PDA

View Full Version : Work Cats

K & L
07-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi All
I've been pretty busy these days, but wanted to share with you some of the success we've had with trapping here where I work. I've been maintaining the feeding stations and so far have trapped 5 cats. I'm not sure of the number of cats or all their locations, so this is going to be a slow process. Here's what we've gotten so far:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p93d66f8c9b500efe9d08eebe48b886f0/f7a4143c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p7d4a80e6dbd9c54793bb00edc5d4c161/f7a41536.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p6ed14041b6812e99d8cd223afb43011c/f7a415db.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pca35dc08a48b37d2559e6fe7428b1ccd/f7a416df.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p74f7d7fcb454914c4a8e200489766f27/f7a417e4.jpg

Tonya
07-30-2004, 09:47 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how many beautiful cats are out there homeless. You are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

DJFyrewolf36
07-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
It never ceases to amaze me how many beautiful cats are out there homeless. You are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

I wish I could say more, but you summed it up Tonya! Great job and great pics!

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh, all those babies look so scared. I know that they will be so much better off under your care. Don't you just wish you could explain that to them, though? :)

Grace
07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Those poor creatures - the terror in their eyes. Too bad they don't know this is the beginning of a better life.

K & L
07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
Oh, all those babies look so scared. I know that they will be so much better off under your care. Don't you just wish you could explain that to them, though? :)

Yes I do! They've all been spayed/neutered - 2 females, 3 male and have been released back here at work (in their familiar environment). Now they won't reproduce, will be fed/watered by me, and should be able to live a better life!!:D

smokey the elder
07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Poor babies! At least that part of the kitten pipeline is dried up. Good job!

catlover4ever
07-30-2004, 10:23 AM
You never cease to amaze me with all the hard work and determination that you have. Those babies do look so scared but I really think all the cats out there that are scared but are looked after by someone as caring as you...deep down in their hearts and in the back of their minds they know that you are a kind, good hearted person and they probally feel a little safer than they did before.

Keep up the good work.

slick
07-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Congratulations K&L! I admire you for all the work you do in saving these babies. Are any of them tame enough to be adopted out or are they all feral?

K & L
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by slick
Congratulations K&L! I admire you for all the work you do in saving these babies. Are any of them tame enough to be adopted out or are they all feral?

They were all feral! The black & white female was the least feral, but still not tame enough for a no-kill shelter to take her in. If any had been tame, or young enough to socialize, we would've turned the tame ones over to AAWL www.aawl.org and fostered the young ones until adoptable.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-30-2004, 12:13 PM
What a great job you do! I love the little blackie with the tufty ears and the blue eyed one.

So, between the park cats and now the cats at work and your own at home, just how many cats do you feed everyday? :eek:

K & L
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
What a great job you do! I love the little blackie with the tufty ears and the blue eyed one.

So, between the park cats and now the cats at work and your own at home, just how many cats do you feed everyday? :eek:

Between 60 - 70 cats!:eek: :eek: :eek: I love the black & white female, and if we didn't have 20 already, I would've worked with this one!

Barbara
07-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I admire you for all that work. I know that we cannot solve the problem by taking all the homeless in but what you do really makes a difference.

And I hope those poor scary cats know it.

nibblets
07-30-2004, 01:04 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p6ed14041b6812e99d8cd223afb43011c/f7a415db.jpg
This one is very pretty! I love the coloring and the blue eyes.

Catsnclay
07-30-2004, 01:37 PM
I've been wondering where you have been??:confused: :confused: Its not like you to go for a long while without posting here.

I know you have been really busy getting this TNR off the ground at work, and I'm happy to see that it is working well.

I just love those kitties, when are you trapping again??

K & L
07-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
I've been wondering where you have been??:confused: :confused: Its not like you to go for a long while without posting here.

I know you have been really busy getting this TNR off the ground at work, and I'm happy to see that it is working well.

I just love those kitties, when are you trapping again??

Thanks for missing me!! We decided to wait until September since it is so "hot" here right now. Cats aren't coming out till way late and makes for a rather long evening. We finally left the traps out overnight (the area is heavily secured) and that's how we ended up with the 5. We were here on site until 10:30 - 11:00 p.m. and had not seen ONE cat. So we're figuring when weather cools down it will be better.

sasvermont
07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
I just don't get it either. How can people be so irresponsible? I guess when you get the numbers multiplying like crazy, it isn't hard to find the bottom line number. There are oh so many responsible people / pet owners but obviously there are many who are NOT!

Thank you for all of your hard work .... I am sure it will be a problem forever......

SAS:eek:

K & L
07-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
I just don't get it either. How can people be so irresponsible? I guess when you get the numbers multiplying like crazy, it isn't hard to find the bottom line number. There are oh so many responsible people / pet owners but obviously there are many who are NOT!

Thank you for all of your hard work .... I am sure it will be a problem forever......

SAS:eek:

All it takes is one unaltered female to have a litter of 6, and next thing you know you have dozens! Rescuing can be very aggravating, but it also has it rewards!! We've been caring for our colony at the park for over 5 years now, and still maintain a count of around 35 originals (when we first started TNRing there). Usually a ferals life span is around 1 - 2 years.

CatMama78
07-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by K & L
Usually a ferals life span is around 1 - 2 years.

:( :( :(

That's really, really sad. Poor guys and gals.

All those kitties look so scared and that's so sad, but it's good to know, you guys are doing the best you can for them by neutering and feeding them. At least they have a full belly and people who care for them.

K & L
07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CatMama78
:( :( :(

That's really, really sad. Poor guys and gals.

All those kitties look so scared and that's so sad, but it's good to know, you guys are doing the best you can for them by neutering and feeding them. At least they have a full belly and people who care for them.

Yes it is sad, but with the elements of traffic, weather, mean people, and starving they don't have much chances. At least with TNRing it's preventing anymore being born in this type of life! We love our ferals like we love our house cats and wish we could bring everyone of them home!:(

jenluckenbach
07-30-2004, 03:21 PM
if we didn't have 20 already
AHEM !! **cough** Um, when did the number get to 20 ?!? ;)

I found it hard to look at the fear in their eyes. It makes me so sad to see those poor kitties who don't know what it is like to have a touch of a human that loves them. :(

K & L
07-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
AHEM !! **cough** Um, when did the number get to 20 ?!? ;)

I found it hard to look at the fear in their eyes. It makes me so sad to see those poor kitties who don't know what it is like to have a touch of a human that loves them. :(

Avon was 19 and Hazel made an even 20!!:D

Trapping is NOT my favorite thing to do, but a necessary one. We always hate the trauma it causes to them.

rg_girlca
07-30-2004, 06:09 PM
Yes, it also breaks my heart to see their poor frightened little faces but K & L, you do so much to help make a better life for these precious ones.
I admire you for the wonderful work that you do.

sirrahbed
07-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by K & L
Usually a ferals life span is around 1 - 2 years.

WOW! I had no idea about THAT statistic!! My three need another lecture about how good they have it!!:eek: 1-2 YEARS???

catcrazylady
07-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Oh Lisa it is so heartbreaking and yet so touching at the same time. the fear and terror in their eyes makes me want to cry but to know that in a few days they will be back to their own territory and feeling much better makes the heartache better. No more raging hormones creating the constant need to fight and no more pitiful babies fighting to be the strongest to survive. Full bellies and caring humans can make such a difference in their lives.
You and your hubby are so very special. Words can't express the kindness and great work that you do. TNR is not easy because you really want to save them all and you know that life will still be hard for them but better than before. It's such a sad thing but a lot of these ferals would never make good house kitties and what you do makes a tremendous difference. A great big huge THANK YOU and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} is all I have to offer but I sure do send them to you!!!

catmandu
07-31-2004, 08:40 AM
That is heart breaking,that those Poor Beautiful Cats,are homeless,through no fault,of thier own.May the Lord Bless,and Protect those Poor Little Faces!