PDA

View Full Version : Guys, discuss this with me: I think Im going nuts

DJFyrewolf36
08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I posted this over on the dog side in reaction to someone who stated that its absurd to love a pet as much as you'd love a skinkid. The thread is Here (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55037) if you would like to see it. This person really came off as offensive to me. I would sacrifice just as much to help my furkids as I would any skinkid I had. I don't know maybe I'm the one thats nutty...

Is the difference between furkids and skinkids discipline? Is it right to beat a dog for stealing cookies and going "Aww how cute" when jr bratty decides to do the same exact thing? Thats what I got out of that thread.

Like I said, I might be the nutty one

The more I think about this the worse I feel. Sigh I shouldn't let someones pissy attitude get to me so much I guess.

Anywhoo this is what I posted....

----------------------------------

Im just adding my two cents here...

I am one of those people who value an animals life and livelihood over most people. There is a distinct reason for this, however. People decide of thier own free will to do malicious things to other people. Animals don't do this the overwhelming majority of the time. Now I agree there is the argument that animals are "dumber" than people and don't have things like emotions etc. There are studies out there that suggest that some animals *domestic animals even* are higher on the intelegence * in both "smart" intelegence and emotional intelegence* food chain than some people graduating public school. Now don't think Im some sort of freaksish people hater just because I prefer the company of animals. Animals simply either lack the ability to or decide not to act in a manner that is annoying. If I chose to associate with beings that dont P**s me off, than thats my right.

I am of the firm belief that you do not own an animal. You CARE for the animal providing for it in a manner as one would a child. You feed the animal, you provide it shelter, keep it clean, make sure it behaves in a manner that is acceptable etc etc. The only difference is with a human child you can boot the little snot out the door at a cirtian age, with an animal you cant. Ownership implies that the animal is a thing. People *ok most people, but there ARE execptions* don't get emotional over "things" do they? This kind of tells you something about how people feel about pets. Pets in a way ARE children, if you care for something and tend to its needs long enough you will feel an emotional attachment of some kind. I fail to see how that is absurd.

I for one would be furrious if someone decided to harrass my dog or my child, and I would be furrious equally. Thats just how I feel.

moosmom
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
DJF,

I wouldn't get all worked up. It's probably some troll trying to get a rise out of us (again!!) I'd just ignore it.

You are absolutely right, your pets ARE you kids. My cats are mine and I would do ANYTHING for them!

jazzcat
08-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Just remember, to each his own.

Tonya
08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I am not going to read that thread because I don't want to get all fired up and have to decide who is right and who is wrong. I'll just give my personal opinion. I do occasionally get offended by some people who talk about children like they are all evil creatures. We were all kids once and it's the parents fault if the kids are demons. With that being said, I don't see anything wrong with loving your furkids as much as your skinkids. Now, if I had a choice between rehoming my son or my dog, I would rehome my dog first. But I do love and treat my kids and my pets about the same. I don't think that is crazy at all.

Gotta add one more thing. I do think it is insane and totally out of hand how some people will run their dog to the vet as soon as it has a small cut or seems the slightest bit under the weather, yet they wouldn't take themselves or their kids to the doctor that quickly. That doesn't make sense to me.

leslie flenner
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I read and re-read the posts- Caseysmom (me thinks) was trying to say she loves her pets as much as she loves her kids but not equally and that it is hard to explain. Never having given birth myself- I guess I would give her the benefit of the doubt that there is a special bond to those you carry for several months and expect to raise as decent humans for the next 18 years. , and then hopefully have a relationship with until you die. I think it was just one of those "kids are brats or not" and we all know nothing is black and white and it got out of hand- things. Is the way I read it- if I missed something- correct me! otherwise, rest easy!

nibblets
08-02-2004, 08:31 PM
I think pets are just as important in our lives as the people we live with or interract with on a regular basis.
They listen when we need to talk. They calm us when we are frightened or upset. They need us and appreciate what we do for them. It has been proven that we heal faster and and have less anxiety when there are pets around. I think it speaks volumes when someone has much love for animals.

Some people do not see this. They feel a dog should be tied up on a chain as a barking intruder alarm. This sickens me. Why people get dogs and chain them out, just throwing some food and water their way (and some don't even do that on a regular basis) is completely beyond me. I've known people who are cat haters and think it is funny to make jokes on how to kill cats. My friend has 3 horses...before she bought her own land and had them boarded, she spoke of several horses whose people never came out to see them...they just paid the stables to take care of them. Was this some sort of status symbol? 'Oh, I have a horse!' The horses needed to have attention from 'them', not just the other horse owners or stable owners.
Why people take part in dog fighting and cock fighting is another example. It only takes a couple of episodes of Animal Presinct on Animal Planet to see there is a complete opposite end of the spectrum. For every animal lover, there is someone who is not so compassionate.

We, who love animals and have compassion for them are blessed. The others do not know what they are missing.

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Id like to say thanx guys for responding. This wasn't meant to fire anyone up at all, just meant to see how people felt. I was just curious

Thank you again! Oh and I do feel a bit better :D

catmandu
08-03-2004, 09:18 AM
I am very attached to The Found cats,as I dont have a lot,of Family left,just two brothers,one of whom,I never see! My Cats,are now My ll we have,is each other!

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2004, 09:28 AM
And a lot of people are like that Catmandu. I just wish others would understand that and even if they don't like it or want to follow it themselves they can at least be respectful of people who DO have that kind of relationship with thier pets.