PDA

View Full Version : Question for cockatiel owners.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
08-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Is there a good way to keep Charlie's nails trimmed down? I've heard that the sandpaper perches hurt her feet, so I don't know what to do! She has long sharp little claws... HURTS on bare skin!

Amber
08-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Hmm, not a bird owner, but maybe you could take her to the vet to have hem trimmed? i'm sure they do that.

popcornbird
08-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Don't use sandpaper perches. They're bad for their feet, and can cause sores and infections.

I usually trim my birds' nails myself. You have to be VERY careful and trim *just* the tips. Birds do have blood in their toe nails, so if you do it wrong, you could really hurt your bird badly. If you haven't done it yourself before, or don't know anyone who can do it safely, then you should probably get it done at the vets. My birds are very tolerant and allow me to hold their feet and toes while I trim their nails, so its easy for me. My friend's mom taught me how to trim their wings and nails myself. I don't know if Charlie would let you hold her feet, but even if she would, it can be dangerous if you're inexperienced on this issue. I'm not sure how much vets charge to trim nails, but I know they do it.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-01-2004, 08:18 PM
I agree with PCB 100%. Don't use sandpaper perches. I too clip my birds nails myself. One thing I keep on hand (and would never clip nails without it as a back-up) is quick-stop. I don't think I've ever used it on my birds, but I feel better having it just in case. The veins in birds nails are very close to the tips, so be careful to clip just the tips.

Logan
08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
I have never clipped Roger and Milly's nails. There is a little more sharpness to the skin when I am wearing a sleeveless shirt, but it isn't bad and they don't scratch me. They do have a "gritty" perch in each cage, which may help, but it is not the sandpaper kind. Sure do wish I could remember the name!!!! :o

GoldenRetrLuver
08-02-2004, 12:27 PM
We've never clipped Piper's nails. He, too, has a "gritty" perch like Logan, which isn't sandpaper; but I can't remember the name. :o His nails aren't that sharp, and they wear down on the perch we have, so I've never needed to trim them.

My Peanuts
08-02-2004, 12:52 PM
I use Polly's perches in between trimmings. They are made of cement and are a little rough, but they don't break the skin or cause infections like sandpaper. I would call around to pet stores. The one I got Evie from will trim the nails for $2.00. It's well worth it. Otherwise and avian vet will do it. My avian vet will not touch a bird to trim the nails or beak unless they have had a check up in the last year. I wouldn’t suggest doing it yourself unless someone shows you how first.