PDA

View Full Version : Help! New dog for first time dog person

hellostranger
07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi everybody,

I was hoping you might have some dog advice for me. ;) I am a lifetime cat person who adopted/rescued a dog for the first time today and I'm a little stressed and want to make sure I'm doing the right things for her. Any advice would be great!!

She is about two years old and a beagley-mix. When I got her she was truly filthy and absolutely covered in fleas - I could see them walking around on her face from a foot away. I was about two hours from home so I took her to the closest vet I could find and she got a capstar tablet and some Advantix for later. Then I took her to Pet Warehouse and did the "dog wash" and got her a collar and food, a bed and a collapsible crate.

She was SO GOOD all day and right now she is lying on the floor next to me sleeping. What else should I do for her? Should I put her in the crate tonight even though she's getting along with my cats? I am going to take her to my vet on Monday because she is limping although she lets me hold her paw and it doesn't seem to bother her. What else should I do for the fleas? THey are still falling off her... YUCK! I hate fleas!! :eek:

Sorry for the long post but I'm feeling very anxious. Thanks so much. :)

Shelteez2
07-31-2004, 09:16 PM
First of all congrats on the new addition! :)

I would probably make her sleep in the crate for a little bit until you are sure you can trust her to hold her bladder overnight.

As for the fleas I am not sure. Are they alive? If so I'd give her a bath using diluted Dawn dish detergent as it kills fleas and isn't too harmful on the skin. If they are dead you can get a flea comb and comb them off.

Good luck. And thanks for rescuing this little girl.

Cookiebaker
07-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Hey Hellostranger, welcome to pettalk!! Congratulations on your new addition. What did you name your new pup??

I would probably make her sleep in the crate for a little bit until you are sure you can trust her to hold her bladder overnight.

I tend to agree with this. She will probably feel a little bit safer in a crate in the dark, until she gets to know you and your house a little bit better.

p.s. What part of Vermont are you?? I live right over the border in NH.

hellostranger
08-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I did put her in the crate in the bedroom and she was a very good girl. Never whined but just went right to sleep. Actually, my cats were more obnoxious then she was! :D

I think I'm going to name her Phoebe. We took a walk this morning and I can tell she wants to be a good girl. The humane society here gives training classes and I think we could both use one. :)

ps I'm in the Lake Champlain area, right outside Burlington.

sabies
08-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track with everything you've done so far. I would keep the crate going for a while - she will feel more secure having her own spot especially with cats around! A trip to the vet and training classes sounds like a great plan.

Cookiebaker and hellostranger - Sadie and I have a vacation house in VT and we love it up there (we are in south central vt near londonderry). It's so dog friendly in our neighborhood. You guys are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area all the time. I wish I could find a permanent job there!

Rachel
08-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Get yourself the book *Good Owners, Great Dogs* by Brian Kilcommons. He is a dog trainer who apprenticed with Barbara Woodhouse, a legend in the dog world. He has a lot of sensible advice about living with and training your dog. The library would probably have a plethera of other books which would be helpful to you. Read a variety and keep in mind that each dog has their own personality.

In addition to having your dog adapt to life with you, you want to be conscious of adapting to your dog. This is especially important when dealing with your dog's need to relieve itself.

It sounds as if you have a very good dog who will appreciate your efforts in all that it takes to care for her. Congratulations on adding a member to your family and thank you for giving this needy creature a home.

anna_66
08-01-2004, 10:14 AM
It sounds like you've gotten some good advice already.

I just wanted to say thank you for taking in this sweet girl, I'm sure you'll spend many wonderful days together!

If you have any pictures we sure would love to see some:D

DogLover9501
08-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Congrats on the new addition!!

You seem to be on the right track with crate training and with everything! I think an obedience class sounds great.

Tonya
08-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Congratulations on your new addition! We can't wait to see pictures. :D

cocker_luva
08-01-2004, 05:41 PM
congrats!!! i also cant wait for pics.

KYS
08-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Congratulations on adding Phoebe
into your life.

LorraineO
08-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Congrats on your new baby.... and good for you for rescuing her!!It sounds to many of us here that youre doing everything right... and that your baby is a good dog who obviously knows she is lucky to have found you. Just take one day at a time, be consistant and for anything we cant help with,, go to the good ol VET!!

Welcome to Pet Talk!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

mruffruff
08-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with everyone else. You're doing all the right things.

The crate is a great idea. She will consider it home and be willing to go there anytime she might need to be confined.

The capstar is killing the fleas and any you find should be dead. A thorough combing with a flea comb should get rid of them.

Congratulations on your new pal.

Mary

pitc9
08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Congrats!!!
* Yeah.... another live saved!!!!! *

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

I agree with the crate, maybe once you know you can trust her 100% when your gone and/or sleeping, you can leave the door to the crate open so she can go in if she wants to! One of mine think of his crate as his "safe place"

stacwase
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I second "Good Owners, Great Dogs". It's an excellent book.

Congratulations on your dog! Where did you find her? I'll bet she is just going to love you to bits. Can you imagine how happy you'd be if you were miserable and dirty and covered with fleas and probably neglected in many other ways and then you were taken into a warm, loving home with somebody who cared for you? She must be in seventh heaven.