PDA

View Full Version : Escape Artist Extraordinaire!

Glacier
08-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Mac is driving me to the bottle! While I was away, he escape at least three times. Fortunately, he always allowed himself to be lured back to the pen eventually. Yesterday he escaped twice. The first time I got him to follow me for a chunk of elk meat. The second time, he was on to that trick and no way was he falling for it. Eventually, I managed to corner him--which turned out to be a really bad idea. I am one-handed typing this as my right hand is rather bruised, swollen and punctured. Mac's natural instinct is to run when he's scared. When the flight option was gone, he chose to fight.

Right now he's still loose. He's staying in the yard and just hanging out from what I can tell. But he won't let me near him. I'm hoping he'll soon get hungry and I'll be able to lure him back to the pen. I have no idea how he got out yesterday--we blocked off the gate that he was using as a ladder, we filled in every possible tiny hole he could have slipped under, there's no sign that he climbed the fence, but somehow the little rat still got out!!

Right now my only concern is catching him and making sure he's physically safe and then I'll have to deal with the fear aggression....Never a dull moment, sigh.......

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

... he chose to fight.

*sigh* .......

OUWCHIE! :(

Isn't that considered "byting the hand that feeds"??

NOT a gud idea, Mac!

Hope you HandPaw starts feelin better!

Glacier
08-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Mac is safe and sound. I managed to get him back in the pen. I still can't get to close to him, but hopefully over the next few days I will be able to regain his trust. I'd like to bring him inside and do some massive, intense socializing.

cocker_luva
08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
would u have a pic of this escapist? :)

anna_66
08-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Well I'm glad to hear he is now safe and sound. But sorry to hear about your hand:(
I hope you can get him over this fear soon. Good Luck!

bckrazy
08-02-2004, 10:14 PM
wow.. that doesnt sound good. :( so sorry about your hand, i know how bites feel, from our first foster bc who was also fear agressive and previously abused. i hope everything gets better! is he a husky? has he been well socialized and bonded to you in the past? lots of socialization and training is a good idea.

Glacier
08-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by bckrazy
! is he a husky? has he been well socialized and bonded to you in the past? lots of socialization and training is a good idea.

He's a husky-hound mix. He's only 13 months old and all but five months of that he was in the shelter. He's not well socialized at all. He also comes from a line of genetically shy dogs. I know who bred him and I doubt he was physically abused at all. He was starting to bond to me. I'll have to rebuild that now.

Glacier
08-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
would u have a pic of this escapist? :)

Of course... this is Mac.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs/prettyboys.jpg
Mac is the one farther back. That's his brother Ozzy in front.

Tonya
08-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Mac, shame on you! You have to be nice to mommy! I am glad that you made it back home safe.