PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn Machines

Tonya
07-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I was just sitting here, eating a bag of popcorn and I remembered. Remember those popcorn machines back in the 80's? We had one. Do people still have those? OR does everyone just get the microwave bag type?

Aspen and Misty
07-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I know what your talkin about!! My mom has one!

She LOOOVES to make popcorn with it!

Ashley

cali
07-30-2004, 05:26 PM
we used to have one, my dad took it with him :p I personally like micromave popcorn better lol

KYS
07-30-2004, 05:39 PM
I was trying to think real hard and was drawing a blank.
I remeber Jiffy pop and I remember a stove top method
using a metal pot/lid with something that moves inside of it.

I use the micro myself now too.

trayi52
07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
I remember those machines, and I remember Jiffy Pop. I kind of like the microwave popcorn best though.

My granddaughter likes to get the bags of popcorn and do it the old way, pop it on the stove. Just shake that pan, and pretty soon, we have popcorn! I think she likes doing that because it is something we can do together. It is fun!

Willie:)

Shelteez2
07-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Yep we have a hot air popper. I will always have one, I prefer air popped popcorn over chemically enhanced microwave popcorn.

Logan
07-30-2004, 05:59 PM
We had one of those popcorn machines where you added oil and popcorn at one time, then everyone got healthy and we had an air pop machine. I hated it!

To this day, I rarely eat popcorn, but the movie kind is my favorite with lots of butter (which is why I rarely eat it :o ).

Logan

wolfie
07-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Yep we have a hot air popper. I will always have one, I prefer air popped popcorn over chemically enhanced microwave popcorn.

lol, same here. We bought ours less than a year ago, so they must still make them.

catnapper
07-30-2004, 07:36 PM
We had one!! My brother and I made popcorn everyday afterschool. I emeber it has this little dish where you put butter in it, and as the popcorn popped the butter was supposed to melt from the heat of the machine. I could have left the dang thing on all night and the butter would have remained a solid block! It NEVER melted! :D So we nuked the butter. :D :D

The only thing that was better about it was you didn't have that awful mcirowave popcorn smell!

Tonya
07-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Haha! I found it on EBAY!

http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/29/5c/48_1.JPG

Doggirl
07-30-2004, 08:57 PM
We have one of those!!! Up 'til a few weeks ago I had never even USED a Microwave :eek:. I prefere my hot air popper to microwave popping.

carole
07-30-2004, 08:57 PM
We still sell Popcorn machines, Breville put out a good one, I am hoping to buy one soon, I have tried microwave popcorn, but it always seems to burn , no matter how good I am at following the instructions, well some of it burns, I think air-popped popcorn would be much nicer, has anyone tried the Mother Earth air-popped popcorn?

popcornbird
07-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by carole
We still sell Popcorn machines, Breville put out a good one, I am hoping to buy one soon, I have tried microwave popcorn, but it always seems to burn , no matter how good I am at following the instructions, well some of it burns, I think air-popped popcorn would be much nicer, has anyone tried the Mother Earth air-popped popcorn?

Doesn't your microwave have a *Popcorn* button? We just put it in the microwave and press the *popcorn* button, and it turns out perfect. We have always popped them in the microwave, even when everyone else used popcorn machines. :p Popcorn and Muffin *love* popcorn too, but we always make their's un-salted and butter-free.

carole
07-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Nope PCB I have never ever seen one here with that function, but after all this is little Aotearoa you know.

Cookiebaker
07-30-2004, 09:42 PM
MUST ... GO... MAKE ... POPCORN ... RIGHT ... NOW!!!

:D

Sweet Sixy
07-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I LOVE hot air popcorn. I could eat that every day. We have a really old hor air popper and a rather new one, thats how much it gets used in our house. My favorite popcorn though is from "the popcorn truck" This truck has been restored and the popcorn from it is amazing, and is still just 25 cents for a bag!

http://www.elmira-ny.com/popcorn/index.shtml

If that doesn't work, go to google and type in The Popcorn Truck Elmira and the first link tells about it. Its one of the cool things in this little town!:D

Tonya
07-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Wow! A popcorn truck! That sounds like the coolest thing!

kingrattus
07-31-2004, 03:46 PM
I have a popcorn maker thats WAY older then me. All the stuff my dad gave me was during his college years & the popcorn popper was one of them & its in great shape :D

Its n the garage right now , but when we move out next august (maybe sooner) I'll start using it again.. its cheaper & better :D

wabbitwuver
08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I like corn on the cob flavored popcorn in the microwave at my Nanny's! LOL! corn falovered haha

anna_66
08-30-2004, 03:45 PM
We do have a hot air popper but I prefer the taste of the microwave popcorn (so many different flavors now!).

DJFyrewolf36
08-30-2004, 04:41 PM
I like the cheese popcorn that comes out in the big tins around the holidays! Mmmmmmm tasty! (If the dogs don't steal it all, they love it too!)

My mom had an air popper. Great popcorn till it caught on fire :eek: ! Mom swore from then on to only use the microwave lol.

MariaM
08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
We have a machine one, and I use it the most. I had popcorn, from my friend's machine, on Saturday night. I make it whenever I feel like a snack or am watching a movie haha. I personally prefer microwave popcorn, but my mom won't buy it.

Karen
08-30-2004, 07:48 PM
You can have non-chemically enhanced popcorn from the microwave, you know! Just take some plain popcorn, put a handful or so in a paper (must be paper!) lunchbag, and fold the end shut. Then microwave until you hear the popping start to slow down (3 minutes or so in mine). It's hot, fresh and good! You can then add all the butter, cheese, salt, whatever you want, or eat it plain. It's faster and cleaner than any other method I know!

NoahsMommy
08-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Mmmmm, I love microwave popcorn (Butter Lite)....yummy!!

PCB, we have that popcorn button too. Its wonderful and is NEVER burnt. I love it!!

wolf_Q
08-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah we have one...it basically just takes up space, I haven't seen it used in years.

I remember one Easter we hid real eggs and somebody hid one in that. We didn't find it until months later! :o

popcornbird
08-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Karen
You can have non-chemically enhanced popcorn from the microwave, you know! Just take some plain popcorn, put a handful or so in a paper (must be paper!) lunchbag, and fold the end shut. Then microwave until you hear the popping start to slow down (3 minutes or so in mine). It's hot, fresh and good! You can then add all the butter, cheese, salt, whatever you want, or eat it plain. It's faster and cleaner than any other method I know!

It doesn't have to be in paper. ;) We usually do it in a pyrex glass bowl. We have this *microwave cover*, which is a cover you put over whatever you are heating in the microwave. If we put fresh un-popped popcorn *seeds* in a glass pyrex bowl, and cover it with the microwave cover (which has a small hole in it), the popcorn turns out perfect. We never buy the packed butter popcorn....always make it fresh, and in the microwave. :D Then if we want, we add butter and salt, but we usually make it for the birds, and in that case, we add nothing. Its actually pretty good without the butter and salt too....and much more healthy.