PDA

View Full Version : A new addition to my gang

Gio
10-09-2001, 07:07 AM
As I posed before my parents had to come to live with me due to their ill health. My 81 year old dad took Gigio's passing very badly so my sisters and I decided that a little pet therapy was the best solution and I decided to adopt another kitten. So off the the shelter we went, in the beginning I felt very guilty since if it were for me I would have adopted an older or disabled cat (and immediately fell in love with an older half death cat who has been in the shelter for 1.5 years, she was adopted once but was returned the following day because she was not a lap cat :mad: ) but in this case a kitten would have been the best solution.

So we took home Foxy (not my choice of name :o , my dad had to chose the name as part of the "therapy"), a 2 month old male kitten. He is so cute, he looked very calm at the shelter but he is a real terror. It took him a cuople of minutes to explore the whole house, the first couple of nights we kept him in a separate room, the third night he started to scream the whole place down and we had to let him run free.

After a lot of hissing Maya has accepted him even though he won't leave her alone and sometimes she hides in sheer desperation. She has become more playful though, she is usually a rather lazy cat. Prema is a different matter, now I have the proof that she really does not like cats much, and is yet to accept him fully sometimes if I'mnot looking she swats him quite badly,he gets a bit scared but then Maya comes to his rescue. I told Prema not to worry since, even though I shouldn't really say this, she will always be my favourite and also that... he is going to be much bigger than her when he grows up :D

Sorry if this post is a bit long but I forgot how funny, exciting and tiring it is to have a young kitten and I tend to go on a bit.
:D :) I also wonder why I see much more of my sisters now...

]

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

Karen
10-09-2001, 07:33 AM
Congratulations for you and your Dad, condolences to Prema! How fun, and I bet your father feels better just watching the little terror! :) You forgot to tell us what he looks like, though, what color is he?

Cougie Wechsler
10-09-2001, 07:59 AM
Oh how wonderful Gio! The joy of kittenhood. I pray that your new family will live a long and happy life! Your father must enjoy seen this little guy playing and just being a kitten. I am happy for you and also admire you for wanting to get an older kitty. I bet giggio is purring happily from the Bridge!

PS. The people of Milan are in my prayers after that tragic plane crash I heard about yesterday.

zippy-kat
10-09-2001, 08:33 AM
Ohhhh a kitten!

Congrats on the new addition Gio!!!
Hope everyone (esp Dad and new kitty) are doing well!

Edwina's Secretary
10-09-2001, 08:55 AM
Gio -

Congratulations on the new kitten. I hope he will keep the other cats youthful!

I know how you feel re: older/rescue v. babies. I posted under dog rescue about my parents who have lost two dogs and a cat this year. I was hoping they would get a rescue dog but they feel in love with a puppy. My dad will be 80 this month and my mother is not far behind. The pleasure that puppy is giving them -- well they deserve it after a long life and a lot of sacrifice -- including raising four children!

(I'm still working on them getting a rescue cat though.)

Gio
10-09-2001, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't feel as bad since the kitten comes from the shelter as well. The mother is a feral cat who was taken to the rescue place since she was having terrible problems giving birth, one of the kittens was stuck. Luckily only one died and the mother, who is such a tame and sweet cat, was taken home by one of the volunteers. Neddless to say all kittens found good homes too.

He is gray and white, with medium-long fur, in fact we think that somewhere along the line he might have some norwegian cat as a relative. The cute thing that even though he is gray and white the bridge of his nose is a brown-beige colour (his mother's colouring).

One of my sisters and her boyfried have bought a scanner, he told me that he could scan some pictures for me... the poor guy does not know what he is letting himself in for :D . So beware you might see my babies in the near future.

TheAntiPam
10-09-2001, 09:48 AM
Gio, congratulations on your new fur baby! Lots of good wishes for the new kitten and for all your family.

With so many animals needing help, we should celebrate any time a creature is rescued. You get lots of gold stars for the love and concern you have for the kitties and for your parents.

We want to see lots of those kitty pictures!

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: TheAntiPam ]

Former User
10-09-2001, 09:53 AM
Have fun with the new kitten. We're sure you have your hands full with him, we should know, we have two kittens :D

We wish all the best for you and your family!
Keep us updated how it is going ok?

catwoman
10-09-2001, 10:58 AM
Congratulations, Gio! And a hearty welcome to your newest addition, Foxy!

wolflady
10-09-2001, 11:24 AM
Congrats Gio!!! pics pics PICS!!! We need kitten pics!! LOL LOL Enjoy your new family member :)

AmberLee
10-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Gio,

Congratulations on your new house-terror, Foxy. We too are looking forward to pictures of the little guy. He sounds adorable.
:D

NoahsMommy
10-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Gio,

Congrats on the new kitten!! Enjoy, kittens are so much fun! :D

AvaJoy
10-09-2001, 08:38 PM
Foxy sounds like a joy to your family, and behind their disdainful facades I bet your other cats are actually enjoying the fun, too!! :D :D

thelmalu99
10-10-2001, 10:27 AM
:) :) :) There's nothing more wonderful than a kitten! They're such terrors, but such a joy to have around! My Danny is about 7 months old now, but he still tears the place apart, LOL!! I'm sure that little Foxy will be just the thing to cheer your Dad up! :)
Please post pics soon!

tatsxxx11
10-19-2001, 05:57 PM
Dear Gio, Sorry I missed your post :( I am so glad your dad's spirits were lifted by the presence of frisky little Foxy! I'm sure Foxy keeps things hopping around the house!! What little terrors kitty's can be. :D Around here, with my Oliver just 1 this summer, we STILL have "crazy kitty hour!" What a loving, healing gift you gave to him. You're such a special daughter. Hopefully we'll see some pics soon. Love to you all, Sandra

Uniqueviking
10-20-2001, 12:09 AM
Congratulations on your new kitten :)

Yes, they are a lot of work, but also a lot fun those lil ones.
Nothing better when a kitten cuddles up to you and purrs!

Kirsten
10-20-2001, 01:48 PM
A kitten, how sweet! :)
I'm sure he will be a great therapy for your father, it's impossible to look at a kitten and not to smile! :)

Kirsten