someplace and found a female in heat. *Im sure you rescuers have seen this a whole lot :( *

Catsnclay
08-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Last year I was at a cat show, and struck up a conversation with a woman who turned out to not only be a Ocicat breeder but a neighbor! I asked her about adopting a *oops* Ocicat, I have no intentions of showing. Her response to me was that they almost never have a "bad" cat, and they spay & neuter ALL their cats before adoption (that got me to thinking...) Then she also said something I thought was quite strange, she said if I were to show a cat (they have to be left intact for showing) I would have to sign a binding release that I would NOT mate my cat for money making purposes. In other words I could not become a breeder off of her cat. I don't know how true or how binding that contract would be (or legal) but I thought it quite strange.

I do know that once a cat is "retired" they sometimes do get dumped at a shelter/Humane society.

From my understanding of an Ocicat, that breed was made up from mixing a DSH. Siamese and something else that for the life of me I cannot think of (because I'm typing!! :rolleyes: ) I'm sure with all your searching, you know the third mix to this!!

I just love the Ocicat also, and that is why I wanted one, but only as part of the family, not a working one!! :eek: :)

DJFyrewolf36
08-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Im starting to love Ocicats, then again I love ALL cats, oops or not!

I've heard a lot about kitten mills. Those REALLY disgust me because when they get a cat that isn't perfect it gets dumped even if it isn't weaned. :mad: most of the time on the side of the road and not even at a shelter. I'd rather a cat go to a kill shelter than a dumpster!

About those contracts, I think they are legal insofar that you can't legally breed from a breeders line without compinsating them for it in some way at least thats how it is for dogs. Some breeders have unique patterns or traits that they want to keep to thier line so they are hesitant to adopt out an animal unless its altered or the new owner signs a contract. With our RB doberman, Blue, we had to sign a contract saying that if we bred him and one of his offspring were in a show we would have to PAY the original breeder if the dog won! But he was an *ooops* too...too big *3 inches taller than the standard says otherwize he met the standards perfectly*, so no one would breed him :(. A shame really concidering he came from champion lines, but he wouldn't have won any shows anyway because of his size. *Which IMO is STUPID*

Catsnclay
08-04-2004, 04:56 PM
I noticed the Ocicats about 5 years ago when I first started attending cat shows. They caught my eye instantly ......just georgous :) :)

I hate to say this, but I really don't think I would ever pay for a cat.......I mean I purebread cat. There are so many unwanted cats out there it just kills me that people pay big $$$ for cats & dogs. I don't want to start anything with that statement, it is just my feeling. My MIL works for the local Humane Society and is keeping her eye out for a dumped Ocicat.....then its mine!! Of course I've got to convince the husband first :rolleyes: :D

catmandu
08-05-2004, 09:24 AM
RB Pouncer,was an OOPS Cat,an accidental breeding,of a Tortie,and a Gran Champion Siamese Cat!The Lady was so mad,she was going to throw Pouncer,in the garbage!

nibblets
08-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
RB Pouncer,was an OOPS Cat,an accidental breeding,of a Tortie,and a Gran Champion Siamese Cat!The Lady was so mad,she was going to throw Pouncer,in the garbage!
That is so sad that someone who works with cats and is around them all the time could be so cold and uncaring. I wouldn't make a good breeder, cuz I would love all my little oops just as much, if not more than my show cats.

DJFyrewolf36
08-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by nibblets
That is so sad that someone who works with cats and is around them all the time could be so cold and uncaring. I wouldn't make a good breeder, cuz I would love all my little oops just as much, if not more than my show cats.

I feel the same way Nibblets! Catsnclay, I agree with you too. I wouldn't pay for a purebread cat myself. Id much rather give a rejected cat a furrever home. Im glad you saved Pouncer Catmandu! I don't see how anyone could throw a kitten in the dumpster, but then again there are people who throw kids in the dumpster too :(

Catsnclay
08-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Its sad to say but some breeders are in the business just for the money, NOT the welfare of the animals.