PDA

View Full Version : Josie Sees A CAT for the FIRST TIME! (PIC)

christa
07-30-2004, 11:23 AM
OK . . . I'm so sad now! This morning, I went to Josie's window to pat her little head . . . I saw this cat walking down the sidewalk . . . so I pecked on the window to get it's attention. It saw Josie and sat down and just stared into the window for like 10 minutes. I THINK this is the first time Josie's seen a cat, since she was taken from the shelter. (She's STRICTLY an indoor cat) Anyway, she immediately began to purr, she started scratching at the window . . . I could hear her breathing, so hard! At first I thought she was hissing, but I realized she wasn't, she was just breathing really hard!!!

I'm so sad because I realize that she needs another cat to live with, but we just can't afford one right now and really don't have the room.

I did get a chance to grab my camera & capture the moment.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p48b3e12990c0f3c42f705ace22ba3a81/f7a2a099.jpg

Barbara
07-30-2004, 11:30 AM
That's heartbreaking. You know: two cats is twice the fun but not double the trouble:)

Scritchies to Josie:)

christa
07-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
. . . . but not double the trouble:)

Really??? I'm really starting to consider it . . . She's still young, it would be so easy to introduce a new cat.

kitten645
07-30-2004, 11:40 AM
two are no more trouble/cost than one. I've only ever had two and they have always been really bonded and I feel better knowing they have each other to entertain and share fears with each other. During the 89 quake here in SF, I finally walked home (about 10 miles) and found both my boys under the kitchen table (amid much rubble) hugging each other. Broke my heart but I can't imagine what would have happened if there was one.
Claudia

kimlovescats
07-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Too precious... and that one outside looks like he/she really wants to come in!!! YES, I would definitely get Josie a cuddle buddy!!!!;) :D

chrangharris
07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Josie does need a buddy and the other cat looked so longingly at her!

christa
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Too precious... and that one outside looks like he/she really wants to come in!!! YES, I would definitely get Josie a cuddle buddy!!!!;) :D

lol . . . I thought about inviting it in . . . but seriously, I think I know where that cat lives. I see it all the time playing in the yard down the street.

QUESTION: IF (stress the IF) I were to get another, would you suggest that it should be the same age as Josie, older, or younger?

catlover4ever
07-30-2004, 11:54 AM
That photo is perfect. I love the 2 perspectives...the kitty on the outside looking from a distance and the back of Josie's head looking out the window at her new friend.

lizzielou742
07-30-2004, 12:06 PM
I would go with younger, so it gets used to living with Josie easier. Maybe rescue a male kitten from a local kill shelter (as long as both are fixed)?

How exciting!!

I started out with one, then got another four months later - I'm so glad I did!

DJFyrewolf36
07-30-2004, 12:16 PM
That photo is such a clasic! Wonderful!

I've been thinking about getting a buddy for Remus too...my roomate is thinking about going to PetSmart adoptions and adopting a big black boy. Mellow as all get out though! *If he doesn't adopt him, I think I just might ;)*

christa
07-30-2004, 12:20 PM
You all are really starting to convince me . . . I just don't know what to do though.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-30-2004, 12:38 PM
I agree that two are definitely no more trouble than one, but they are twice the enjoyment. I vote for a friend for Josie!

I think any age would be fine, but if you went with older it should be an easy going cat that is used to getting along with other cats. I know kittens usually are welcomed in pretty easily, but there's no strict guidelines. If/when you start looking, whichever kitty picks you is the one to get. :)

Barbara
07-30-2004, 12:41 PM
I think with a younger one the probability is higher that it works out. Josie being young enough it shouldn't be a problem. :)

nibblets
07-30-2004, 01:01 PM
That is a fantastic photo..I just love it!
I think Josie would love a playmate. Just think, you would be helping a kitty in need of a home as well as giving Josie a little companion.
I would like to get another kitty, but for right now the cat/dog combo is working well.

Tonya
07-30-2004, 01:55 PM
That photo is great! I think that you should get Josie a playmate. I have two cats, and it seriously isn't more trouble. They eat out of the same bowl and use the same litter box.

CatMama78
07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Aww Josie, who is that outside?

I also have two and it is a great comfort to know they have each other during the day when me and my fiance are gone (even if they are fighting half the time :)). It's play fighting, the kind I cannot provide them. The only increased expense is the annual vet trip. But food, litter box, toys etc, they all share. It's really worth it!!

Equus217
07-30-2004, 02:32 PM
I too vote for a friend for Josie! I adopted my two troublemakers together a couple of months ago, and this is the first time I have had more than one cat at a time. Really, the cost difference isn't significant.....just vet bills. But if you adopt from a shelter *wink wink* they cover spay/neuter and initial vaccs. I really can't imagine not having the two together....they are absolutely inseperable! I think probably going younger would be easier, unless the shelter tells you there is a certain older kitty that just adores other cats.

It sure looks like Josie would like a furry friend though!!
Such a pretty girl!!:D

jazzcat
07-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Awww, look at that picture. Josie does need a buddy. I think the fact that she was purring and not switching her tail and getting riled is an excellent sign that she would love a buddy.

I would go with close in age or younger. If you went with younger, as in a kitten, the intros would probably be a little easier.

I have to agree, having three has been no more trouble than just one and I had Ripley for 10 years before I got another cat so I really would notice the difference. All I see is a little more cat hair, I have to clean the littler boxes a little more frequently, but still just once a day, and there is always someone available to pet or play with when I'm ready!:D The cost increase in cat food isn't that much and since they are inside we don't have lots of vet visits needed.

Oh please really consider it. You'll be saving a life if you adopt from a shelter or rescue and trust me, it will be worth it!!!!

mruffruff
07-30-2004, 02:58 PM
I thought that more than 2 or three would be a problem, but now that I have seven (!!) I hardly notice the difference. A couple extra litter boxes and another bag of food is small payment for all the entertainment.

Josie will love a companion. Go for it!

Mary

christa
07-30-2004, 03:06 PM
I think I'm just a little scared of getting another one . . . now that I've got Josie in perfect health . . . when we adopted her from a shelter, she had so many problems. Intestinal parasites (which she's still on a special diet), FLEAS (and lots of 'em), and worms. I had so many vet bills, I thought we were gonna have to start eating dirt. So I guess I'm a little leery about adopting from another shelter. But maybe it was just that shelter, or just her litter???

You all are so convincing . . . if I knew I could find one in good health . . . annual visits wouldn't be a problem financially. It's all that special stuff that we can't afford right now.

jazzcat
07-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Maybe you should look into a rescue group that fosters, you know like Jen does. That way you know the health of the cat and it seems most in foster homes are already healthy and flea and parasite free. Plus the foster mom can tell you about their personality and behavior so you will make a good match for Josie. Just something to consider.

I understand your fear about the shelter. The shelter I adopted both Jazz and Scout from tends to be extremely overpopulated and even though they may have treated the cats for fleas and other things when they first came in by the time I adopted them they were infested again. Jazz came to us so sick with fleas, tapeworms, ear mites, ringworm and a URI that I was terrified I'd have to go through it again with Scout but luckily she just had fleas and earmites. Whenever I adopt again I'm planning to go through a local rescue group who only houses the cats in foster homes, I think.

Equus217
07-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Maybe you should look into a rescue group that fosters, you know like Jen does. That way you know the health of the cat and it seems most in foster homes are already healthy and flea and parasite free. Plus the foster mom can tell you about their personality and behavior so you will make a good match for Josie. Just something to consider.

I think that's a great idea jazzcat.....Vegas and Reno were pretty sick when I adopted them, but that's why I took them. But matching personalities would be much easier!

mruffruff
07-30-2004, 03:20 PM
All of mine were trapped right on my street. They each cost about $135 for all the medical care----spay or neuter, shots, de-fleaing, and a couple had abcesses. After a year, 2 developed UTI's. Fortunately, not at the same time.

If you adopt from a shelter (Please do!) the cat should have been seen by a vet before adoption. Their health isn't guaranteed, but the shelter should have some idea if the cat is relatively healthy. An older kitten or cat would have more history to go by.

Good luck!

Mary

christa
07-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Maybe you should look into a rescue group that fosters . . .

Jazzcat: I think this is ideal for us. There is actually a shelter not too far from where we live that puts their animals with fosters. That is probably where we would adopt from this time.

I've got a lot of thinking to do.

CatMama78
07-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Also, I know the no-kill shelter we went to, pays for all the things needed to get them healthy. Like if they came in with ear mites, they will clean those right up and they are up to date on shots, etc.

Edwina's Secretary
07-30-2004, 04:03 PM
What a touching photograph! Makes me think of "The Little Match Girl!"

I wish we had gotten a second kitty earlier. Pettalk convinced me to do so.

christa
07-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Pettalk convinced me to do so.

They're good at that! :D :D :D

rg_girlca
07-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Awww that picture is absolutely adorable.
I agree with the others Christa, on getting a companion for your sweet Josie. It doesn't have to be tomorrow, or the next day, or even a month from now. When you feel the time is right, then you can decide when and where to get one.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:D
But when you go to sleep tonight, just repeat after me; must get a friend for Josie, must get a friend for Josie.
No pressure here Christa. Nope none at all.:D

christa
07-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Awww that picture is absolutely adorable.
I agree with the others Christa, on getting a companion for your sweet Josie. It doesn't have to be tomorrow, or the next day, or even a month from now. When you feel the time is right, then you can decide when and where to get one.
But when you go to sleep tonight, just repeat after me; must get a friend for Josie, must get a friend for Josie.

You crack me up, rg.

But seriously, I've always thought that if I found one "accidently", like on my door step or something, I'd get it. I'm definitely going to take it slow. I do want a companion for Josie, but I'm not sure about the timing. Maybe in the next few months.

But believe me . . . this morning, I had no intentions of doing this . . . ALL YOU PETTALKERS HAVE CONVINCED ME! I know Josie needs a companion and will definitely be keeping my eyes open.

sirrahbed
07-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/1.gifThis SO reminds me of last December when I mentioned that I was *thinking* about getting myself an orangie!! No pressure...RIGHT!

Seriously though - I have always had at least two cats. You have had the same advice I would offer as far as considering a younger or similar age cat and only shelter cats who have been fostered in homes. Folks are going to be careful about the health and flea, parasites, etc when they keep pets in their homes and like others have said - you can talk to the mom and get an idea of the kittie's personality, etc. If the kitty is not already altered, most places will refund a portion or all of the cost to have it done. Most already have their vaccinations and have been wormed, vet checked, etc. You are more likely to get a healthy kitty from a foster home. No hurry - you will know!!:D
Now, repeat after me.....:cool:

catcrazylady
07-30-2004, 08:15 PM
OMG!!! Where have I been! Christa....GO FOR IT!! You may have a rough few days but soon you will wonder what you did with out the new kitty!!
Our shelter here comes with insurance for three months (I think) I would have to double check the amount of time. You can get your cat vetted at the shelter for free or they will pay so much of a vet of your choosing. That would cover anything that popped up in the beginning. When you look at your local shelter kitty pictures it should say if they have insurance or not. A lot of shelters are offering this now.

Once the kitties adjust to each other then you will have so many smiling and all out laughter times. Then there will the touching and tender moments. You won't be sorry Christa! Especially if its a younger cat. I think those tend to go easier.

I'm going to check more into this insurance and get back with you!
btw-I have three adorable babies on the porch that need a home!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

catcrazylady
07-30-2004, 08:22 PM
I checked Petfinder and that offers regular pet insurance. Our shelter will take any pet that gets sick back and treat it until it is well and then return it to the new owner. I know they give medications and and vet care if anything goes wrong soon after the adoption. Maybe you just ask your local shelter if they will do that.

Or...you could come get one of my porch kitties!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif
(I hope you know I'm just teasing you!)

catnapper
07-30-2004, 09:17 PM
What a seriously precious photo! I seemed to have missed a whole lot, and am really really tired, so sifting through all the replies isn;t for me right now... but I see that you've decided to get a second kitty! Yippie! Thats the best thing we ever did and honestly, its not that much more money.

christa
07-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
... but I see that you've decided to get a second kitty!

Well, that's not exactly set in stone. We're THINKING about it.

christa
07-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Or...you could come get one of my porch kitties!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif
(I hope you know I'm just teasing you!)

Where exactly do you live? (what city?) I'm sure I've asked before. Just wondering. We just moved to Ashland.

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2004, 12:58 AM
I agree with the others in that it would be great to get Josie a brother or sister.:) I would try to get a younger cat or one close to her age. I've also found that male cats tend to be more easy going and usually do better in multiple cat households. Good luck and please keep us updated.:D

Killearn Kitties
07-31-2004, 03:53 AM
What a lovely photo!
I'm sure Josie would love a playment. ;)

catcrazylady
07-31-2004, 07:12 AM
Christa we live in Shelbyville. We are about 25 miles outside of Louisville. We are sort of stuck right in the middle of Louisville and Frankfort.
I still think you would be happy once you did it and unless you ended up with a very sick kitty I don't think you would notice much financial difference at all. They don't eat that much more than one. Since I added mine two and three at a time I can honestly tell you I really didn't see that much of a difference since it happened slowly.
It is just my personal opinion but cats are social creatures for the most part and I think they need company. Now there are the exceptions that need to be the only cat but I think that usually happens because they were always alone and as they got older they didn't know how to relate to another kitty.
Of course you always take the risk that a kitty can develop some sort of problem that could lead to lots of vet bills but that is totally unpredictable and not common.
It is a responsibility and I'm glad you are taking it serious before you make the decision. It is a commitment for the lifetime of the kitty.
We support you no matter what you decide to do.

stacwase
07-31-2004, 08:30 AM
That's really a very artistic picture. I just love it.

catmandu
07-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Actaully another Cat,would keep Josie,from getting bored,and all Creatures,do want,one of thier own,to bond with!

christa
07-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
It is a responsibility and I'm glad you are taking it serious before you make the decision. It is a commitment for the lifetime of the kitty.
We support you no matter what you decide to do.

Thanks for that! Not that I was being pressured at all, but you made me go back to how I was originally thinking . . . take it slow, make sure everything is perfect and when the time comes . . . anyway, thanks for reminding me that I'm doing this right.