PDA

View Full Version : Chewing the deck...

Buddy Blaze Lover
07-31-2004, 04:41 PM
My dog, Blaze, has gotten into a bad habit of chewing up the bottom part of our decks! We put the "cris-cross" wood around the bottom on purpose to keep him out from underneath the deck, but he still chewed through and is digging like crazy under there!! He's not bored--we play fetch with him, walk him and other stuff all the time, plus he likes to romp inside. Any ideas on getting him to stop? He's a border collie by the way...:confused:

LorraineO
08-05-2004, 11:43 AM
when he chews,, is it when he is left alone?? If so,, it could be a sign of stress and or displeasure at being left behind....

Perhaps a squirt of something to deter his chewing on it? I think there are homemade recipes that arent harmful but sure do taste bad!!!!

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, he is left alone when he does that, but that's when we HAVE to go someplace for the day...different activities, etc. We can't help it if we leave him alone for some time.

Any thoughts on digging then? I know digging's a natural instinct, but Blaze seems to dig a lot too. :p :rolleyes: Sometimes I think he just does it for fun.

LorraineO
08-07-2004, 04:27 PM
digging,,, hmm,, ok,,, now I have seen on Dr S Coren show herein Canada,, that to help a dog to dig in the RIGHT spot,,,, and still let him dig, is to make them thier own small sandbox.... encourage them to dig for toys and treats and hopefully they will catch on quickly that its okay to dig in there and not in mommys garden or grass....

the chewing,,, try giving your pup a bone or Kong ball filled with cheese wiz or peanut butter just as you leave. ,,, this might give him something to chew andwork at while youre away and give your deck a chance at .. life,, lol lol It also gives him the impression he isnt being punished by being left behind...

Rachel
08-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I do wish more people would respond to your thread. Actually I do think your dog is bored. Border Collies are one of the smartest breeds and were bred to work and be useful. I don't have the answer but I would recommend you search on the Internet to find people who are very knowledgeable about this breed to get some ideas on how to channel his intellect and energies in a manner that will alleviate some of the stress he feels right now. I would also suggest you get breed specific books from your library or bookstore and see if there are suggestions that might be of use. Your dog is absolutely lovely and you are right to be concerned.

KYS
08-07-2004, 05:50 PM
How old is your dog?
If he is under two,
than I would say digging and Chewing or normal signs
of the horrible adolesent stage. :)
If he is older, I think you will have a harder time
trying to change his behavior.

Their should be a lot of information on dog behavior as
Rachel said on the internet, or you can go to your local library.
(bored dogs tend to be destructive as well as dogs
that suffer from separation anxiety)
I did not research the web sites below, but
you might look at them and see if any of them
our helpful. :)

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-prob.htm#chew

http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm#dog

http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/dog_library/index_library.shtml

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=C&C=106&S=0

Sky
08-08-2004, 06:25 AM
Not that I am any expert, but if it helps, this is what a dog trainer once told me: He said that he had a client who had a border collie. The owner called him for help and said the dog was chewing the rear decking and she was at a loss at what to do.

The trainer showed up to her house at the agreed time. The lady let him in. She walked him through the house to a door at the rear. She opened the door and where you would nomally step onto the decking was the jaggered remains of what was once rather expansive decking.

The dog was a happy energetic dog. The owner was a dedicated dog person. Now what the owner did everymonring was ride her bicycle to the park with the dog. The park was a few miles away. The bicycle had a big deep basket attached to the handle bars. In this basket were over one hundred tennis balls.

So every morning before the lady went off to work, she rode her bicycle, with the dog runnning beside it to the park a few miles away. At the park the woman would play with the dog, including hitting each tennis ball as fast as she could and as hard as she could with a tennis racket, large distances around the park. The dog would race around and fetch each one. The lady would ride back to the home with the dog running beside her. And every day more and more of the decking was gone.

Now what the trainer told me was this:He said that dogs can run themselves until they can run no more and the flop down with their tongues hanging out, totally exhausted. But 5 or so minutes later, they have renewed energy and can do it all over again. So they have quick recovery.

The trainer said that what the dog needed was mental stimulation as that breed was very intelligent. Now he did not go into detail about what mental stimulation was given but he showed me with my dogs that when I walk them, not to just walk them, but to walk at different paces and make them walk staying at my side all the time, no matter how fast or slow I was walking. Stop and tell them to stay. Walk some more. Give them the command to stop. Stay. Then I walk away and they stay until call them to come. Walk some more, making the dog keep pace right next to me, and change pace. Turn around once in a while, sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right - with the dog staying right by your side the whole time. This sort of thing (he explained) gets the dog not to walk mindlessly next to you, but instead makes the dog's mind pay alot of attention to what you are doing all the time.

For this to work, you need to have your doig trained to heel (Walk by your side, without the dog going further in front than your hip is), sit, stay and come.

The trainer was telling me how important mental exercise is to the dog and he said it does tire them out. Top make his point he told me about the story with the border collie. So likely he gave that lady alot more mental exercises for her dog than he gave me, but I have just told you about what he said in case it helps.

Oh, as someone else here said, I also saw a pet program that showed that you can give your dog a sand pit and train it to dig in that area only.

Good luck! I hope the situation gets better. I know its so difficult to deal with dog behaviour issues as I have one that pees inside :rolleyes:

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the tips!! I do believe that Blaze is just SO smart that he has to be stimulated ALL the time!! More play time would definately do him some good. I also want to start him in agility which I know he would love. And I know--I could play with him ALL day, and then he'll lay down for 5 minutes--but then be up 5 minutes later ready to play again!! :rolleyes: He just cannot get tired! Thanks for those links too, they were really helpful, and I'll definitely take the recommended advice. :) A sandbox of his own is a great idea, and I'll try to find him some good bones to chew, to keep him from going after the deck...which means I need to get the digging mastered first! (as he likes to bury his treats and bones!) :p :rolleyes: ;)

Rachel
08-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
. I also want to start him in agility which I know he would love.

EXCELLENT idea.