PDA

View Full Version : Puppy stolen from theme park

BitsyNaceyDog
08-03-2004, 04:46 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/3610991/detail.html

Universal Theme Park Loses Puppy Left At Kennel

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Universal Orlando theme park is in the doghouse after losing a puppy a guest had left at its kennel.
oe Wheat thought Connor, a 4-month-old white Labrador retriever, was in good hands during his visit on Saturday. And Connor was, until the moment the kennel handed him to someone else.

"We take care of more than 5,000 animals a year, and this is the first time we've ever faced a situation like this," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said Tuesday. "We're very good at caring for people's animals."

The situation is urgent for Wheat, an optometrist. He currently lives in Jacksonville, but is moving to Houston.

"Now I'm thinking I'm going to stay in the area for a few weeks to see how this resolves itself," Wheat said. "I'm hoping I won't leave alone."

Wheat said when he dropped off Connor, with his favorite chew toy, at the 117-cage kennel on Saturday afternoon, he filled out a form that asked for information on himself and his dog. He should've received a pink duplicate that acts as a claim ticket, but didn't.

When Wheat returned about six hours later to retrieve his retriever, Connor was gone. The dog had been checked out by someone with the ticket.

The next day, Sunday, Wheat went back to Universal and found Conner's toy in the park's RV parking lot, about 300 feet away from the kennel. Wheat said he was upset park officials wouldn't let him review security tapes.

Now theme park investigators are, among other things, talking to kennel employees and tracking down records to find the puppy.

"At this point, we're trying to understand what happened and, and more importantly, trying to get Conner back to Mr. Wheat," Schroder said.

Cinder & Smoke
08-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix

... He should've received a pink duplicate
that acts as a claim ticket, but didn't.

Connor was gone.
The dog had been checked out by someone with the ticket.

... park officials wouldn't let him review security tapes.

WOW! :eek:

I'd be so :mad: that they'd probably have had to restrain me!

Sounds like an inside job where a Kennel Employee withheld
the Claim Ticket and sold/gave it to an accomplice!

*Prayers* that Mr. Wheat manages to get Connor back, safe & sound!

/s/ Phred

tatsxxx11
08-03-2004, 06:17 PM
How heartbreaking:(:(:( I can only imagine how devastated Mr. Wheat must be. Poor Connor:( I hope and pray they can determine how this happened and return Connor back to his family.

heinz57_79
08-03-2004, 06:24 PM
I'd be devastated and FURIOUS! :mad: If it were me, someone had better get me my dog back, I tell you what!! I'd also be taking the amusement park for everything they've got! Definitely sounds like an inside job to me. Poor Connor.... he probably has no idea what's going on.... :(

Tonya
08-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I'd be so mad! :mad:

KYS
08-03-2004, 07:18 PM
My heart is breaking for Mr. Wheat.
I can only imagaine the pain and worry he must
be going through.
I wonder if it was an inside job?
Why did someone else get Mr. Wheats claim
ticket.
I hope this story has a happy ending.

cocker_luva
08-03-2004, 10:09 PM
im sorry this happened. :( but why take a dog to a theme park anyway?!? :rolleyes: not to be rude, but it was bound to happen. :( i hope they get the pup back, soon!:D

BitsyNaceyDog
08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
im sorry this happened. :( but why take a dog to a theme park anyway?!? :rolleyes: not to be rude, but it was bound to happen. :( i hope they get the pup back, soon!:D

All the theme parks around here have kennels. A lot people use them if they are traveling with their dog but can't leave them in their hotel room or RV. Some people even use them so their dog isn't left in the house all day without a walk. I personally would never use a theme park kennel, especially now.

Twisterdog
08-03-2004, 11:39 PM
It is indeed a sad and mixed-up world when tens of thousands of dogs - many of them purebreds, many of the labs - are killed in shelters every day ... and someone steals one from it's owner. :(

Tonya
08-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva

I know, especially since he lived in the area. That's be my last resort to leave them there. Although, I had been curious to how they are. Now I know.

chrissycat21
08-04-2004, 10:28 AM
The poor little dog! I could not imagine how upset Mr. Wheat is. I would be so mad if anything like that had ever happened to one of my babies. I hope this story has a very happy ending. :(

-Chrissy

lv4dogs
08-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Wow I'd be so furious that they would have to have 5000 people restrain me. And I WOULD get to look at the security tape. I WOULD get my dog back & then some!!!!

But I also would never leave a dog at a place like that, ESPECIALLY without getting a receipt of any kind. Come on now, common sense, leave a beloved pet w/ an unfarmiliar place & get no records of leaving your dog there. Hello. I wouldn't of even left there until I had something that stated my dog was there and it would also include any special instructions I left too.

dappledoxie
08-04-2004, 05:49 PM
How awful!! I really hope they get him back!