PDA

View Full Version : Insult to Injury - from my local newspaper

Pam
08-01-2004, 11:22 AM
There is a pet cemetary not far from where I live, and it has been there for as long as I can remember. Now it seems that there was a state law enacted in 1985 which requires that pet cemetary owners must charge an annual or permanent fee for maintenance of the grounds. The story highlights a couple of people who lost their pets back in the 1970's and they are now being hit with huge bills to cover past maintenance. My question is why didn't the cemetary send out letters announcing this policy back in 1985? It seems that now, if the back fees are not paid, the pets' bodies must be exhumed and other suitable resting places found. This just totally amazes me. :rolleyes: :mad: Story here:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m073104a.htm

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:28 AM
That is horrible!

It would be insulting to my pets to bury them at our pet cemetary. It is a disgusting pile of weeds. It make me mad when I drive by it. I don't know what I will do with them. I probably should look and see if there is a nice one in a nearby town.

Rachel
08-01-2004, 02:22 PM
This would be another reason to chose cremation, although I often wonder if the remains I have are actually of my individual dogs (what I paid for) or just a sampling of a combined cremation.

heinz57_79
08-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Can you say LAWSUIT??? I'd be on the phone to small claims within seconds. First off, there's no way they should be charged for time BEFORE '85. And where do they get off sending them a deliquent bill almost 20 years after the fact??? The pet cemetary should have to pay for all that since it was their fault for not charging in the first place and only sending the bill 20 years later. I'd be FURIOUS! That would be like someone telling me 50 years after my grandparents passed away that the maintenence needed to be paid on their sites... it's the same thing. I'm sure there are more options for these people. It just ticks me off!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

anna_66
08-02-2004, 08:50 AM
If they don't pay, bookkeeper Pam Anfenson said, the pets' remains will be removed.
I just can't imagine! I would be devistated!