PDA

View Full Version : something is wrong with Zorro!!

tikeyas_mom
08-01-2004, 08:16 PM
He is VERY agressive, and hasnt touched one cricket in his tank!!
I think he is sick, when I get to close he does'nt scamper off he attacks me!! He bites hard too! :( :eek:

What do you reptile fanatics think??
He is always brown in color, I read that Anoles being brown is a sign of stress.. He is drinking ok. ... .

Suggestions?

Aspen and Misty
08-01-2004, 08:23 PM
What is your cage set up like? Does he have somewhere to hide? That might be your problem. You've only had him a few days also, I would let him settle in for a little while longer.

Ash

tikeyas_mom
08-01-2004, 08:58 PM
He is in a ten gallon tank, he has tons of branches and fake reptile branches to climb on and hide in, and of course repltile (plastic) leaves ect... On the bottom of his tank there is aspen bedding and some rocks, also a small heat rock for reptiles on low temp. He has a heat lamp, and the temp during the day is 75 and 85 degrees, and at night it is 60-70. And his tank is pretty humid. I mist spray him 3-4 times a day. Anything eles?

ps: I always shake and bake the crickets before putting them in his tank, with this calcium powder for anoles. Because they cant produce it on their own, So i've read.

Desert Arabian
08-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Anoles really aren't ment to be handled a lot, unless you work with them a lot to get them used to it, that's why s/he is so aggressive. Also, if Zorro has a large bright red flap of skin (dewlap) under his chin- then it's a male. If there is a small red flap then Zorro is a female. ;) Males are also larger than females. Also, get that heat rock out of there, they can be dangerous. They do not provide overhead heat, and when lizards lay on the rocks in can burn them. Green Anoles also shouldn't be fed crickets solely, they should also be fed waxworms and mealworms. Crickets should be gut-loaded so they are nice and healthy for the anoles.

If Zorro is brown a lot, that is a sign that s/he is not warm enough and needs more heat. Keep in mind Anoles also require a UV/B light to mimmic the UV rays from the sun. Staying brown is a common color for them to show when they are stressed.

tikeyas_mom
08-01-2004, 09:27 PM
The only other Green Anole in my whole town is a male, and males should'nt be put together. I drove an hour just to get tiny crickets to feed him, and guess what, he did'nt even touch one...

ps: Zorro is male lol ;)

Desert Arabian
08-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Read my post again, I updated it.

Aspen and Misty
08-01-2004, 10:21 PM
I also agree get the heat rock outta there, not a good thing at all! He may need more places to hide, If you can, I would add more branches in his place, alot of times reptiles turn brown because they are frightened.

I also agree with YLL, some reptiles aren't ment to be held an Anoles are probly one of them.

Ashley

Twisterdog
08-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Anoles really aren't ment to be handled a lot, unless you work with them a lot to get them used to it, that's why s/he is so aggressive. Also, if Zorro has a large bright red flap of skin (dewlap) under his chin- then it's a male. If there is a small red flap then Zorro is a female. ;) Males are also larger than females. Also, get that heat rock out of there, they can be dangerous. They do not provide overhead heat, and when lizards lay on the rocks in can burn them. Green Anoles also shouldn't be fed crickets solely, they should also be fed waxworms and mealworms. Crickets should be gut-loaded so they are nice and healthy for the anoles.

If Zorro is brown a lot, that is a sign that s/he is not warm enough and needs more heat. Keep in mind Anoles also require a UV/B light to mimmic the UV rays from the sun. Staying brown is a common color for them to show when they are stressed.

Good post.

Agreed, heat rocks are bad news for anoles, and other tree dwelling reptiles. We never handled our anoles, they don't like it. Just keep him warm and moist, and give him some time to settle in.

tikeyas_mom
08-02-2004, 12:09 AM
I took out the heat rock hours ago lol. I was doing research and found out that they are bad news. I am returning it on tuesday *the heat rock*. And Yes I do feed him meal worms, I am thining about breeding them so I dont have to spend so much on them each week. . I also make sure that the crickets I buy for him, are fed well for two days before being placed in the Anole tank.. ... .
He has a UV/b light shinning down on him. He has a ton of rocks, leaves, and reptile plants in his aquarium. I just dont know why he isnt getting along well... :(.
I read that Anoles can be tammed. I also read that they are great for first time reptile owners... LIE!!! They are vicious, *well the one I have anyways* And all he does is sit at the top of his tank, on the glass, and stare out the window. He never moves, inless to attack me, and he is always the color brown :(

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
I would say leave him alone for a few days. See if he turns green again. He probly thinks your are trying to eat him, so he is getting really stressed out.

Ash

tikeyas_mom
08-02-2004, 01:11 AM
He is green now. he has been turning off and on all night. I dont believe I want an agressive pet though. I mean I dont want a pet that you just stare at all day, or eles I would have bought a fish.... Maybe a different type of herp?? ..... huh.... I will leave him for a couple days, and see if he warms up at all to me..

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2004, 02:27 AM
What will you do with him then? Where do you live again?

Ashley

tikeyas_mom
08-02-2004, 01:37 PM
I guess i will give him away, bring him back.
I live in Canada

Uabassoon
08-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I guess i will give him away, bring him back.

Well that's a great idea isn't it. You've only had him a few days and you're already thinking about getting rid of him. Now I understand why people get upset everytime you say you want a new pet.

chrissycat21
08-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Don't bring him back to the petstore. If you do have to get rid of him, make sure it is with someone who will care for him well and will take the time to learn about anoles.

I had an aggressive hamster. After a few weeks though she warmed up to me. But I have scars on my hands from being attacked by her. I didn't know any better, I was four when I had her.

-Chrissy

Twisterdog
08-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I read that Anoles can be tammed. I also read that they are great for first time reptile owners... LIE!!! They are vicious, *well the one I have anyways*

Sorry to burst your bubble, but anoles ARE great for first time reptile owners, because they are cheap and easy to keep. You can set up their tank in about ten minutes, they eat readily available insects, and don't require any difficult, complicated care. So, yes, they are great for a first time owner.

As far as them being "tamed", well, that depends on what you call tame. They can become used to you, if you relax and give the poor thing some time to adjust. But, no, a small lizard is never going to be "tame" in the sense that a dog or a bunny is tame. If you slow down and give the little guy a break, perhaps he will get used to you so that he isn't so terrified. But they are not a pet that is EVER going to come to you to be petted or ride around on your shoulder. They are just not like that. You should have done some more research on them before getting one, IMO.

He has a UV/b light shinning down on him.

A UV light is great, reptiles need a light that simulates natural sunlight. But, make sure the light is also producing HEAT - some don't. He also needs a hot place under a light to get warm, or else he won't be able to digest the food he eats.

swimma253
08-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Well that's a great idea isn't it. You've only had him a few days and you're already thinking about getting rid of him. Now I understand why people get upset everytime you say you want a new pet.

Well that wasnt very nice.

Im sure shes not getting rid of him right this second. She is probably still giving him a chance to warm up to her.

And IF she does decide that she is going to give him away... she is only doing it for the best. Obviously she would have to feel that Zorro is not going to be in the best hands with her and that he would be better off with someone else.

I am not saying that he is NOT in good hands... I was just stating that she would probably feel that way IF she decides to give him away.

Carly

tikeyas_mom
08-03-2004, 01:34 PM
He isnt healthy. he is always brown in color, meaning a sign of stress, and he hates people. probably because he was torn out of the wild.

He hasnt aten once in the week that I have had him, and he is suppost to be eating three small crickets a day pluse the odd mealworm.
The pet store sold me an unhealthy pet, so I am bringing it back, enough said.

Aspen and Misty
08-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Are you sure it's not a BROWN Anole????

Maybe the tag on the cage was wrong and he was a Brown Anole, who I beleave can be green sometimes.

AND, maybe he sees his refelction in the glass and it scares him, give him some time to get used to it, maybe put up some paper. (read this while I was doing research about Green Anole)

If he is stressed it's no wonder he hasn't eaten.

Ash

Desert Arabian
08-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Just about every single Green Anole in pet shops are from the wild.

aly
08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by swimma253

Laura's very nice actually :) Its just that a ton of things have happened before you joined PT. Laura would never say anything like that for no reason.

swimma253
08-03-2004, 03:22 PM
ok. I understand. :)

tikeyas_mom
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
ok. I understand. :)

I agree with you, it wasnt nice.

Tonya
08-04-2004, 06:47 PM
I know nothing about green anoles, so I can't help you there. I hope you work that situation out...but about the meal worms...when we had bearded dragons, we started buying the meal worms and crickets from Cabella's. It's a outdoor fishing company. They sell them as fish bait and they are way cheaper. They'll ship them right to your door.

Here is the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0011800&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&link=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search

Kfamr
08-04-2004, 08:44 PM

LOL. I think that was just about the nicest way someone could put something, in this situation atleast. :p

Laura is a very nice & smart person. :)