PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's normal when a cat sleeps like this?

Kirsten
11-11-2001, 12:25 PM
http://home.t-online.de/home/0554132997/catsleep.jpg

Sorry for my poor drawing skills, but I didn't know how to describe this is words...

For several times, I saw Luna sleeping like this now, and she never did it before. Her chin on her blanket, her butt high in the air... Since I've read that cats hold their chin that way when they're having respiration problems (maybe due to heart failure), I'm a bit worried now. My Katz actually did it during her last weeks when her heart was in a very bad condition (she always slept with her head over the edge of a chair).
Luna is only 18 months old and I don't know how often heart problems can occur in younger cats. However, when I've tried to listen to her heartbeat the other day, I found that it was not regulary. I took her to the vet on Friday who couldn't say much because Luna's heart was beating too fast (she was very scared at the vet's). But the vet said if there was something that sounds too abnormal, she would have heard it though. She also informed me that cats have an arrhythmic heartbeat anyway, compared to humans, because it's kind of coupled to their respiration. Haven't heard about that so far.
But I'm still wondering about this strange sleeping position. I never saw a cat sleeping like that. What do you think about it?

Kirsten

TheAntiPam
11-11-2001, 01:05 PM
Wow, great observation! I don't have any info on this topic, but I sure want to hear the answer - both for Luna's sake and to know more about how my kitty's insides work.

We can never know too much about our pets, I think! I hope the answer is something simple and non-threatening for Luna! :)

Former User
11-11-2001, 04:42 PM
Wow, no idea Kirsten, but after Casper had his operation (THAT operation) he slept more or less the same way... I know Luna is a girl, but maybe she's got some sort of pain and this way she can sleep without the pain? Really hard to tell, sorry. Hopefully she'll be fine soon, and that there's nothing wrong with her. We'll keep her in our thoughts.

yorkster
11-11-2001, 04:50 PM
I have a male cat, 7 years old. He does this sometimes (has for years). I don't know what it means because I had never heard that it could be a problem. He gets regular vet check-ups and seems to feel fine, but now I wonder..........let us know if you find anything out one way or another.

Uniqueviking
11-12-2001, 05:40 AM
Kirsten, Beans sleeps like that very often too, and I never thought anything of it. Vet says she is a very healthy girl.

Have never seen the lil ones do it though!

Kirsten
11-12-2001, 01:11 PM
I asked the vet about that today, and she said Luna's probably doing this because she's too fat! :eek:
So, Viking, you're not the only one with a little fat seal! LOL

Casper & Kitty, I also thought that they might do it when they are in pain... :(

yorkster, that's a relief to hear that your kitty is doing this for years and is alright! :)

Kirsten

mruffruff
11-12-2001, 03:07 PM
Ghost does the same thing. And he's a fat cat! :D

Your drawing shows talent. Excellent line drawing.

yorkster
11-12-2001, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmm.......I guess my cat is a little overweight.

4 feline house
11-12-2001, 11:12 PM
I didn't answer before because the website hosting your picture was down, but now that I can see it I will have to say YES I have seen cats sleep like that MANY times and I doubt there's anything wrong with Luna just becuase she's adopted a new sleeping position. Absent any other signs or symptoms, I would just enjoy her cuteness.

wayne0214
11-13-2001, 08:32 AM
Kirsten: I would suspect that since your cat is yet young that this may be a phase she is going through. Also, any cat that survives the first 3 months of life without falling ill, or showing some major physical problem is probably OK. My cats do not sleep like that, but the kittens will get drowsy and hang their heads over a table or some other edge of furniture.

......Wayne :)

Kirsten
11-14-2001, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies! :)
I guess you're right and it's nothing to worry about, at least I hope so.

Luna isn't doing this very often so I think it's nothing wrong with her.
You have to know, I had a cat that was seriously ill during the last couple of years, I lost her last year and it was very hard for me. Maybe this is the reason why I'm so worried about Luna all the time, it's still in my blood...

Kirsten

Freckles
01-21-2002, 02:52 PM
http://home.sprintmail.com/~jwalborn/_uimages/freckshide.jpg

NoahsMommy
01-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Noah sleeps like that occasionally too. Ususally it's when we're sleeping in bed and my arm or shoulder is being used as a pillow.

Freckles, cute picture! Noel does this during the night!!

Pam
01-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Freckles, I love that picture!! :D :D I can't tell you how many times we have had *lumps* under the bedspread! At first I was afraid they would smother but after several years of sleeping like that they are still alive! Great picture!!!!!!

tatsxxx11
01-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Kirsten...How is Luna doing?? I hope she is well and you are finding out, as many of us have, that these creatures get themselves into the most peculiar "positions!!" Sometimes my guys will lie on the counter and hang their heads over the edge, just staring at the floor!!:rolleyes:

And Freckles...That photo is priceless! Let me guess. You just changed the sheets??? Mine are so stubborn sometimes when I change the sheets, I just keep going and "tuck" them in!!:D

Freckles
01-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Sandra, I make my bed early morning. In the picture, notice to the right of the pillow? At least once a day she'll burrow down from the top and spend several hours nice and cozy!

tatsxxx11
01-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! How sweet. Don't you want to "come back" as a kitty??:) What a life. I used to worry they would suffocate under there, and kept losening the tuck in the sheets and checking to make sure they were breathing!:rolleyes:

Daisymay_09
01-23-2002, 08:45 PM
my 10 year old male tabby named Chaucer always sleeps like that. He almost never sleeps in other ways;)

LoudLou
01-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Mocha Bean sleeps that way too, we call it the "Turkey Pose" cause she looks like a Thanksgiving Turkey when she does it!:)

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 09:30 PM
My kids sleep just about every position possible, and a few that challenge my belief in gravity. They do seem to like the 'over the ledge' "Kilroy was here" droop, though.

Do your fur-kids do this too?

..---..|\_______/|..---
--....-|..............|-...---
..|..| | ___..___..|.|..|
..|..| ..\............/..|..|
..ww.... \........./...ww
.............\..^../
..............----

Karen
01-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Normal? Cat sleeping positions? Those are not thoughts that "normally" form together in my head. Though the "kilroy kitty" reminds me of one of my brother's cats, Lucas - all black long-haired boy with green eyes and a traumatic kittenhood behind him - when my brother sleeps, Lucas often perches on the headboard over him, so when my brother wakes up he looks up to see two glowing green eyes and all else black - startling the first few times, but hey, we cut Lucas some slack and figures he's about as "normal" as one could expect!

AmberLee
01-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Dear Karen,

Hee, hee, hee. Love the mental pictures of your brother waking up and seeing Lucas. :D