PDA

View Full Version : And Now I have five dogs

Tonya
07-31-2004, 05:09 PM
I just came home and there were two dogs laying on my front porch. It is like they were waiting for me. It is a pit mix that acts very abused and an old old old Retriever. It is red haired with a grey face and NO teeth. I don't know if they were dropped off or just got lost. It's odd that they chose my house to hang out at.

So, I have some signs up. My neighbor (the evil I hate dogs lady) wants the retriever. She said that her retriever was stolen years ago and this one reminds her of him.

Amber
07-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Awww, I can't belive it..

poor dogs...Have any pictures of them?

Karen
07-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Of COURSE they chose your house. Don't you know all Pet Talk homes have a large sign in blinking lights that says "animal spoiler inside, c'mon over!" that is visible to all animals, just not to humans? ;)

Tonya
07-31-2004, 05:43 PM
My digital camera is still at my grandmother's. I took pics of them with a disposable, so you'll see pics eventually. The pitty mix kind of resembles Felony. It has pretty markings.

Tonya
07-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Oh, and I have to correct myself. The pitty mix isn't acting abused now. Maybe she was just scared when she first met me. They're sweethearts. I tried seperating them because I wanted to feed the old one soft food and the pitty flipped out. Obviously they are inseperable. So, they are both in the house right now. They are acting really well and I can tell that they aren't allowed on furniture. Jaden called one of them on the couch and it wouldn't go up there.

cocker_luva
07-31-2004, 05:47 PM
awesome.

Toller 42
07-31-2004, 05:58 PM
If nobody claims them are you going to keep them? They sound like very nice dogs.

bckrazy
07-31-2004, 06:19 PM
aw, how nice of you for taking them in Tonya! :D yep, they must be smart doggies if they found your house. i cant wait to see the pics!

Tonya
07-31-2004, 06:19 PM
No, I can't keep them. Of course, I would never have the heart to turn that old retriever to a shelter though. She's deaf also, btw. I'd probably keep them until I found a good home.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Poor pups! Not teeth, how is that possible! Well, at least they will be taken care of with you, they are safe with you, I know for sure!;) Are you going to keep them? Keep us updated! Thanks!:)

LorraineO
07-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Well arent you just THE angel with no fur for taking them in,,, You are a good person and I slaute you!!!!

Tonya
07-31-2004, 07:53 PM
I am no angel! Just a sucker for animals! I just took them for a walk around the block. The retriever fell three times. I really don't think she walked far to get to my house. No one in the neighborhood recognizes them. I hope no one dumped them off here!

LorraineO
07-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I am no angel! Just a sucker for animals! I just took them for a walk around the block. The retriever fell three times. I really don't think she walked far to get to my house. No one in the neighborhood recognizes them. I hope no one dumped them off here!

awwwwwwww...... that breaks my heart,, poor lil thing,, I bet you someone did indeed dump them,, if the poor guy couldnt even manage around the block,,,,,,, sigh,,,,, I still say yer an angel,, you didnt have to keep them,, you could have taken them to the shelter,, but you didnt,,, you were extra wonderful and took them in anyways,, even if it is until you find some place new,,, any idea how old the retriever is? Or the other one,, a pittie? Man,, wish I was closer,, I would take them both!!!!!

Tonya
07-31-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm not a very good judge. But she doesn't walk well, she's deaf (or pretends to be :p ), the few teeth that she has left are rotten or worn down to the gum, and her face is entirely grey. How old do golden retrievers live until? My guess is she's that old. 15?

The pit mix doesn't look all that pit. That is just the only breed in it that I can tell for sure. She is a smaller dog, and you can tell she has had pups for sure. She is BAD with cats. She lost her inside privledges already. :rolleyes:

Tonya
07-31-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm not a very good judge. But she doesn't walk well, she's deaf (or pretends to be :p ), the few teeth that she has left are rotten or worn down to the gum, and her face is entirely grey. How old do golden retrievers live until? My guess is she's that old. 15?

The pit mix doesn't look all that pit. That is just the only breed in it that I can tell for sure. She is a smaller dog, and you can tell she has had pups for sure. She is BAD with cats. She lost her inside privledges already. :rolleyes:

And I am kind of thinking that their owners don't speak English. They are by far way to old and well behaved to not know any basic commands.

LorraineO
07-31-2004, 08:15 PM

Can you maybe ask your vet if they can look atthe retriever and not charge you an arm and a leg to see how its general health is? I worry when I hear that they fall down like that.... could be because of the hearing,,, how is the health of the other dog?? Is it older too? Do they both eat ok?
Man,, I sound like a worried old auntie,,,,,

jazzcat
07-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Oh poor doggies. At least they found a great place for help. The retriever sounds pitiful. Bless you for helping them.

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
Can you maybe ask your vet if they can look atthe retriever and not charge you an arm and a leg to see how its general health is? I worry when I hear that they fall down like that.... could be because of the hearing,,, how is the health of the other dog?? Is it older too? Do they both eat ok?
Man,, I sound like a worried old auntie,,,,,

I think she has arthritis. She walks really really really slow. She's otherwise a very happy dog though. I'm falling in love with them! The pitty is probably only 4-5 years old. She is playful but fairly calm.

My vet won't charge me for lost dogs. (My vet is an angel too!) I'm taking them in today because on Sunday's no one is there, so it's especially easy to get discounts. I am going to have him check for microchips and if he can for diabetes. I'm afraid that I may not be feeding her what she needs.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-01-2004, 11:05 AM
If she's a Golden Retriever, 15 is definately old for her.

Poor dogs. :( At least they found you, though.

So, I have some signs up. My neighbor (the evil I hate dogs lady) wants the retriever. She said that her retriever was stolen years ago and this one reminds her of him.

Why would she want the Retriever if she hates dogs? :confused:

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:20 AM
My neighbor is weird. She just hates my dogs to death. Story from her husband is that she was attacked by a Husky when she was little. She is nice to my pom, Sarah and she was nice to my RB pit-sharpei, Rosco. And Rosco was very unpredicatable and aggressive. My dogs are sweethearts and she hates them.

Oh, and I don't know how old this dog is. She's probably just a year or two less then the average age that retrievers live to be. I was guessing they live to be 15, I don't know.

LorraineO
08-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I think she has arthritis. She walks really really really slow. She's otherwise a very happy dog though. I'm falling in love with them! The pitty is probably only 4-5 years old. She is playful but fairly calm.

My vet won't charge me for lost dogs. (My vet is an angel too!) I'm taking them in today because on Sunday's no one is there, so it's especially easy to get discounts. I am going to have him check for microchips and if he can for diabetes. I'm afraid that I may not be feeding her what she needs.

Methinks youre a mommy to them now,,, you are fallllllinnggggg,, hehehehehehehe......

Good for you to take them in... they are 2 VERY VERY lucky pups!!!!

tonya is my hero!!!!!

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I just found their average lifespan, it is 10-12 years. So I'd guess she's 9 or 10.

Tonya
08-01-2004, 03:07 PM
I went to the vet. They aren't microchipped. :( The vet thinks that the pitty is around 1 year old and the retriever is around 10 or 11. He gave her prednisone because she's having difficulty breathing.

Here's the kicker. I drove everywhere. No one recognizes these dogs. There aren't any signs up anywhere. Not to mention the retriever couldn't have walked very far. They didn't even seem to get remotely excited like maybe they recognized an area.

I think someone left them here. :( I've had alot of people come and go in my house since I'm selling it. Someone probably saw that I was an animal lover and decided to dump their animals off.

molucass
08-01-2004, 03:10 PM
It's so sad that someone would do that... :(

I'm really glad you took them in, and I can't wait to see pics since you said she resembles Felony. :)

It sounds like the pitty is really attatched to the retriever, so I hope if you are unable to keep them, that whoever takes them will keep them together.

Give those poor pups some hugs and belly rubs from me. :)

Aspen and Misty
08-01-2004, 03:12 PM
What will happen to them ???? :(

Thanx for saving these sweet babies. Gosh, if I had more room I'd take the old gal, she sounds like a sweetheart!

Ash

Tonya
08-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
What will happen to them ???? :(

Thanx for saving these sweet babies. Gosh, if I had more room I'd take the old gal, she sounds like a sweetheart!

Ash

I can't have anymore dogs, but I can guarantee that they will not leave my home until they have a good loving home together. The pitty is very protective of her. She lets her eat first. We played fetch and she lets the retriever have the ball once she finally waddles over. When they lay down, the pitty always lays with her body right against the retriever. The retriever does not leave her eyesight. It is as if she's taking care of her. Anyways, I wills top rambling. I'm going to go pick up the photos.

LorraineO
08-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by molucass
It's so sad that someone would do that... :(

I'm really glad you took them in, and I can't wait to see pics since you said she resembles Felony. :)

It sounds like the pitty is really attatched to the retriever, so I hope if you are unable to keep them, that whoever takes them will keep them together.

Give those poor pups some hugs and belly rubs from me. :)

I agree wholeheartedly about keeping them together.. it would be devastating to the retriever... to be seperated,,,,, but if thats the way it has to be to find new homes,, then so be it,, Its better then the shelters where they wouldnt last long I am sure...

but ,, if Tonya is anything like she sounds like she is,, she is gonna keep them both.... heheheh

chocolatepuppy
08-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Tonya, I sure feel for you being stuck in this situation. How could someone dump off an old dog like that? (not to mention a young one too) Maybe they were in a dire situation and didn't want them to end up in the pound. I just can't believe they were sitting on your porch! Best of luck in finding them a home.

DogLover9501
08-01-2004, 08:08 PM
I just seen this...

It's so sad that someone would drop them off like that(if they did), I hope you get homes for them.

Are they both girls?

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:59 PM
I posted their pictures. I posted them under the new thread labeled "Pictures of Sweet mama and Angel (My new houseguests) "

Tonya
08-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
I just seen this...

It's so sad that someone would drop them off like that(if they did), I hope you get homes for them.

Are they both girls?

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Yes, they are both girls. Funny thing is that the pitty seems to not get along with any other girl dogs. Just ol' mama.

anna_66
08-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Tonya how good of you to take them in and even to the vets. I'm sorry that someone is so stupid as to dump them off at your house.

It sounds like she is very protective. I do hope you can rehome them together. Good Luck.