PDA

View Full Version : Smelly litter - HELP!

cbriggs
10-08-2001, 08:55 AM
I have two new kittens and the smell of their litterbox is taking over my small apartment (despite cleaning it every day). Does anyone know of any special litter or magical tricks that might elimate the strong odor in my kitchen. I've heard there is really great litter out there that works. Please help!

zippy-kat
10-08-2001, 10:11 AM
Hi there cbriggs! Welcome to Pettalk!

Baking Soda, Baking Soda, Baking Soda!
That's the best smell-absorber I have found.
You can buy kitty-litter w/ baking soda in it. In my humble opinion, the 'multiple cat formulas' work best. Also, covered litter boxes (if you can get your cat to use them) work wonders on reducing the smell. (We have one cat that will use it and one that won't. :rolleyes: )

We also keep one of the glade-plung-in thingies next to the boxes.
Hope this helps!!

purrley
10-08-2001, 10:30 AM
Cbriggs - the covered litter box is an excellent idea, being you got little guys, they may get used to it really quick, I use One-Step catlitter and a baking soda deodorizer as well. Also you can buy that no vacuum carpet deodorizer, works great in the litter box and makes their little feetzees smell better. Good luck and by the way - I love to use my electric potporrie pot with smellies in the litter box area also. :D

NoahsMommy
10-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Hi Cbriggs,

Congrats on your new friends!!

We get Noah "Fresh Step" litter with baking soda. It works really well and only smells when he first goes. I also have one of those stick-on air fresheners next to his litter box, which is next to a window.

Maybe you have a window you can place the box by? That will really help too.

Good luck and Welcome to Pet Talk! :D

thelmalu99
10-10-2001, 10:52 AM
Yes, Baking Soda is the best for eliminating odors (even in your fridge + freezer!).

I sprinkle some Arm & Hammer litterbox deodorizer in with the litter. Keeps it nice and fresh!