PDA

View Full Version : Blooming Flowers :)

Craftlady
08-01-2004, 01:45 PM
I gave my girlfriend a pkg of bulbs to plant in her yard in memory of Butterscotch. Picked the color yellow to honor his fur color :)
Only bad thing is we will have to dig the bulbs up after first frost and keep them in basement. I hope they survive.

I'm so excited they are blooming ;)

Canna Hybrida
They bloomed this weekend for me. My g/f bloomed last week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/memorialflower5.jpg

Upclose photo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/memorialflower.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Craftlady/Kids/memorialflower4.jpg

sirrahbed
08-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Beautiful Becky! Hope you are successful at overwintering them - I have never attempted that - but these look worth the trouble:)

Craftlady
08-01-2004, 04:20 PM
I hope it works too. Never thought when I bought them that they would have to be dug up in the fall. Wondering if I just put a goodl layer of mulch protection that would be ok? I have 2 other places where I planted that didn't come up as good as these two spots (the others aren't in sun)so I might experiment with those.

kimlovescats
08-01-2004, 04:46 PM
What a beautiful idea ... they look great! My mom had cannas for years and never dug them up. Is it just where you live or something? Extra harsh winters?:confused:

Christiansmommy
08-01-2004, 04:53 PM
My husband's Grandmother has a ton off Canna, and she has to dig them up every year, and replant them. She lives in New Jersey.

BTW, they look great.

Robyn

Craftlady
08-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Actually we have rather mild winters here Northern KY.
Being from NE Ohio where winters are brutal. This is a cake walk here. LOL
Everything that I have read so far says dig them up each fall.

jazzcat
08-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Beautiful! I think that was such a wonderful idea.

I planted cannas in my parent's yard years ago and they continued to come back each year for about 6-7 years and we never dug them up but we are a little further south than you.

catmandu
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I am sure that Butterscotch,at the Rainbow Bridge,is touched,that you still think,of him,and are planting Flowers,in his memory!

Craftlady
08-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
I am sure that Butterscotch,at the Rainbow Bridge,is touched,that you still think,of him,and are planting Flowers,in his memory!

We think of him daily. Especially remember at night time good nights. I've always seeked out all the furry kids to say a personal good night to them. I dont forget RB, that we hope he sleeps well and we love him. Today it's been 5 months since he passed to the bridge. Dang where's the kleenex. :(

DJFyrewolf36
08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
My parents plant flowers for thier RB kittes and I go over there to plant flowers for my RB ratties too. Its a very beautiful idea! Those are really gorgeous flowers! I've never heard about digging them up in the fall, then again those things don't grow very well here *what does lol*