PDA

View Full Version : Magoo is going to the White Coats!!

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
We have an appointment for Magoo this afternoon. This will be the first time our regular vet has seen him. His cyst is huge! I'm hoping that there is something we can do to keep this thing from constantly refilling. I hate to think that we keep having to take him to get it drained. Poor guy!

Here are some pictures of how big this thing has gotten.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pc8c9eb55e7732ff4dc92a384b296bb53/f7944ccb.jpg

You can really see it in these next few pictures
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p7723c5800be5c024c469f85aa60899d9/f7944ca5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p58888e9f3ba4a188ca7d003fcc3d22f5/f7944cc1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pabb2efe4c7d789300cf947abdaca4597/f7944c94.jpg

Magoo says..."what's everybody lookin at?"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p0150d6f42d1dbcf730ad3dffbc95566f/f7944cb4.jpg

I hope I can do some after pictures and it's all gone. I really don't know what our regular vet will do. I will keep you posted as soon as we get back.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Good luck Magoo! And you too, Lisa. I know how much this little tank has grown on you, so I hope only the best for him. :)

Craftlady
08-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Poor thing. Good luck at the vets. I hate to say, it's not obvious to me where the boo boo area is located. All I see is cute fur and lots of it. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Lisa, hope you don't mind but I took one of Magoo's pics and circled the cyst so others can see what you're talking about. It looks bigger than last time so I sure hope they can find some sort of resolution so it doesn't keep coming back for the poor guy.

The circled part is all bulged out. When you're looking at his face, compare the right side to the left side. One is bulgy the other looks normal.

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Craftlady, looking at him it's his left eye. In the pictures where he his laying it's the "eye" thats up. Unfortunately, that isn't fur. It's swelling and the skin underneath is real shiny. It's stretched pretty far.

Thanks for the well wishes.

catland
08-03-2004, 01:40 PM
no wonder he hasn't been himself lately. Good luck Magoo.

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Debbie, we were posting at the same time! Of course I don't mind that you did that. As a matter of fact...I thank you!! I guess it's so obvious to me that I assume everyone will be able to see it. Sorry about that folks.

Grace
08-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Poor Magoo - sending kisses and hugs and lots of special prayers for that adorable guy.

jazzcat
08-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Poor Magoo! That really looks painful. I hope the vet is able to do something so he won't have to keep suffering through this.

Hugs and smooches for the sweetie.

Uabassoon
I hope Magoo's visit goes well and they are able to fix up that cyst without much trouble. Magoo is still looking just as cute as ever. He looks adorable playing with the ribbon.

catlover4ever
Lisa good luck with Magoo. Please give him a big hug and kiss from me and tell him I hope he feels better.

P.S. Don't forget to keep us posted (although I know you will) ;)

Craftlady
08-03-2004, 02:18 PM
I see it now that it was circled in the photo. It's hard to see details in a photo sometimes. Hope everything goes well tonight. :)

sasvermont
08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Oh please let Mr. Magoo be fine after his proceedure. I hope the vet figures out what is happening to his eye socket. I suspect someone will have to reopen the incision/closing to clean it up? Since I am not a vet, I have not a clue as to what it could be. Is the affected eye the eye that was just operated on or is the one that was done long ago? Just curious.

Poor Mr. Magoo. He is such a little darling.

Hugs to you and your mom, Magooster!

nibblets
08-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Good luck Sweet little Magoo...be a brave little soldier!

carla and mike
08-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Poor little guy.
I find myself thinking of this cat often.
He really looks like sweet cat.Poor thing.
I'm sure everything will go fine.
Keep us posted.;)

aly
08-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Good luck Magoo, be good at the vet so you don't embarrass mommy :)

Cataholic
08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Good luck at the white coats, Mr. Magoo!! Stay tough and strong.

kimlovescats
08-03-2004, 02:52 PM
OUCH... that thing is huge! :eek: Poor Magoo, and poor worried meomie!!!:( Magoo is such a survivor, he will be fine, Lisa... I just know it!

Hugs and prayers for you both!;)

Kim;)

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Good luck Mr Magoo!! Im with Carla and Mike, Magoo has touched me too and I find myself wondering how he is. I hope the white coats can patch you up big guy!

*scritches* for you!

QueenScoopalot
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm holding my breath that all will go well with Magoo's white coat visit. If you don't hear from me ever again, it's because I passed out, and was buried alive under mountains of hot purring cats! Purrs to you and Magoo!

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Update:

We're back and we are never taking Magoo there again. I really like our vet and he has been very good to all of our cats. He saved Pervy's life and has gotten all of our others over whatever ailments they were suffering. BUT he won't see Magoo anymore!
We went into the exam room and I gave him Magoo's history. He looked at Magoo and felt around on his eye and looked me dead in the eye and said "Why didn't they put this poor thing down?" I was blown away!! I looked at him and said "Why should they? He plays like crazy, he gets lots of love, and he gets along well with our other cats. He obviously eats well and is basically very happy." The vet would make no other comments about that statement. I repeated throughout the exam just how capable Magoo is and he still never responded. Hubby was giving me that look, you know the one that says leave it alone. Hubby was shocked by the statement too and said Magoo will not go back there. Hubby keeps telling Magoo that he hopes nobody puts him down if he goes blind! Hubby just didn't want me getting into the debate with the vet. I'm pretty stressed right now and hubby knew this could get ugly.
I will continue to use him for our other cats because he has taken such good care of them and he is very affordable but Magoo will go elsewhere.
I also told him about the medication that Magoo is on to help keep him from freaking out. He looked shocked and said "You can't keep him on that for the rest of his life!!" I said why not? He again looked me dead in the eye and said "that would be like you taking Prozac for the rest of your life!" SO! Lots of people are on antidepressants for life! BIG DEAL! He told me to wean him off of that. NOT! Magoo is down to a quarter of a small pill twice a day and I'm not taking him off of it yet. Not after the other night. So I found out my vet is very old school with old ideas. I guess I will have to get a second job if Magoo gets really sick! GEESH!

Now on to the medical part of this story. First the vet said Magoo had an abscess and I explained that we had it drained once and it was clear liquid. It was a cyst not an abscess. I left the room when he drained it but hubby said he got two very large syringes (sp) full. It was all clear. He gave him an antibiotic shot and a shot of cortizone. He also gave him two antibiotic pills to take for about a week and said he hoped that would help keep the cyst from coming back. If it continued it would eventually need to opened up again to see what was going on back there. I thougt to myself that he would definately NOT be doing the surgery if it comes to that!!!
Sorry this is so long but I had to get that off of my chest!

Magoo looks much better and he didn't even flinch when he drained the cyst. He did however express his opinion about the shots! If hubby hadn't had a good hold of Magoo the vet would now be getting stitches which I think he would deserve! Magoo was going to show him just how capable he is!!! Hubby gave Magoo a big pat on the head for going after the vet. Hubby told Magoo that he knew he only did that because he heard the doc say he should have been PTS.
All in all it has been another adventure that I could have done without! Now I need PROZAC!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

BastetsMum
08-03-2004, 03:44 PM
EEK! darned old fashioned vets!

I would do the same as well - not take dear Magoo back to your regular vet. Glad he is feeling ok :)

AmberLee
08-03-2004, 03:51 PM
OMG! {{{hugs to you and hubby to deal with stress; snugglebunnies (or would he prefer treats? *grin*) to Magooster!}}}

Craftlady
08-03-2004, 03:54 PM
WOW that sure was an experience with your vet. I think I would of shot out a statement like "glad your not a human doctor, guess you wouldn't treat handicapped people". Your vet was so out of line. I'd find a new one to take everyone too, if it were me after that experience.

emily_the_spoiled
08-03-2004, 03:59 PM
I am sorry that you had such a horrid experience with your vet. But I am really glad that Mr. Magoo is doing better (which is the while point). Hopefully between the shots and the pills this will take care of the problem (and you won't have to deal with your vet again for along long time)...

jazzcat
08-03-2004, 04:00 PM
:eek: :eek: What??? I'm glad you won't be taking Magoo back there. Sorry you had to deal with something that rude and ridiculous. That vet needs a good swift kick in the rear.

I hope this treatment will take care of the cyst but I wouldn't be surprise if it didn't. I'm sure you aren't holding your breath.

Poor Magoo, give him lots of hugs for me for being so good at the vet and not showing him what he thought of that close minded opinion.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-03-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that on top of everything else you've been dealing with lately. :rolleyes: I just don't understand why people - much less Vets - say such things when they can see the kitty is obviously well taken care of and loved. Don't they know such comments can only hurt? I'm glad your hubby was there to help calm *you* down. ;)

In the process of finding a new vet for Magoo, you might just find one that you like a lot better, even if you have been going to this guy for a long time. I'm finding that out since I took Peanut to somebody else when my regular vet couldn't get her in quick enough when she had her UTI. These people are sooo nice and sooo understanding and sooo friendly that I've been considering switching Tubby over too. The one that Tubby still goes to is fine, and they've always been nice and everything, but this new one just really blows them away in the "bedside manner" category.

Anyway, I'm glad Magoo's cyst is drained for now. Hopefully the antibiotics will do their thing and it won't come back again - and if it does, hopefully it won't be at an extra stressful time in your life.

So now that you're home and that's all behind you, try to relax and enjoy the rest of the evening. Hug the all kitties, maybe play with them a bit and maybe have a glass of wine or two, you certainly deserve it! :)

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a good idea Debbie!!
I'm calm now and so glad that his guy doesn't work at the shelter! He would be putting a lot of cats down that I have seen recover from what I thought would be impossible!

Thanks again guys for all the support!!
Magoo got treats when we came home and then lots of snuggles which got me the back bunny foot action. I'm bleeding but I guess he has a right to be a little miffed. After all I did make the appointment!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

What a day! I take that back...What a WEEK so far!! Thanks you all for being there! I still can't believe this vet!!!

carla and mike
08-03-2004, 04:22 PM
I absolutley cannot for the life of me understand why he said that.
He was downright WRONG for such a remark.I'd switch everyone as soon as you find someone else.(kinder)He either wasn't thinking and in a bad mood from being overworked or just a plain jerk.Sorry.
I know he's been a great doctor for your others but he sees how
well you take care of them ALL and that was uncalled for.
You saved his life and he should be happy about it.
My vet would of been happy for him having such great love and care at home.He's NOT suffering.What an idiot.

moosmom
08-03-2004, 04:33 PM
"that would be like you taking Prozac for the rest of your life!"

I'M offended (not at you but at the vet) by that remark!! I'm not on Prozac (actually it's Paxil) and will be for the rest of MY life. I hate the way people "stereotype" people who are on anti-depressants. Really pisses me off!! :mad:

"Why didn't they put this poor thing down?"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would've said, "The same reason YOUR MOTHER didn't put YOU down!!", put Magoo back in his carrier and said, "Thank you, we'll be taking our services elsewhere!!"

What a jerk!

Good boy Magoo!! I would've given him one whack WITH CLAWS just for the fun of it!!

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 04:43 PM
What a load...sheesh!!! I'd be really po-ed...problem is is my hubby would have been more po-ed than me lol. Glad to see Magoo is ok for now, hopefully that darn thing wont be back!

Kirsten
08-03-2004, 04:44 PM
I can't believe your vet said that!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sorry you had to go through that! First you've been so worried about Magoo and then you got such a comment!!!

I hope at least Mr. Magoo will feel better now after the treatment! I hope he won't need surgery!

Kirsten

trayi52
08-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I am so happy that somebody DID NOT have Magoo put down! We all love him here!

Poor little baby, give him some hugs from me, you know that guy is just my hero!

LOL, I think I would have bit him too, especially right at the moment he said what he did!;)

I am so glad our sweet Magoo is okay, hmmmm, I wonder if that vet knows how many people loves Magoo?!

Thanks for the update Lisa!

Willie:)

QueenScoopalot
08-03-2004, 05:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Picking jaw up off the floor, and exhaling now! What a horrible thing to say about our beloved Magoo! :( I'm echoing everyone's remarks about looking for a more compassionate vet for Magoo, and maybe the others as well. Poor guy's been through so much, and to have such an insulting comment on top of all you've been through this week, I too probably would have walked out the door! Prayers that that eye doesn't swell ever again. ;) Please, please give him some hugs and kissies for me! :)

catnapper
08-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Whata seriously inconsiderate thing for the vet to say! :eek: :mad: I applaud Mr. Magoo's patience in the face of discrimination... I would have jumped across the exam table and bitten him myself!

I am glad to hear that the cyst has been drained and that the antibiotics shold keep it from coming back. Good luck my dear blind one and heal quickly!

jenluckenbach
08-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Now that I am no longer speachless, may I suggest a new vet at all costs! think of it this way, what if something happened to one of your current cats (that are clients of his) that was severe but treatable...........like losing both eyes...........would you trust him to do the right thing?

rg_girlca
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Wow, I am shocked that a vet would come out with a comment like that. Geeeessshhhhhhh.

I'm so happy to hear that he did well though and that nasty cyst is all drained now. Feel better soon sweetie and remember we all love you.

CCL didn't you bring him somewhere else to get his cyst drained?
If so, how was that vet?

NKBurlington
08-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Poor Magoo! I hope everything is OK.

Tonya
08-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Jeepers! That vet had a negative attitude! I don't know the vet personally or what he did for the other cats, so I hope I'm not misjudging or stepping on toes. But I personally, wouldn't bring any of my cats back. If he has the attitude that you should put a cat to sleep that easily, who's to say that he'll try hard if your other cats are in dire need? What if you bring your cat in and it can be saved, but he thinks it's better off dead so he doesn't do all he can do?

sirrahbed
08-03-2004, 06:54 PM
For a change, I am speechless.
I am glad Magoo is better and that the fluid was clear - that cyst WAS very large...but what that vet said about our Magoo was just..I don't even know how to say it:mad: ..and that comparison to Prozac is ignorant and much more.
((((Lisa))))) I will shut up now.

auggie
08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I can’t believe that this vet would say something this horrible to you and your husband.
I hope that sweet Magoo is feeling better.

slick
08-03-2004, 08:22 PM
That's a disgusting thing to say!!!! :mad: If it were me, I'd be shopping around for another vet pronto. What would happen if one of your other furkids lost sight in one eye? Would he then suggest to PTS?? I just can't believe it. After all the work you've done with that little one to be slapped in the face like that.

Glad to hear the Magooster came through OK. Please slap some kisses on that sweet face for me. Thanks.

AmberLee
08-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
... I would've given him one whack WITH CLAWS just for the fun of it!!

Oh Donna, sorry, but your comment was so right on I laughed aloud! Well said! :p

moosmom
08-03-2004, 09:23 PM
If he has the attitude that you should put a cat to sleep that easily, who's to say that he'll try hard if your other cats are in dire need? What if you bring your cat in and it can be saved, but he thinks it's better off dead so he doesn't do all he can do?

Well said Tonya!!! After those remarks, I wouldn't trust him with ANY of my cats.

AmberLee,

Don't apologize! ;)

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Ok guys here is how I feel now that I have had some time to think about it. This is in no way excusing him!!!
I have never seen them so busy. They were running way behind and the office was full. I could tell he was stressed and in a big hurry. On any other day I do not believe he would have handled the visit in the manner he did today. Do I think what he said is how he probably really feels....YES! Will he ever see Magoo again....NO WAY! Will he ever see some of the other cats again...Probably so. Why...He has been nothing but good with them. When he took care of Pervy the man called me day and night to let me know how she was. He called several nights after 10:00 pm when he would go back and check on her. He has been tender and gentle with all of the others. He was so kind to me when I fell apart in his office when I thought we would lose Pervy. He has also been great with my mother and her dogs. She did have to put one down and he stayed with mom the whole time and consoled her. Do I think he was rude and crass tonight because he was very tired and stressed...YES. Do I think it's forgivable for Magoo...NO! Would I trust him in a bad situation after this...I don't know. I think he would do whatever I asked him to do but I don't think I will put him or any of the other cats in that situation again because of today.
I realize that finances should not matter but they do. He has been good up to this point and he is very inexpensive. He knows how many cats we have and he has tried to help us as much as he can. I appreciate that anyway.
Magoo will now only see the shelter vet who knows him and didn't want to put him down. If anything really serious comes up with the others or I ever have any doubt or question with his treatment they will go some place else. I certainly wouldn't put them in jeapordy or allow him to PTS for something I didn't agree with. You guys should know that about me by now.
None of what I have said above has been said in anger and I hope you all realize that. I'm just telling you why I may use him again and what for. I'm still blown away by what he said and I will be thinking twice about going back to him. Believe me when I say I understand everyone's anger because I was so shocked that I didn't get mad until later. Serious health situations with the kitties will now be taken to the shelter vet or another very good vet we have here in town.
I promise to take very good care of PT's Magoo! I have delivered all the PT kisses and quit a few of my own! He got sick of them and chewed on my arm through some of the kiss deliveries but I hung in there and gave them to him anyway!!
I love you guys and I love you even more for loving us and caring so much!!!:D :D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

edit: When I say I may go back to him I'm referring to colds, ear infections, general illness. Just wanted to make that clear!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

NKBurlington
08-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I thought you might like this article that appeared in our local paper written by a well known vet:

LINK (http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/bp/opinion/column/story/2059842p-2384231c.html)

Family pet's quality of life can be measured in several ways

Barry Burtis, Pet Tales
Jul 9, 2004

Life is a miracle. I think most people would agree. When you think about life -- its beginnings, its inner workings, its gifts, its extravagance, its exuberance, its abundance, its tenacity -- you just can't help but marvel. No matter what level you examine or assess life, it is most impressive.

Most people, though, when thinking of the life of an individual, feel it can be measured or graded in its quality. It may be a bit presumptuous to think that we can do this with something like life. Nevertheless, we do make judgments about quality of life (QOL), frequently. In fact, there seems to be a strong intuitive sense as to what QOL means as well as the notion that it carries immense importance in medical care.

Quality of life is involved in every aspect of animal care. Maximizing the QOL for our pets is surely the most important goal of veterinary care. In veterinary medicine, QOL is used very often as a guide for life and death (euthanasia) decisions. Therefore, I think, it is very important to try and have some understanding of the things that contribute to QOL in pets.

There are differences in how pet owners evaluate QOL of their pets. I fondly remember, Lady, a charming, gentle and friendly bassett hound who was a patient at our hospital for many years. At a young age, Lady was stricken with glaucoma. The disease affected both eyes and our best efforts at treating the problem medically were unsuccessful. Unfortunately, with glaucoma, this sometimes happens.

To prevent the pain and suffering caused by this disease, Lady had both eyes removed. Now, I suppose some pet owners would feel such a pet, with no vision, would have a very low quality of life. Yet, I still remember, so well, Lady willingly trotting in, for so many years after her operation, to have her manicure and ear cleaning done. She functioned very well, doubtlessly aided by her breed's renowned sense of smell. To the very end of her natural life Lady always displayed a wonderfully positive, happy attitude and outlook.

I would argue, as did her owners, that Lady enjoyed a very high quality of life.

There are, in my opinion, several factors that contribute to QOL. They have their influence through their associated feelings.

Knowledge of these factors is important for owners to measure and maximize QOL of their pets.

Social Relationships: In social animals, a set of pleasant and unpleasant emotions serve to help develop and strengthen social relationships. There is evidence to strongly suggest that positive social affiliations and companionship give rise to pleasant feelings. Separation and isolation cause unpleasant feelings (e.g. loneliness). These feelings have strong influences -- both positive and negative -- on QOL.

Mental Stimulation: Animals that must live in monotonous, unchanging environments without activities and stimuli to engage them mentally show signs of boredom. On the other hand, if they are challenged, stimulated and encouraged to be active, they display signs of happiness.

Health: No one, I think, would argue that illness and health do not play a major role in the QOL of pets. Illness and injury cause many feelings that are unpleasant -- nausea, pain, weakness, difficult breathing and others.

Physical disabilities may impact on pleasurable experiences for a pet. A dog will surely miss being able to play ball, go for walks or enjoy other outside activities with its owner.

Food Intake: The taste of food is pleasant and feeling hungry is unpleasant. These sensations stimulate actions necessary to support life and may impact on QOL.

Stress: If stress causes emotions such as fear, anxiety, pain, boredom or anger, it may contribute to diminished QOL. To maximize QOL we may not be able to eliminate all stress from an animal's life but we aim to alleviate those unpleasant emotions that may result from it.

Remembering these major contributing factors to quality of life, in future columns, we will examine how we can influence them and improve life for pets with certain chronic disease conditions.

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Thank you for that NK! What a great article. You know if I thought Magoo had a bad life and was sad all the time I might wonder if blindness was ok for him. Not all cats but for him. He is happy and I know it! He is playful and stimulated. I have no doubt this boy has a good life. I'm very sorry that he is blind and I would do anything if I could change that. The sad thing is life isn't fair to animals or humans. Bad things happen and we adjust. Magoo has adjusted very well and has given me a whole new outlook on life. He is amazing, incredible, cute and loveable. He can be a butt head but so can we all!! I'm so disappointed that my vet made those remarks. What a shame he doesn't know better.

kimlovescats
08-03-2004, 10:22 PM
No need to explain anything, listen ... please remember that!!!;)
I am with sirrahbed as far as not even being able to think of a decent response to this vet. But thank God that Magoo is ok now!

((HUGS to both))
Kim;)

nibblets
08-03-2004, 11:03 PM
That Vet never should have said that to you, even if that is how he truly feels. That was cold and inconsiderate. I am really shocked and appalled at this mans behavior, whether he was stressed and busy or not.
My little Bichon dog, Buddy is starting to get cataracts in his eyes. Our vet told us it is common to his breed but that these little guys adapt very well. I could not for the life of me fathom having him PTS because he loses his sight...or a limb or whatever. As long as they are not in pain and have a good home they deserve a life like any other pet.

We love you Magoo! Don't listen to the grumpy old white coat.
Take your meds and hey, no more bunny kicks to Momma!

Tonya
08-03-2004, 11:07 PM
I trust your judgement! (Like my opinion matters. lol. ) Like I said, I don't know the whole situation. It sounds like he truly loves animals by the way he treated your other cats. Besides, we are all entitled to bad days. I've said some pretty stupid things myself when I'm stressed.

catcrazylady
08-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I trust your judgement! (Like my opinion matters. lol. ) Like I said, I don't know the whole situation. It sounds like he truly loves animals by the way he treated your other cats. Besides, we are all entitled to bad days. I've said some pretty stupid things myself when I'm stressed.

Yes, I agree that stupid things are said when stressed but I won't forget this remark! Magoo will not ever go back there.
Minor things is all he will see the others for because he is good at that and he is cheap! Isn't it sad that we have to even take that into consideration? Another sad fact of life!

btw-Yes your opinion does matter or I wouldn't be on this board listening to all you crazy people!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catlover4ever
08-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Lisa, trust your gut with this one....you know what he was like with Magoo and if it were me..I would not go back to him with Magoo either. My jaw is still on the ground...:eek:

I am so glad that Magoo was a good boy and that he is feeling better.

smokey the elder
08-04-2004, 08:00 AM
That vet obviously opened his big mouth while his brain was in neutral. No vet should ever say something like that! My rescue groups has had blind kitties, deaf kitties, FIV kitties, CH kitties, all adopted. The cat's own attitude should be an indicator as to his fate. I hope Magoo feels better, and that you find a more suitable vet.

Barbara
08-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Don't allow the words of your vet take over your mind by worrying over them too much. He is wrong, we all know that and that's it.

However I am glad that Magoo's cyst is better and the good boy is happy again.

Has the liquid ever been analyzed? I wonder whether the cyst can fill up again? Of course all things connected to that are a major financial issue I suppose.

My impression would be that if some serious surgery was needed, Pet Talk would be happy to re-activate it's fundraising skills- we all feel that Magoo is special to us.

:)

sirrahbed
08-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
My impression would be that if some serious surgery was needed, Pet Talk would be happy to re-activate it's fundraising skills- we all feel that Magoo is special to us.

:)
Yes, I will help.

catlover4ever
08-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Yes, I will help.

Count me in too!!!

catmandu
08-04-2004, 09:00 AM
RB Scrappy is getting the whole Pet angel Army,to PRAY for his special Cat,on Earth Scrappy Magoo,that his White Coat Visit,goes well!

catcrazylady
08-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Once again you guys are fantastic!!! If, and I pray that it doesn't happen, he has to have anything done I will go through the shelter vet and I can work out any type of payment with them. The day may come that they have to go in and look but hopefully an xray would work just as well. I'm praying we don't have to go that far. As long as we don't have one of those vets that won't even treat him until they have thousands of dollars up front then we will be ok.
You guys are the absolute greatest and just the kindness of the offer brings tears to my eyes!!! Magoo and I are very very lucky to have you all!!! God Bless you!

lizzielou742
08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
I can't believe I missed this earlier.

That vet must be disillusioned in life! To think that a vet would suggest putting down a perfectly healthy (minus one cyst) kitty! I would have been unable to control myself from blowing up at him.

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys1/00000023kelly.gif

Good thing you know better than to listen to him!!

RICHARD
08-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Bad things happen and we adjust.

Unlike our pets, we know that things happen.

The 'Gooster probably doesn't know what happened to him....How could you explain that to a cat??

The lesson here is that animals have that spirit (instinct?) that tells them that they HAVE to keep moving on.

In the 'wild' Magoo wouldn't stand a chance. He's lucky enough to have ended up with a great family.

Obviously that vet is burned out, cynical or doesn't 'see' the beauty of a creature that has overcome a disability that would buckle the knees of the strongest person alive...don't be mad at him, feel sorry that he has such a narrow view of his patients.

p.s. It helped that Magoo crossed paths with a cat crazy lady...

Kirsten
08-04-2004, 02:46 PM
As you described it, your vet must be a good one - maybe he really had a bad day. But I can understand that you don't want Magoo to go there anymore.

Is there any chance that you can ask him why he said that and why he thinks he should have been PTS? I think he should know that he has hurt you with that comment.

Kirsten

kuhio98
08-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, if you don't trust this vet to take care of OUR Magoo, I can totally understand that.

But, I have a feeling that Magoo isn't through teaching all of us just how wonderful his life is. I think taking him back to this same vet might teach him to re-evaluate his first impression.

Who knows? Maybe the next time this vet treats a "challenged" pet, he'll be telling "Mr. Magoo" stories to the owners.

Magoo has definitely taught me some things about love, determination and courage.

moosmom
08-04-2004, 09:22 PM
It helped that Magoo crossed paths with a cat crazy lady

ABSATIVELY, POSILUTELY!!!! Where would the Gooster be without wonderful Lisa with her big heart, sweet Southern drawl, great hubby and the patience of a saint (not to mention the scars to prove it).

We love you, Magoo and Lisa! :)

catcrazylady
08-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Awe shucks you guys! Your gonna make me cry again!! Geesh! Cut that stuff out!
I don't feel all that special. I feel like PTer's are special and made this whole thing work with wonderful advice and support. I get sick when I even think about Magoo being back at the shelter if I had not been encouraged by you all! I have really fallen madly in love with that little stinker!
Magoo is the special one! He has taught so many people so many things. I will remember his lessons for the rest of my life and just how special this squatty boy is. He sure has touched a lot of people. He has done more in the last few months than most of us can hope to accomplish in a life time! I'd say that is pretty amazing for a kitty that would have put down immediately in most places.
Magoo owes a lot to all the PT folk and I think we owe him for some very valuable lessons he has taught us. He is PT's kitty and I have the great pleasure to pass along the kisses!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif