PDA

View Full Version : $50 for a cup of joe - now that's what I call a cup of coffee.

catland
08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Hey, and this is even animal related. I heard about this on the morning radio show and found a link to share.

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040726/full/040726-5.html (http://)

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
The link is broken :( :( :(

catland
08-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Darn, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, there is now this really expensive coffee that is produced by having civet cats eat the beans and then recovering the beans from their droppings.

If you Google News Civet Cat Coffee you can see articles about it.

wolflady
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Being a coffee-holic, I had to check this out....but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to try THIS coffee!! :eek:

:eek:

Cat droppings yield chic coffee
Emma Marris
Discovery shows unusual beans can be created in the guts of different civet species.

Kopi Luwak beans cost over $1,000 a kilogram.

A food scientist has cracked the secrets of the world's most expensive coffee, Kopi Luwak, whose beans pass through the intestinal tract of an Indonesian civet before being roasted and savoured. But the elusive blend looks unlikely to be copied any time soon.

The beans, which cost over US$1,000 a kilogram, are eaten and passed by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus), which is a musky, tree-climbing cat-like creature. The supply of Kopi Luwak has always been tiny, but political turmoil in Indonesia has strangled production even further: less than 230 kilograms of the coffee are now being made each year.

Massimo Marcone, a researcher at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, wondered whether it might be possible to reproduce the effect that the Indonesian civets have on the coffee. He searched the world for another place with both coffee plants and civets, and hit upon Ethiopia, where coffee itself was born.

"It was something I was just dreaming up," he says. "Where else do we have coffee and the cat in a similar place?" In a forthcoming issue of Food Research International1, Marcone describes how he brewed coffee from beans that he personally picked out of the faeces of African civets (Civettictis civetta) and compared it with a mug of Kopi Luwak.

Marcone found that in both cases the civets' digestive action broke down proteins in the beans into smaller molecules that added to the flavour and aroma of the coffee on roasting. Some proteins were leached out of the beans completely, making the resulting coffee less bitter.

Bragging rights

Kopi Luwak was not as easy to copy as Marcone had hoped: the guts of the Indonesian civets did a much more thorough job of breaking down the proteins than did the digestive systems of the African civets.

But Marcone also discovered that the slow passage through the bacteria and enzymes in the civet's gut is similar to a method of fermenting coffee called the wet process. They even use the same agent: lactic acid bacteria.

Kopi Luwak is earthy, musty, syrupy, smooth and rich, with both jungle and chocolate undertones

He is sure that he could tweak the wet process to be a better approximation of the inside of a civet, perhaps by using the same strains of lactic acid bacteria. But he is not sure the simulation is worth it. "If we were able to develop it, you would lose the bragging rights that this is the rarest and most expensive coffee in the world," he says.

And ultimately, it is those bragging rights that matter. Despite being described by some as "earthy, musty, syrupy, smooth and rich, with both jungle and chocolate undertones", Marcone admits that Kopi Luwak is "different from, but not better than, other coffees".

:eek:

mruffruff
08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Think I'll stick to Folgers;)

Mary

heinz57_79
08-03-2004, 02:15 PM
It's an Indonesian delecacy! My dad tried it the last time he was there, said it had a definite flavour.. LOL

slick
08-03-2004, 03:03 PM
EEEEEEWWWWWW!! I don't drink coffee and now I know why! :eek:

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by slick

It isnt ALL that bad. They had some imported here at a specialty coffee store a while ago. I told dad to try it...

He told me no...I don't understand why :rolleyes:

catland
08-03-2004, 05:44 PM

but I thought you were the queen of Kahlua.

RICHARD
08-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I can see the menu at Starbucks....

CA-CA-CAWFEE!!

:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :o :D

catland
08-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I can see the menu at Starbucks....

CA-CA-CAWFEE!!

:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :o :D

actually, I heard them refer to it as "crappachinno":rolleyes: :p ;) :D

slick
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by catland
OMG that practically made me choke.....:D :D :D :D ROFLMAO!!

Note to self: swallow before reading Catland's posts too!

wolflady
08-03-2004, 06:57 PM

LOL LOL ROTFL! :D

catland
08-03-2004, 07:05 PM
OMG that practically made me choke.....:D :D :D :D ROFLMAO!!

Note to self: swallow before reading Catland's posts too!

<hee-hee> my work here is done.

moosmom
08-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Eeeeewwwww! That's why I drink herbal tea, thank you very much!!!

Twisterdog
08-03-2004, 11:29 PM
That is utterly disgusting.

gini
08-04-2004, 12:31 AM

I can now go to sleep laughing :D :D :D

Lillycat
08-04-2004, 01:09 AM
richard.....that is too funny!