PDA

View Full Version : How do you pet your cat?

jenluckenbach
07-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I wondered if you pet only with the lay of the fur. Or do you "ruffle" them and pet back and forth (against and with the lay of the fur)?

The majority of my cats just LOVE the be rubbed BOTH ways. (It removes a lot of dead hair, too ;) :D

Tonya
07-31-2004, 06:20 PM
I normally just smooth their fur out. If I'm feeling obnoxious, I'll "mess" their fur up, which always results in getting bit. Actually, Ron doesn't care what I do...it's Raven that is particular.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-31-2004, 06:21 PM
I usually do both. I ruffle them up, then smooth them down!:D

sirrahbed
07-31-2004, 06:48 PM
A soothing pet is with the lay of the hair - but they especially love to be roughed up! Back and forth and scrunched up:D And yes, it does loosen up the dead fur!! Still, a bedtime or calming rub is always with the direction of growth.

catnapper
07-31-2004, 07:21 PM
I usually do the smoothing with the hair, but Allen LOVES to be ruffed backwards... he'll MAKE grant do it for the longest time, then come to me for "polishing" and putting the fur back in place. He doesn;t have us trained, does he?

jazzcat
07-31-2004, 07:53 PM
I picked other just because my three cats each like to be pet differently. Ripley loves it both ways, Scout is starting to like it ruffed up but Jazz will only let you pet with the lay of the fur or she will cry and run away.

rpcathouse
07-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I do all of the above. But bedtime rub is with the nap of the fur. I know all of mine love the time we share for rubs. Now Combing or brushing that is a different story. Just any one here they each have something they love or hate. No two cats are the same.

Stella

Freckles
07-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Pet by the lay. Brush both ways.

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2004, 10:09 PM
I actually do all three that you posted.

Storm loves me to scratch him with and against the fur. He also loves me to spank him on the bottom and on the sides of his bottom. He loves it so much that he meows for more.:) This also makes him act very goofy like catnip does. I think I found a kitty
erogenous zone.:D

Sunny loves me to scratch his back going with the fur and sometimes he'll then roll over for a belly rub.:)

Cirrus loves me to scratch his back going with the fur.

Sky also loves me scratch his back going with the fur. If I try to go against the fur he gets very hyper and then tries to bite me.:eek:

catmandu
08-01-2004, 10:37 AM
I dud the petting,the traditional way,until I got a Book,on cat massage,now I are doing swirls,finger tips,and figure 8s,and The Found Cats All Love IT!

RedHedd
08-01-2004, 01:26 PM
All of the above, but mostly in the direction the fur grows. Mitzi is the most fun to ruffle because her fur is SO thick, wooly, long and fluffy. I don't think she likes it too much, but it feels SO good to me. With Mishi, I love to ruffle his curly belly fluff, he's not too sure he likes it, but he never bites.

Cataholic
08-01-2004, 04:33 PM
All ways! What begins as a pet with the lay of the fur migrates into a scrunchie of all the fur. My hands become little massagers, and hair gets pushed every which way. It ends with a combing (using my fingers) with the lay of the fur again. My cats don't like bed head!

KAK- I have several cats that like the pat on the butt, and next to the butt.....weird as it sounds.

heinz57_79
08-01-2004, 06:04 PM
None of my cats like being "petted".... but they all LOVE getting their ears scritched and chins and tummies rubbed. :)

lisalee
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I try to brush Sash both ways, in the opposite direction seems to be very good at loosening up the dead fur. He's pretty good and seems to be enjoying it for the first few minutes, then he becomes a bit testy and I usually have to quit. I can pet him anywhere though, he even likes his belly kissed.;)

jazzcat
08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Storm loves me to scratch him with and against the fur. He also loves me to spank him on the bottom and on the sides of his bottom. He loves it so much that he meows for more.:) This also makes him act very goofy like catnip does. I think I found a kitty
erogenous zone.:D
LOL - Ripley is the same way. It's a little on the bizarre side but he seems to like it. My husband thinks it funny because Ripley only wants me to do it.