PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog like their cage?

chrissycat21
08-02-2004, 09:03 AM
When training Snowy we always made her cage a 'good' place, it was never a place she had to go when being punished. And now, 2 1/2 years later, her cage is her favorite place in the world. She goes in there when she wants to go to sleep, when she is scared, she puts her toys in there, etc.

Are any of your dogs like that or do they not like their cages?

-Chrissy

Kfamr
08-02-2004, 09:40 AM
All three of mine like the cage. We only have one, which Simba and Nala no longer need. Kiara just goes in it to eat and while we're away.

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Breeze doesn't like her Kennel because she associates it with us leaving, and us leaving makes her REALLY upset. So, she doesn't like her Kennel to much, but Connor LOVES his kennel, it's his safty spot. The place he goes to sleep, to chew on toys, or just to sit and watch the other animals. He really loves his kennel!

Ashley :)

LorraineO
08-02-2004, 09:58 AM
If I am right,, I assume you mean cage as in crate? If so,, Yes,, Lucy loves her crate!!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Abby is not crated anymore, when we DID crate her, a few years back, she would go to the bathroom in it if we left her too long, because she has a little bit of seperation anxiety. If we'd keep her out, she's fine. She HATES her crate.

pitc9
08-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Buddy LOVES his, it's his "Safe Place"
Sierra.... she think's it's Okay It's her "Oh alright I'll go in my crate so I don't chew your house up again" place!!:D

Samantha Puppy
08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
We only used it to keep Samantha in at night and if we'd go out. She hated it, even if I stayed right there in the room with her. She's just such a social dog, she hates being cut off. I took her in in late August 2002 and by the first weekend in November, I felt confident enough to let her loose at night. She's much happier now that she doesn't have to deal with that nasty crate anymore.

swimma253
08-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Meeka never had a crate... lol... but I dont think she would like one if she had one. Unless she grew up with it, then she might like it. ;)

cloverfdx
08-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Clover and Elvis love their playpen i have set up for them at home (Elvis likes to chew household items ;) ) all i have to say to them is "Crate" and they go strait in. At Flyball they have seperate crates and they love them aswell, it is somewhere they go when not out racing or going for a walk and they feel safe.

Penny and Theo hate using the crate at home but love hanging out in it at Flyball.

manda99
08-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Smokey enjoys his crate. Sometimes he doesn't want to go in. But he does hang out in it on his own, too.

Tonya
08-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Dusty and Roxy like their crate unless something interesting is going on. (Like when I try to crate them while there is company. They would rather socialize.) Sarah hates her crate. She becomes a savage beast when I put her in it. She reminds me of Linda Blaire from Exorcist when I put her in the crate. So, I just don't crate her. There really isn't a need to anyways.

primabella
08-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Mickey loves his cage as well. He only uses it to sleep and when he was a pup, we stupidly used it as a place to put him when he did bad. We really just wanted it to be a way for him to know he was going to be ignored for awhile. Luckily he didn't associate it as a bad place and we stopped that method soon enough. :rolleyes:

Sometimes when he wants to nap and there is activity around the house, he'll go in his cage because it's quiet and comfy in there.

heinz57_79
08-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Chloe and Charlie are both kennel shy, neither one of them could be crate trained. Anna and Arthur don't have kennels either, but we're going to get a couple just so they have someplace to go if they want a break. :)

chrissycat21
08-02-2004, 12:45 PM
As I said before, Snowy loves her cage. Its basicly her 'den'. She goes there at night time to sleep after she already takes a nap with me. My dad will just go 'Night-night Snowy!' and she runs in there.

-Chrissy

cali
08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
cant get my dog OUT of their crates! lol they do get crated for punnishment, but they also get fed in there, and they get to go to flyball in a crate etc.. so they all LOVE their crates! all I gotta do is say Kennel from a totally different room and they run to their kennels waggin tails and grinnin :D

*LabLoverKEB*
08-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Sadie loves her cage! But it's put away.:)

mruffruff
08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Samson spends a lot of time in his kennel. He came to me when he was about 10 to 12 years old and didn't know what a kennel was. I made it really soft and comfy for him. He started using it at night and then whenever he felt threatened. Now he sleeps on the bed, but it's still his special place when he wants to be alone.

Scruffy hangs out in a kennel sometimes, just because it's comfortable.

Mary

tikeyas_mom
08-02-2004, 01:40 PM
oscar likes his kennel, baby hates hers, Tikeya is iffy about it. lol Tikeya stands it lol.

jenfer
08-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Gigi likes it (I guess). She sleeps in it (it's her bedroom!) and she stays in it when I am out in the day. If I will be gone for a whole day (if I have to work), she stays in her xpen. I made her crate very comfy for her.

lovemyshiba
08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
We're a bunch of crate training failures here.
Actually, Kito and Abbey would probably go in, no problem, and stay in there if we wanted them too, but Riley freaks out so bad it's not worth it. He gets separation anxiety so bad, we were afraid he was going to hurt himself, and my vet said some dogs are fearful of the crate, and he may never like it. We got him at 12 weeks, and the woman who had him before me said she was giving him up because she was too busy, so I have a feeling that a crate was his whole life up until that point:(

We never tried with Jada, but she does like to jump the gate in our house over into the entranceway when she's ready to calm down and take a nap--I think she sees that as her place, because the others can't get there, so she probably would have done well with a crate.

ParNone
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Of my 4, Gully's the only one that didn't initially like the crate. But I started tossing treats for him to go in and get and feeding him his meals in there and voila he loves it now. If I even look at the food scooper, he runs and leaps into it. He's already being weeded off using it though. I start out using it as puppies for housebreaking and future socialization, but as soon as they're trained, they get more and more freedom out of it, until it's put up and used for emergencies only.

Par...

Logan
08-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Murphy, Honey, Lilly and Zipper say "What's a cage/crate?". :p They have never been in a crate!!!!! :o

Pam
08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Bella used it for about the first 6-7 months of her life. After she became potty trained and considered "safe" to be left alone in the house without chewing up everything in sight we put it away. She didn't seem to mind it at all and knew the routine very well. When I would get ready to leave in the morning she would go in automatically. I didn't even need to tell her. She took her cue from when I got my pocketbook. I don't think she minded it, but I guess you would have to ask her really to be sure. :p

Ripley was crated for the first few days after we got him. He cried and cried which told me he had probably never been crated before. I couldn't stand him crying at night so I let him sleep on my bed and just hoped that he was housebroken, and as it turns out he was. :) After a few days of being crated while I was at work I got brave and decided to leave him alone loose in the house with Bella. Fortunately when I came home all was OK. For me crates were only a temporary tool.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-02-2004, 04:51 PM
My dogs all LOVE their crates. I feed them in their crates. The rest of the time their crates are left open and they go in and out as they please. They all like to sleep in their crates, especially Buster.

binka_nugget
08-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Kai has no problem going in. He runs in when something's scaring him but he *never* sleeps in there. He still eats every meal in there as well.

Kaedyn doesn't have one but he has snuck into Kai's crate now and then. He'll even sleep in there if I leave a pillow in.

Shelteez2
08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
As you can see Clipse just hates his crate ;)

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/2004824376077313115638.jpg

Could he be any more relaxed?? LOL I keep the crate in my closet with the door off. He loves to go in there and sleep.

Emily will run into the crate when she's nervous, during a thunderstorm for instance.

I will never have a dog that is not crate trained. It makes life so much easier in emergencies. Also having crate trained pets makes life easier for the animal care professionals, such as vets and groomers, that see your dogs on a regular basis. :)

chocolatepuppy
08-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Lacey has her own den and Mandy has a crate. Lacey likes her den better than Mandy likes her crate and will even go hide and go to sleep in it sometimes when we are home.We only lock the dogs up when we are not home. Someday that may change but Lacey "seriously" cannot be trusted loose when we are not home. Mandy because of her heart cannot be running loose although I don't think she would do anything wrong if she was loose.
My hubby locks them up when he leaves for work in the morning and they go to there den/crate without him even having to tell them. We both work dayturn but luckily different hours so at least it's not a long day for them.

QueenScoopalot
08-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Spencer our youngest still loves sleeping in his cage although he looks like one of those clowns coming out of the tiny car in the morning! Greta was crate trained as well, but we packed it up and put it away when she was trained. Blankets took the place of the kennel, so when we say "kennel" Greta knows that means go to her blanket in the kitchen! Peanut...well she almost doesn't count at 4 and a half pounds. :rolleyes:

cocker_luva
08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Jesse had a cage when we first got her; until we could trust her to not trash the house, and until she was housetrained.

but she liked it, cuz it was 'her' place.

anna_66
08-02-2004, 09:45 PM
None of my dogs use a crate in the house.
But we do make them ride in crates in the durango. They associate their crates with going bye-bye, so I guess they
like them!

Toller 42
08-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Tango doesn't like it because we have to put her in it when we leave because if we don't she will destroy everything. She doesn't like it because she only uses it when we leave and she hates when we go somewhere without her, the other dogs love their crates though.

Twisterdog
08-02-2004, 10:05 PM
My dogs that sleep in their crates love them. Once in a while, I will have to drag one of the other dogs out of their crates, before they can go in.

They only one who hates crates is Lacie. Don't know why, maybe she's claustrophobic. :confused:

Tonya
08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
As you can see Clipse just hates his crate ;)

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/2004824376077313115638.jpg

Could he be any more relaxed?? LOL I keep the crate in my closet with the door off. He loves to go in there and sleep.

Emily will run into the crate when she's nervous, during a thunderstorm for instance.

I will never have a dog that is not crate trained. It makes life so much easier in emergencies. Also having crate trained pets makes life easier for the animal care professionals, such as vets and groomers, that see your dogs on a regular basis. :)

What a cute picture!

stacwase
08-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Max, Tony and Chloe all love their crates and go in there on their own, all the time.

mruffruff
08-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Shelteez has a point. It's a lot better to have a dog that will at least tolerate a cage or carrier so they don't freak when it might be necessary. Such as an emergency or stay at the vets.

Mary

guster girl
08-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Finn loves his crate. He goes in there to chew on his toys, to nap, to eat, and, sometimes just to get away from things if there are a lot of people over. He's laying next to me right now, but, he was in his crate about five minutes ago. :)