PDA

View Full Version : Do you have this where you live?

Tonya
07-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Sweet Sixy's post about a popcorn truck got me thinking. What do you have where you live that others might not have?

We have the Paleta Bike. A guy peddles around on a bike ringing a bell everyday and sells Mexican ice cream. I always get the Strawberry and Cream flavor.

Jazzy
07-30-2004, 11:03 PM
I saw on the street the other day, a guy was pushing a cart, I don't know what he was selling but I saw it's a grated ice with different colors and flavors.

I am new in this forum

Amber
07-30-2004, 11:04 PM
nothing....our town gots nothing

But, when we were driving in downtown cincinatti I saw a hot dog stand

Tonya
07-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi, Jazzy. Welcome to PT! :D

Tonya
07-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Amber

Oh you have to have something! Even if it isn't food related. Something that makes you think home.

I have another one. I am sure others have this too...

Tractors driving through the middle of town (traffic lights and all) with a farmer and a dog on it.

Petluvr013
07-31-2004, 12:17 AM
We have the...
We have the...
UMM....

I don't know what we have, exept for REALLY GOOD b-b-q!

cocker_luva
07-31-2004, 01:38 AM
we have a Popcorn Depot that sells popcorn, how strange. :rolleyes: LOL

also we have a standard ice cream truck that sells popcicles, ice cream bars of all sorta, etc.

but thats it.

Sirrahsim
07-31-2004, 06:53 AM
We have lots of people with slanty eyes who speak Japanese and read Kanji... but that could be because we live in Japan:D :D
In downtown Roppongi there are a lot of street vendors who make yakisoba and other dishes with ramen. I've never eaten at one though, my Japanese language skills are very poor:o :o :o

Pam
07-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Just the ice cream truck in the summer and he usually comes through in the evenings nowadays. When my kids were small and I'd put them in for their afternoon naps he would drive by and his little song would waft up to their bedroom windows. End of nap for them! :mad: :rolleyes:

catcrazylady
07-31-2004, 10:07 AM
This is a neat thread idea!

How many of you know what White Castle burgers are? How many people drink Big Red?

I discovered while my ex was in the military and I met lots of people from many different places that many of them had no idea what these were. That's when I first discovered that a lot of things are regional. I guess I was pretty stupid before that because I always assumed that everyone had these things!

Tonya, we have the tractors in the middle of town too but ours are usually pulling hay wagons.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

cloverfdx
07-31-2004, 10:14 AM
We have an IceCream van in Summer. We also have the donut bus LOL :o. Oh and the chippie van, good for when you are walking home at 3am on a cold Winters morning (After clubbing ;) ), they have everything Hot dogs, Chicken schnitzel rolls, hot chips with, wait for it.....Cheese and Gravy :o.

Lol our City is so embarrasing. :o :rolleyes:

Tonya
07-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Oooh! The chippie van sounds good. We always have to go to Taco Bell or Denny's after clubbing. Nothing is open!

hmmmm, I have to think for some more things...

Oh! I know!

Do you have cruising?

Did you know that the movie American Graffitti was filmed in Modesto? This is George Lucas' hometown.

cloverfdx
07-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Tonya yeah the chippie van is great, but now i am hungry (I did not feel like clubbing tonight so no chippie van). :)

Cruising??? If is to do with driving around town, then yes we do.

I did not know that about American Graffiti.

Hmmmm oh one of the Mad Max movies was filmed here, well just out of town in a place called Clunes (Useless information ;) ).

Everytime i see the movie Queen of the Damned i think of home, because a Ballarat band member was in one of the deleted scenes, some goth guy i think his name is Ben (One of my friends knows him).

anna_66
07-31-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, we have BK Hot Dog Stands. You sit in your car and they come out with a tray and put it on your window like they used to do in the olden days! J/K:p

Sweet Sixy
07-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Well, I've already told you about our popcorn truck. We have a few other cool things in this little town too, we have an ice cream stand with a drive up window! We also have the bookmobile which is a traveling library pretty much, I LOVED That when I was a kid. Our town also has a lot of history, Mark Twains grave is here as well as is study and one of his homes. Thats all I can think of that would be really interesting.

Tonya
07-31-2004, 02:47 PM
A traveling library! That is such a wonderful idea! That would be great for disabled and senior citizens who can't get out. It would also encourage children to read more because they wouldn't have to rely on their parents to take them to the library.

heinz57_79
07-31-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't know if tucson has anything special, but when i lived in Bangkok we had food stands all over the place - like noodle soup, seafood bbq, and stuff like that. Most of it was on little rolly carts that would sort of un-fold and bring out a chair and a cardboard box for you to sit down and eat. :)

swimma253
07-31-2004, 03:19 PM
well... lets see...

We have.... Zippo! lol

I dont even have an ice-cream man!:( Which is sad for me because I love icecream!

But an icecream man comes to neighborhoods and his name is Mr.Ding-A-Ling...or...Ding-A-Ling-Dan... lol! (odd) But I have never seen him! :( lol I wish we had a mexican icecream person! lol
But we do have mail people...:rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
07-31-2004, 07:05 PM
When you live in the "Boonies"... :rolleyes:
You Don't Have :( things that many folks take for granted...

* No "Fast Food" :( - Closest MickeyD's is 15 miles :eek:

* ONE gas station

But between County Fairs; a Hot Saussage Stand sets up at the Gas Station -
WE call that "OUR Fast Food" stand! ;)

* NO Fire Hydrants :( (We Fire Guys get our Fire Water from private lakes & ponds!)

* NO Towne Doctor - Closest is 12 miles
* But the VET is only 7 miles away! :D

* NO Big City :p SMOG!

What *DO* we have?

* Family of Deer munchin in the front yard many evenings

* Family of Killdeer (Burds) raising 3 lil ones in the :eek: DRIVEway!

* The occasional Lost Horse or Cow wandering down the road

* Neighbors that *wave* Every Time they drive by!

:) :D

Uabassoon
07-31-2004, 07:15 PM
When I lived in South Texas we used to get the Elote guy. He would sell roasted corn on the cob and drive around the city. He would yell things from his megaphone like "compre mis elotes, son elotes muy ricos!" "Elotes con chile!" It was really random.

Here in Tucson we have the tamale lady, she walks around town selling tamales they are yummy :)

Tonya
07-31-2004, 07:18 PM
We have a tamale lady too! I always place big orders and freeze them. Good for nights when I don't feel like cooking.

kingrattus
07-31-2004, 10:22 PM
back home in smiths falls we had several cool things.

1. icecream guys on bikes
2. the hersheys factory
3. wild animals walking around...not everyday but atleast u see some once amonth..like coons, deer, skunks and there r several ospray nest stands around.
4.for a year their was an ostrich burger stand, great stuff mmmm.. but the guys fell deadly ill and he closed it down

here in the city of ottawa

1. guys who pull carts that you sit in
2. a bus service.. most bus' have wheel chair ramps and seats that fold up so the wheelchair can park there and buckel up

thats all i can think of

Twisterdog
07-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Hmmmmmm ..... we have precious little that is exciting, that's for sure.

The bigger town near me once had a moose in our cemetery. And a herd of pronghorn (antelope) living on the lawn of their college. There used to be an ice cream truck in the summers when I was a kid, but it isn't around anymore.

In the town I live in, here is what we DON'T have: stoplights, gas stations, stores, theaters, sidewalks, crime, smog. And here is what we DO have: horses walking down the street, a one-room post office where everyone meets to gossip at 8:00 am, a volunteer fire department and a ladies' auxillary, and an abandoned mine tipple. What the heck is a mine tipple, you ask? A big building where coal was brought from the mine, separated by hand into piles by size, and loaded into railroad cars. The wives and kids of the miners usually worked at the tipple. I believe the tipple here is the only complete free-standing coal tipple left in the USA. (I attached a picture). We also have an underground coal mine that is slowly burning. In the winter, a whole mountain ridge steams, and all the snow melts off of it. Rather unique, I suppose.

Tonya
08-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Wow, twisterdog. It is very pretty where you live! That tipple is cool looking.

Originally posted by kingrattus
back home in smiths falls we had several cool things.
1. icecream guys on bikes
2. the hersheys factory

We have a Hershey's factory in the town next to us. In fact, that is how I figured out I was pregnant. I was working in a subdivision next to it for months, and the chocolate smelled sooo good. Then, I was off of work for a week (because I was really tired :p ). When I came back to work, the chocolate suddenly smelled like poop to me. My nose always changes when I'm pregnant, so that was what gave me the clue. lol.

RICHARD
08-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Jazzy
I saw on the street the other day, a guy was pushing a cart, I don't know what he was selling but I saw it's a grated ice with different colors and flavors.

I am new in this forum

He is selling raspadas (raw-spa-dahs) It's just a freshly made 'snow cone".

Welcome to pet talk!

RICHARD
08-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

* Neighbors that *wave* Every Time they drive by!

:) :D

For the record. ...

People do wave when they drive by here in Los Angeles......

Of course it's sad to see that waving handguns have given way to AK-74's....those machine guns wake EVERYONE up in the neighborhood!
:mad:

;)

heinz57_79
08-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Here in Tucson we have the tamale lady, she walks around town selling tamales they are yummy :)

I forgot about the tamale and tortilla lady... The tortillas are mm mm good! Fresh, and made with TONS of LARD!! hehehe Good stuff!

In Hawaii we have a shrimp truck on the north shore, that has actually been featured in Bon Appetite magazine.

lizzielou742
08-02-2004, 02:30 PM
No tipples, tamale ladies, or mexican ice cream here in Kentucky. What we DO have (BESIDES the Kentucky Derby):

1. Ale-8-One!!! (http://www.ale-8-one.com/index.html)
2. Derby Pie (http://www.derbypie.com/)
3. Kentucky Hot Brown (http://recipestoday.com/recipes/sandwich/kentuckyhotbrown.htm)
4. The Mint Julep (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2004/derby_experience/mint_julep.html)
5. Come here, and you'll see lots of this (http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/forestry/wif/images/postcards/13tobfield2.JPG): tobacco growing on farms with black barns and red roofs.
6. The best college EVAR!!!!! (http://www.uky.edu/) Bahahaha!! :D

Kentucky people, am I missing anything?? CCL, I know White Castle and Big Red, of course!!! Ever had Peach Nehi (http://www.scottsiconiumstore.com/nehi.htm)? That was one thing I discovered when I moved to KY that I had never had before - I LOVE it!!!

lizzielou742
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Amber

Amber, I've been to Grand Lake St. Marys (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/grndlake.htm) a few times. Is that where you live? I thought it was a very cool place! :)

RICHARD
08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I forgot about the tamale and tortilla lady... The tortillas are mm mm good! Fresh, and made with TONS of LARD!! hehehe Good stuff!

OMG.....

I'd marry a tamale lady for her wares....

We used to have a tamale lady. She sold us the best tamales I had ever eaten. My mouth waters when I think about them! The absolute best part was the 'masa'-it was fluffy and it didn't have the coarse texture of a regular tamale- and the beef was perfectly seasoned..

Tonya
08-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
For the record. ...

People do wave when they drive by here in Los Angeles......

Of course it's sad to see that waving handguns have given way to AK-74's....those machine guns wake EVERYONE up in the neighborhood!
:mad:

;)

Yeah, and they wave their middle fingers often here in California. :rolleyes:

cali
08-02-2004, 06:11 PM
we have cowtown! lol its a..er...sorta... a feed store but right up the stairs in the middle of the store is a shop for cowboy clothing and such lol we also have one of the best ice cream places ever! lol Milky way ice cream....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

kingrattus
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I know one. Deep fried Ice-cream!!

Toller 42
08-02-2004, 08:56 PM
All I have seen is an ice-cream truck that drives around selling fudgesicles and drumsticks.

kingrattus
08-02-2004, 10:11 PM
here is a pic of an icecream bike

http://www.worldsbesthotdogcarts.com/images/ice-bike_side.jpg

This is a SUPER SUPER UGLY one. the Dicky-Dee bikes are very nice looking. I haven't seen one in this neighbourhood of ottawa, but I'm sure their are some Dicky-Dee's in Ottawa, but I know for fact they are back in Smiths Falls (about an hr south)

HoRsELUvR
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Ummmmm...We have geese.Lots of geese.And we have geese crossing signs and every stops on the major roads to let the geese cross.

ChrisH
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
This is what we have ...
'Talking' CCTV cameras (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/3939095.stm) !!
... does anyone else?!

Chris

slick
08-03-2004, 02:59 PM
We've got Mr. Tubesteak!!!! He's like the ice cream cart but he sells hot dogs and smokies, etc. You can load them up with all the condiments you want, you know, all that stuff that makes your butt scream! :D :D

Chris: that's what we need here for downtown Vancouver. Great idea!

Amber
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Amber, I've been to Grand Lake St. Marys (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/grndlake.htm) a few times. Is that where you live? I thought it was a very cool place! :)

Really? Thats so cool! Yep, I live there, I live by the lake kinda too, like a couple roads away.

I thougt of something else...we also have the ice cream truck come around, and we have people who sell vegetables off the road, and BBQ chicken sometimes. :)

HoRsELUvR- We also have geese that swim around and stay around the lake area. We also have some hawks & blue herons, very pretty birds.