PDA

View Full Version : Do you jog with your dog?

Amber
07-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Do any of you jog with your dog? I'm thinking about jogging with Elvis now since he is bigger now.

if so, how long do you go?

GoldenRetrLuver
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Yes. :D

I've been jogging with Daisy for maybe a half an hour every few days. I need to really start doing it again.

Tonya
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
I've tried a few times. My dogs behave well on leash when I am walking, but something about running gets them all hyper. When I jog with them, they want to weave back and forth, so they trip me.

Toller 42
07-28-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't jog but i know some people that do. they usually go for 15-45 minutes everyday.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Sometimes, but I should do it more often.:)

Amber
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Cool to see people who do it.

Does anyone with small dogs do it?

Toller 42
07-28-2004, 04:34 PM
my mom jogs with my Doxie, she usually go's for about 20 minutes
everyday.

binka_nugget
07-28-2004, 04:34 PM
I've attempted a couple times.. :p I really felt good after but I was SO tired. I'm way out of shape but I try to run when I'm not lazy..LOL (not very often actually).

When I do jog, I go for 15 minutes max. (Hey! I said I was out of shape LOL)

primabella
07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
We don't jog off leash but we run in the backyard a lot and when I take him to the park we play TAG, which I guess could be like jogging. :p

DogLover9501
07-28-2004, 04:51 PM
I can't jog because my foot always hurts

But my mom jogs with Piddle sometimes, and he's small ;), he gets really excited and kinda flops along, not exactly running, but walking fast type thing

ParNone
07-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Murph and I use to jog 2 miles everyday, when we were both young and peppy. :)

My laziness gets in the way of jogging with Oz. I really should jog with him everyday. He's the perfect jogging partner. He's actually better jogging, then walking. If we're walking, he's weaving and circling, but if we're jogging, he automatically falls in right beside and matches my pace. I think agility had some influence on that.

Par...

Shelteez2
07-28-2004, 11:40 PM
I don't jog with my dogs, but I should. I need the exercise... LOL

Be careful jogging with Elvis as he is still growing. Just go short distances. You want to make sure his growth plates are closed before you do any serious jogging. Most sites I've read suggest waiting until the dog is 2 years of age, but they are usually referring to larger breeds that mature slower. :)

Amber
07-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah. We wouldn't go for a long time. I couldn't last running! Lol

Maybe up and down the block for a start maybe

anna_66
07-29-2004, 08:33 AM
But we do bikeride:D

cloverfdx
07-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Not as often as i should ;), but if i am feeling active we will jog around the park for a bit (10 mins max) but the dogs are offlead and pick their own pace which is usualy infront of me or running circles around me. :D

When my Elvis is fully grown and we start training for our Endurance Test we will jog most days (the test is 20 Kilometres or biking or jogging with your dog).

swimma253
07-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Yes... Meeka jogs 3 miles every day with me... because she is a sled dog she LOVES to run!

edit*** every other day

Samantha Puppy
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Two words: HELL. NO.

Number 1, I hate running/jogging. Plus I have a tumor in the base of my spine that doesn't really allow me to do it much anyway because my right leg gets extremely fatigued very easily.

Number 2, Samantha isn't the greatest on a leash when we're walking so I can't imagine how she'd be if we tried running. When you run in the house or out in the fenced portion of the yard, she gets excited and jumps on you so I'm imagining that's probably how trying to take her on a jog would be. :o

Rhodie
07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Yep! I try to make it a daily routine but Simba is a little more strict about that than me.;) He's ready to go every morning the second I get up, but I take a little more convincing than that. lol.

We usually go for about 2-3 miles. We'll jog to a park about 1 miles from us and than jog back. Sometimes we'll go a little bit farther to the marsh and let Sim play around a little bit before we head back, but that's only on the days I have energy. lol. If it was up to Simmy we'd go for hours, but I don't have that kind of motivation.:p