PDA

View Full Version : Matilda update and a little stress

jazzcat
08-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I took her to the vet to be scanned and as I expected there was no microchip. They guessed her age at 1 1/2-2 years. I thought she might be a bit younger. Since this wasn't a regular office visit and Mattie was fighting so much they couldn't tell if she was spayed. I'll have to take her in to see the dr. to get that info.:( Still no phone calls from my signs either.

Here is my delima. She is getting more and more attitude and is at the point that she doesn't want us to touch her. She's gone from being a really sweetie to major cattitude. She hisses and growls at us sometimes for no reason and she tries to bite and swat at us if we pet her. Another big problem is she doesn't seem to like other animals. We've let her see Jazz and Scout through glass and she hisses and growls and then I decided to let her and Jazz peak at each other through a cracked door just to gage her reaction and Mattie went wild. Also at the vet she went kind of wild over the resident office cat.

I'm thinking this may not work out. On top of it all I'm starting to get a little fearful of her which I really don't want to be but can't help it.

Anyone have any advice, input or suggestions on the situation. I'm just praying we find her owners at this point because I'm really too busy with my dad to take on the amount of work that it'll take to bring her into the house. Maybe I'm the one that needs to take Rescue Remedy.

lizzielou742
08-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Awwwe, poor Mattie. Maybe she's just freaked out at the moment with all that has happened to her. Strange that she was fine at first, then decided to spaz. In your pics and videos, it didn't look like you were handling her much, but you and the vet handled her today, and you said she doesn't like to be touched. Maybe she was abused or something and is afraid of being touched? Or is having trouble adjusting to the new scents in her environment? Does she act afraid of you, or just mad? I would give her some time, a space (garage or other area?) to herself, and see how she does after a few days. If she's mean to the other cats, I don't know how that would work...I don't know but I am sorry you are stressed. Remember that what you are doing for this kitty, such an act of generosity, is to be commended. :) Keep us updated and hopefully Miss Matilda will chill out! :)

aly
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I must've missed your other thread(s) about her! She sounds like my foster, Maya.

I hope you have good luck finding her people. Have you emailed cat rescue groups at all to see if they have a foster available in case you don't find her home?

jazzcat
08-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks lizzielou. She started getting testy Saturday and it has progressed ever since. She likes to play an hang out with us and she even loves to rub against your legs but she is getting more and more touchy about us petting her, touching her or even getting to close. I know she is probably stressed too but it just seems like the more comfortable she gets here the more attitude she gets. The stuff with my cats was Saturday and yesterday so it wasn't due to the stress of the vet today.

I just don't know but I'm not giving up on her so don't worry. My husband is already saying she may just be our garage and deck cat. That may cause some problems with Disney since she has to go outside to use the bathroom. Oh well, we will work it out somehow.

Actually I know someone who may be interested in her but she is an 85 year old woman who just lost her dog so Mattie may be too much for her. It would be a great home and she would be spoiled but I couldn't risk her hurting this older lady.

jazzcat
08-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Aly - I just thought about a local rescue group today and when I mentioned it to my husband he said to not be in such a rush. Ins't that amazing???

So if we find Mattie's owners or can rehome her maybe there is hope for a TN trip for Chance and Lucky!

catcrazylady
08-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Lori this sounds pretty familiar! Thank goodness you have the gargae option if all else fails! I'm sure you remember the Magoo trauma! GEESH!
I wonder why she is getting so touchy all of the sudden? Is it possible she is going into heat and the hormones are out of wack? Maybe this is why she got dumped!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif If this behavior continues she certainly woudn't be a good kitty for an elderly person! I think kitties are smart enough to suck us in with their cuteness and then when they have you hooked they let their true colors show!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif
I hope she settles down soon because she sounds like she could be a real handful if you try to introduce her to your existing babies. I know you have so much going on with your dad right now. This could be a big challenge but as we all know after much tribulation Magoo worked out. The only advice I have is the same advice that everyone kept giving me....PATIENCE, PATIENCE and more PATIENCE!!
Good luck and keep us posted!!

aly
08-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat

So if we find Mattie's owners or can rehome her maybe there is hope for a TN trip for Chance and Lucky!

That would be SO wonderful!! I would love my boys to go to such a great home where I wouldn't have to worry about them. But I know you have a lot on your plate right now. Hopefully everything works out with Mattie. Maybe someday my boys will make the journey to TN :) They are so sweet. I think they'd win your husband over in a nanosecond :)

kimlovescats
08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
First of all (((hugs))) Lori!!! How strange that she has suddenly gotten moody ... maybe the heat thing is a good theory. Or... maybe she was in heat to begin with and now is out of it?:rolleyes: I can certainly understand your frustration, and your fears of being hurt by her .... kitties can be very intimidating to say the least!!! :eek: Please just follow your heart, and don't feel pressured in any way to keep her, if it just doesn't seem to be right for your family right now. But like CCL said .... don't forget the Magooster! ;) Whatever you decide, I hope you know that I support you 100%.

Kim;)

rg_girlca
08-02-2004, 10:07 PM
I was also going to comment on her being in heat the first time and that was why she was so friendly. Now that she is finished she is showing her true colors. I hope this isn't the case though.
The only suggestion I can think of at the moment, is to try and ignore her, but still talk to her while you are going to feed her and going about your business outside.
Gosh if it doesn't rain it pours.
You know we are behind you 100% no matter what you decide as your furbabies welfare comes first.

Good luck and keep us posted on Matilda.

jazzcat
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Thank you all so much. I could just give you all a big ole hug. I really appreciate the support.

I hadn't even thought about her mood swings could be from being in heat. I've never been around a cat, or a dog, in heat so I have no clue what to look for. I do think you guys are on to something, thanks!

We stayed out on the deck with her for about an hour tonight and my husband played with her with the ribbon. She stayed right with him and let him pet her some without any growling or hissing. She seems to do better with him. Maybe she knows who has to be sweetened up around here, lol! She back in the garage sleeping on my Jeep again and looking very content.

Thank you all again. I feel much better now.

aly
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
When I rescued Maya, she was in heat. It was a new experience for me too and pretty stressful. While she was in heat, she was soooo affectionate. Now she doesn't want to be pet or held at all. She's pretty moody. Its going to be hard for me to find her a home like this so I can sympathize with you.

catmandu
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
And she was probaly,scrared,after being at the Vets! Pl;ease give her some time,Moose was a scread Cat,as was John Hancock,anf=d they didnt take,to the Other Cats Either! But Time heals All Cats,and I am betting that you can get Matilda,to come around!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Well....from your hubby's response to the shelter and from the fact that he's the one that named her and now you say she does better with him, I think he has found his "daddy's girl." I think the being in heat thing is a real good indication of her moods, but unfortunately that means you would need to get her back to the vet ASAP so you don't have little Matildas running around soon. ;) More stress for you and her right now, but potentially a lot less stress later on. ;)

She is adorable, and I like rg_girlca's idea of being around and talking to her but other than that ignoring her and letting her come to you on her terms. That might make her feel more comfortable - like you're not trying to force anything on her. We know you're not doing that, but not knowing anything of her background, we have no idea what she's thinking.

Having a garage/patio kitty is not the end of the world, and if that's the case, I'm sure she would eventually mellow enough to start letting her meet the rest of the family and letting her in the house.

Good luck, please keep us updated and {{{hugs}}} to you and {{{hugs}}} to hubby, who appears to be much more of a softy than he would like others to know. ;) :D