PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever consider having Cosmetic surgery...

carole
07-28-2004, 04:09 PM
I thought with all the programmes such as The Swan, Extreme Make-overs this might be a good question to ask and start a thread on.

I have always said I would NEVER EVER consider Cosmetic surgery, one I am too scared for one, of the pain and having an operation of any kind, but I have to say after watching all these shows and seeing the amazing results, one does feel tempted, of course I donot have the money and never will, but if I were filthy rich, I might just go and have some done, now that I am in my late forties, for those of you in that bracket, you know that things start not to look so good anymore.

So would you ever consider it? and if so what would you elect to have done?

Did you know that the US Military pays for elective cosmetic surgery, and that you the taxpayer are funding this, I just heard this on our Breakfast show from an american woman, they believe this will also help in recruitment,GEEZ!! unbelievable.

aly
07-28-2004, 04:13 PM
I personally hate The Swan and Extreme Makeover. Its terrible. Beauty comes from the inside and I could never change how I look through any sort of surgery. I feel sorry for the poor women who go on those shows. I think the producers are sick, sick people.

binka_nugget
07-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Nothing major but I'd do anything to have my teeth whitened or maybe get veneers. I hate my smile. I guess that's the only thing I'd change.

primabella
07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by aly
I personally hate The Swan and Extreme Makeover. Its terrible. Beauty comes from the inside and I could never change how I look through any sort of surgery. I feel sorry for the poor women who go on those shows. I think the producers are sick, sick people.

I totally agree. I am against cosmetic surjery of any kind unless it is to help with medical problems (my cousins had to get nose jobs because they were having problems breathing which led to migraines) or something that makes someone really self-consious about themselves. Like, I've heard about one girl who had a large nose and she was ashamed to be seen in public so she got a nose job. When it intervens with your life.. then I say go for it. But to just get a new look -- Nuh-uh.

I don't know, I just don't see why people can't like themselves how they look. I used to hate how I looked and I've learned to accept it.

Edited to add: I guess I should clarify and put it simply in one sentence.. I really dislike it when people get make-overs or work done when the reason is vanity. And to answer the original question.. as of now, nope.

carole
07-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Aly I agree with you , beauty is within, and I think the swan is putting out a very bad mesage to women, even after these women have all this done, only one is chosen, so they are still made to feel like a loser.

I disagree slighty with extreme makeover- this is not a contest, and frankly I can sympathise with some of these people who wanted the surgery done, some of their teeth were just the pits, and they were in bad need of treatment, the other bits and pieces done were perhaps not so necessary.

Each to their own, I believe if having surgery makes you feel good about yourself, uplifts your self esteem and you are prepared to go ahead , then why not, you are not harming anyone, its not necessarily vanity.

BTW did you know since the screening of these programmes plastic surgeons in NZ are getting much more work than before, I watched EXPOSE last night which was about Breast reduction, this is a different situation again, and I for one can understand why these women would choose to have this surgery, even though it is pretty dangerous, they have so many health problems, its a blessing that they can have this procedure undertaken.

Amber
07-28-2004, 04:28 PM
I like the way I am, so I wouldn't do nothing to me.

and I agree Aly!

Tonya
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Funny you say...Mike and I were just laughing at this woman in San Fransisco. Her husband appeared to be in his mid 60's, her daughter appeared to be in her 30's, and then the woman...she *sort of* appeared to be in her late 30's. BUT, her eyebrows were so frozen and so high it was ridiculous. She had those big movie star glasses on and her eyebrows were still a good 1-2 inches above her glasses. I think she had one to many face lifts. And her lips were so poofy from collagen that she looked like she had been beat up. Her face was totally expressionless. You could see scaring behind her ears.

Anyways, yes, I would consider having cosmetic surgery. In fact I already have a consultation April 21 2005 and surgery scheduled for June 2005. My entire family has been plagued with breast cancer on both sides. My mother's side of the family (including myself) have such dense breast tissue that mammograms do not work well. I have already had a few benign lumps removed from my breast which puts me at a higher risk. My grandmother and my mother has already had a masectomy and has had her breasts replaced with implants. Insurance payed for most of it. After the baby is born, and I am doing the same.

carole
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
It is very positive to hear you all say how happy you are with yourselfs, the only thing I can say is you are all young, you may feel a bit different when you are older, now I am not saying i would ever have anything done, I am such a scaredy cat, I would be terrified of having a necessary operation, but I can't say i don't feel tempted some days.

carole
07-28-2004, 04:37 PM
OMG Tonya I never realised you had all this to go through, your's is not elective surgery , but necessary, you are an extremely brave young woman, I have BC in my family too, last year mum had it, but I am not in the same position as you, and I would be terrified, but I understand why you would choose this option.

We will all be here for you when the time comes, meantime HUGS girl, thanks for sharing this with us, it really makes one think.

dukedogsmom
07-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I would have it in a heartbeat if I had the money. I'd get a complete overhaul. But, I wouldn't let it change the way I acted, except maybe a lot happier.

aly
07-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I just wanted to clarify that I think if the surgery is done for health reasons, then thats a different story.

Tonya
07-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by carole
OMG Tonya I never realised you had all this to go through, your's is not elective surgery , but necessary, you are an extremely brave young woman, I have BC in my family too, last year mum had it, but I am not in the same position as you, and I would be terrified, but I understand why you would choose this option.

We will all be here for you when the time comes, meantime HUGS girl, thanks for sharing this with us, it really makes one think.

Don't feel sorry for me...I'm kind of looking forward to it. probably would have considered it anyways, but would be to chicken and couldn't justify spending that much money. But now, I have more reason to do it. Which, BTW, my mom was able to get hers covered, but I doubt Kaiser will cover mine. I'm lucky they even cover anything!

Tonya
07-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by aly
I just wanted to clarify that I think if the surgery is done for health reasons, then thats a different story.

If I had alot of time and money, I would consider it when I started aging. But I will never have time and money to throw away, so I'll just grow old gracefully. :D

carole
07-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I think perhaps a lot of us ladies on the more mature side might consider it, Like I said before I would have sweared on the Bible I would never ever have such a thing, and always considered people who had it done simply vain, but I have changed my opinions now, maybe it is because when I look in the mirror some days I don't always like what I see nowadays.

If I had the money and the courage, I would have my eyelids lifted, they have become very heavy as I have aged, I used to have big Hazel eyes, I miss that, I would have a chin-lift, and a tummy tuck, I would probably be happy with that, but I know Tummy tucks hurt like hell. Ouch!!!!

BTW I am never going to do it though lol, I am too scared and too poor.!!!:)

carole
07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh Tonya I can't help but feel sorry for you, someone as young as yourself, should not have to go through all this, I can understand that the worry will be no more and that in itself will make such a difference, but Tonya its a big operation, alot for you to endure, I just empathise with that.,. you are still a very brave young woman in my mind.

RedHedd
07-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Heck yes! I had my eyes "done" when I was 18 months old .... well, sort of; more like man-made eyelids. Long story: premie breach birth, the forceps slipped and destroyed all the muscles in my left eyelid. They HAD to rebuild my eyelids and replace the muscles; otherwise I couldn't open my left eye. I went through over 13 years of teasing in school as the surgeries progressed. It took, I think, three surgeries spaced out over many years before I looked like a normal person.

I've had collagen injections in my facial lines, but it's too expensive, so I don't get that done as often as I'd like. Then I was hit with breast cancer when I was 46 and lost a breast. I've had, I think, a total of 9 surgeries for the breast cancer with two failed lumpectomies, a mastectomy, reconstruction with saline implant and then the saline implant failed and it all had to be done over again. After all that, I have NO fear of cosmetic surgery and am saving up to my undereye bags "done."

Tonya, you're doing the right thing. If you ever need to talk about it, just PM me. I do LOTS of breast cancer support with other women going through the before, during and after stuff cuz I'm a survivor.

Karen
07-28-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't even have any piercings, as I do not believe in pain for vanity's sake. I would not have cosmetic surgery. I have very sensitive skin, pale, too, so never spent a lot of time in the sun, so hopefully I won't be as wrinkly as some of my sun-worshipping friends might end up. Having had brain surgery once is plenty enough for me!

Tonya, we will of course keep you in our prayers when the time comes. Sounds like a wise decision given your genetic heritage.

popcornbird
07-28-2004, 05:14 PM
No way! I would never, ever, even THINK of having a cosmetic surgery. I don't see why anyone would want to change the way God made them, especially with a surgery that would cause SO much unnecessary pain. Everyone is beautiful in their own ways. Why have yourself cut open to change the way you look? Not worth it, in my opinion. There are much better things to spend your money on than on something like that. :p

Logan
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
There are multiple things I would love to change about my body, but not enough to have cosmetic surgery. I form keloid scars and the thought of optional incisions scares me to death!!! :eek: I would probably have huge lumps around anything that I chose to have reduced or changed! I guess my hubby better love me the way I am because I don't think surgery is an option! :)

Miss Meow
07-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Tonya and RedHedd, you're both so brave :)

I don't think I could have any surgery that involves anaesthetic or scalpels. I have avoidance issues with that type of thing. I'm terrified of the thought of getting older and needing any kind of operation. I wouldn't have liposuction either; it looks really savage when they stab about with the canula thingy.

My eyesight is poor but I'm too chicken to get laser surgery. I hate having my eyes fiddled with, even for annual checkups.

I'd think about dermabrasion on my face or laser therapy for a freshen up as I get older, but that's about it.

I really dislike that frightened squirrel look that people get after noticable facelifts. What's wrong with living your life, enjoying yourself and collecting a few laugh lines on the way? The skin on your neck and hands gives your age away every time, no matter how tightly your face is pulled ;)

zippy-kat
07-28-2004, 07:52 PM
If I could afford it, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Kfamr
07-28-2004, 08:02 PM
NO. I personally, although I'm not the most attractive person, see no need for it. If people don't accept you for how you look, then it just shows how low they are. *I* can accept myself, so, so should others.

I think it's totally B.C. that people want such stuff done, but I have NO problem it being done for medical reasons or maybe little "Fixer up" surgeries here and there.

People who get it done all over, with 543535435345 surgeries looks fake ... and you can tell.

The show Swan made me absolutely sick the first time I watched it... and the last time. They looked beautiful yes, but how could you be happy seeing someone completely different in the mirror?

I would however, have one of those eyes surgeries done to fix my eyesight. If I had the money, it'd be done.... the eye doctor even said today that;d i'd be the "perfect canidate"

Tonya
07-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Thank you, everyone. You all are so wonderful.

I have had dermabrasian too. I hadn't really thought of that as cosmetic surgery until someone mentioned it. I have really bad skin and horrible acne scars. My acne used to make me so self conscious that I planned my life around it. I would cancel major events that I was looking forward to just because of a flare up. I still have pretty bad skin, but not as bad as it used to. After I have the baby and my skin is regulated again, I'll probably start back up on the dermabrasian.

Tonya
07-28-2004, 08:07 PM
One more thing on this subject...I don't know if everyone else realizes this, but we could all be beautiful according to Hollywood's standards. Most of those women aren't any more attractive then we are on a normal day. They've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on cosmetic surgeries, dieticians, makeup artists, trainers, etc...

slick
07-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Would I ever go under the knife voluntarily??

Absolutely not.

heinz57_79
07-28-2004, 08:20 PM
I think elective cosmetic surgery which really doesn't help anything is ridiculous. I refused to watch The Swan. I think we reached our peak of exploitation with that. "Here, you're fat and not good looking. Let us give you a whole new body and face full of plastic and we'll have a competition!" Ick...

The only thing I would ever consider doing is a (I hope this is ok to say) a breast lift. I'm only 25, but with all my weight gain and loss over the years, they're big and heavy and generally painful. The fact that they're unattractive, and look like they belong to a 55 year old (no offense! :) ) is a factor too, I'll admit it, but the main problem is that they kill my back and shoulders and are VERY uncomfortable.

Other than that, I really couldn't care less. I don't want someone to have to break my nose just to fix it again. My eyes are ok, and if I don't like my body, I'll just get off my butt and excercise! :)

Cookiebaker
07-28-2004, 08:33 PM
No, and no, and no, and NO! I thank God everyday that I am ugly, 'cause I don't want dirty old men looking at me anyway. :rolleyes: :p For every cute single guy looking my way, you can bet a week's paycheck that I would have 25 dirty freaks leering at me, too. :mad: :rolleyes:

carole
07-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Kay I just wanted to add I don't think people get cosmetic surgery because others cannot accept the way they look, it is that they have a hard time accepting themselves.

I intend to try and keep growing old gracefully, but a little help would not be too bad, but weighing up the risks, I don't think even if I had the cash I would do it, I am like Miss Meow, avoid the scapel at all costs.

My other threads were just my wish list, I am generally quite happy with who I am, but there are just some things when you get older no amount of diet and exercise can fix.

I don't frown on anyone who choses this path, if that is what makes you happy and feel good within yourself, who am I to Judge, each to their own.

I must add I also think the Swan is the pits in entertainment, but for some reason I find myself watching it.

No-one addressed my statement regarding the Military paying for elective surgery, I was curious to how you all felt about that?

Tonya
07-28-2004, 08:49 PM
No-one addressed my statement regarding the Military paying for elective surgery, I was curious to how you all felt about that?

Oh yeah! I was going to address that and then I got sidetracked. That is sooo insane! Unless the cosmetic surgery is to correct something that happened in a battle, like a bomb or something. But my tax dollars better not be going to spruce someone up! I have a friend who's sister is an active marine and got breast implants recently. I'll have to ask about that.

carole
07-28-2004, 08:55 PM
I think Tonya you will find it to be true, otherwise our media sources are crap, it was on our Good Morning Breakfast show, this is what made me start the thread, it was all about Cosmetic Surgery, I believe it is not just for things that happen in combat, any elective surgery like you mentioned,it is said to help in recruitment as well, and yes your'e taxes are going towards it.

AmberLee
07-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Yes, I've had cosmetic surgery. I had something called an amyloid (not sure I'm spelling that right... :rolleyes: ) growing under my right eye. By the time it was discovered, my face was/is slightly distorted. Good news: the surgery successfully removed it, my eyesight was saved. Bad news: the work they did so the distortion would go away didn't work. It took a series of four mini-surgeries over several years. I've drug my feet over another attempt to correct it. Last one was pretty painful, I don't like the surgeon who is 'the best in the Western United States', and I was very discouraged by the final results.

But when I am tired or stressed, it does affect my sight. And I get very self-conscious when small children get in my face, studying it, and ask why it's crooked. (Just want to go home and howl... :o :( )

Carole, the news report might be true, but I doubt it. I have several friends and acquaintances in the service and know how difficult they find it to get medically required surgeries scheduled/ time off, what you say boggles my mind. I'll ask though.

Freckles
07-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Cosmetic surgery for military (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/21/military.perks.reut/) CNN article.

AmberLee
07-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Freckles, that surprises me.

sirrahved
07-28-2004, 09:39 PM
I would get my nose straightened if we had money to do it. I broke it two years ago and it's rather crooked now. We'll never have enough money where I could feel comfortable doing it and not guilty, so I'll be stuck with the crooked nose I have.

Tonya
07-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Oh my gosh! I cannot believe that is true!

Edwina's Secretary
07-28-2004, 09:51 PM
I told my husband from what I have seen of Southern California, if he wants me to live there he will have to buy me a pair of big fake boobs so I can fit in. (I am only kidding....about getting fake boobs NOT about the extensive number of them running around there!)

However, if it weren't for my irrational fear of medical procedures I would have my eyes done someday....

moosmom
07-28-2004, 10:30 PM
I think people who dwell on their looks and are "excessive" with cosmetic surgery need serious counseling. Like that chick who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to look like Barbie?? She's a head trip if I EVER saw one!!

My best friend had a bit of cosmetic surgery. She looks great. That's fine. But I think that too much emphasis these days has been put on, especially women, with "perfect" bodies. Beauty comes from within.

Would I ever consider cosmetic surgery, not unless I was in a horrible accident and was disfigured and needed it. If people don't like the way I look, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

Twisterdog
07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Never. I would never have cosmetic surgery. I can think of few things more silly, frankly.

There are several women in town here who have had every cosmetic surgery known to man, several times. Sure, from a distance, they look great. But up close, they look plastic - as if their faces will crack if they smiled. Scary - truly.

I am not my body. I am my mind, my soul, my heart. My body is just the package I am currently living in. Having a smaller nose or larger breasts isn't going to change who I am inside, who I can become.

I find it terribly sad that people will spend so much time and money fighting aging, and altering their appearance when they won't devote a single dime or hour to helping those less fortunate or learning something new. We seem to becoming a culture of "Doesn't matter how I feel or what I do, just so I look good." :confused: :(

carole
07-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks Freckles , I did not think our media source was that unreliable.

Can I please just say I don't want this thread to turn into bashing people who do choose to have cosmetic surgery,(not that it has exactly) I really just wanted to know is it something you might or might not consider.

Seriously as much as I might have a wish list, its not for me, but I have no problem with those who choose to undertake plastic surgery.

However I do agree with Donna, someone who has so much to look like a Barbie Doll IMO does require counselling, either that or its just a publicity stunt, so she can be famous for it.

I am not sure why women want to have huge Boobs, is it so that men will take more notice of them, or are they extroverted people who just love attention, now I am talking about HUGE ones here folks.

I would be interested to hear from our fellow California PT members, Gini, and Richard to name two, does nearly everyone have a fake something in LA? being the hollywood capital, isn't it just the norm there.?,correct me if I am wrong please!!no offense mean't here.

If I were an american taxpayer I think I would be a little out-raged at paying for military staff to have themselves fixed up..

buckner
07-29-2004, 12:33 AM
I've had cosmetic surgery before, but it was for health reasons. Late 2001 and early 2002, I noticed a bump on my nose. After a few months had passed, it hadn't gone away. The dermatologist had guessed it was a tumour. A small benign tumour, indeed it was. It was removed and classified and cosmetic surgery.

Sure, if I had the money or the guts, I'd get cosmetic surgery. I've never been happy with the way I looked. Even when I was considered "skinny", I wasn't happy with the way I looked. My body, my hips, my legs, my face, my nose, etc. The thing I've been hoping for most in my life, ever since I was a little girl, is that they came out with some miracle surgery to fix my ears. I'd give anything to have normal ears that function properly without ear tubes. I hate being different, and having so many people ask "what're those?" when I'm swimming.. at least, trying. I've never been able to swim. :/ That's not cosmetic surgery.. but I'd give anything to have that. Oh well.. I'll just keep hoping.

joycenalex
07-29-2004, 07:17 AM
last september i had gastric bypass surgery, and my body form has changed dramatically. as i've lost the weight, and exercised, (fairly faithfully for the last 3 months) my muscle layers under the very lose skin are firming up nicely, but the loose skin looks and feels awful. i'm planning on having the skin on my upper arms, stomach, hips and thighs and buttocks removed, possibly next year, a breast reduction, but no implants though, i'm a mammographer, and i realize how difficult it is to get good breast images. i also want a face/jaw lift so i look as good as i feel inside. the gastric bypass surgery has saved my life, without it, i really believe that i would have died from the co-morbidities at an early age. as a very heavy woman for years the taunts, judgements and plain rude comments and stares from many ignorant people have been hurtful. i have the opportunity now to change my external self to the always there internal self, so i'll go for it.

Samantha Puppy
07-29-2004, 08:22 AM
I would, but it would be to fix the disgusting scar on my back left by a stupid intern that jabbed me with surgical scissors when I was 4 months old. It's hideous and I'm extremely self-conscious of it. I can't wear low-cut panties or jeans or bathing suits... I would love to be able to wear hip huggers. :(

CatMama78
07-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I see nothing wrong with a few nips and tucks here and there if it helps you to feel better about yourself. I'm actually pretty satisfied with my features, so I would not have surgery on any of those. But, I don't see a problem with those who do. To each their own and everything in moderation. Yeah, I agree that Barbie woman is a few screws shy and has some serious issues.

BUT, if I could afford it and was a good candidate for it, I would have liposuction in a second. Sorry, but it's the truth!! More realistically, I'm on Jenny Craig and working out - so I'm going to lose weight the good way :).

And a lot of you youngsters may indeed change your mind as you grow older. I know you think you're set in your decision now, but things change.......

And of course, there is a definite difference in surgery for vanity's sake (still I see no problem with it) and surgery out of necessity.

And I want to stress I'm for cosmetic surgery in MODERATION. One nose job and one face lift is moderate. But the people who have surgery after surgery!!! That's a disease.

Tonya, we'll keep you in our prayers :) You're a strong woman!

Tonya
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by buckner
Sure, if I had the money or the guts, I'd get cosmetic surgery. I've never been happy with the way I looked. Even when I was considered "skinny", I wasn't happy with the way I looked. My body, my hips, my legs, my face, my nose, etc. The thing I've been hoping for most in my life, ever since I was a little girl, is that they came out with some miracle surgery to fix my ears. I'd give anything to have normal ears that function properly without ear tubes. I hate being different, and having so many people ask "what're those?" when I'm swimming.. at least, trying. I've never been able to swim. :/ That's not cosmetic surgery.. but I'd give anything to have that. Oh well.. I'll just keep hoping.

Oh, buckner, I am bawling right now. My son, Jaden, never had a (noticable) ear infection in his life. But, he never seemed to pay attention. I took him to his doctor time and time again and told her that I thought he couldn't hear. She told me "Get used to it, he'll be ignoring your for another 18 years."

Finally, when he was 3, his preschool teacher said "You know, Tonya, I don't think he's intentionally being bad...I don't think he can hear. I think he is reading lips."

So I changed doctors and insisted on a hearing test. In the doctors office, they don't have a way of testing really, so Jaden passed the standard test. Then, they sent him to an old fart audiologist. The guy got frustrated and said "This kid needs discipline, he can hear."

Finally, we got him to a child audiologist who would have him drop blocks in the bucket when he heard sounds and things like that. I could tell that Jaden was truly enjoying himself, so I knew the results wouldn't be fudged.

I bawled my eyes out during that test. I hated myself for all those times I lost my cool because he "wasn't listening". I hated myself for not being more persistant. I hated myself because he was now behind his age group socially. I hated myself for all those times he had stitches and staples from falling. (His equilibrium was affected.) His motor skills were behind.

Well, they told me that it was fluid build up. His ear drums may be damaged, but maybe not.

Well, fastforward to today...He is seven years old and they have had to replace his tubes a few times. And he's lost his hearing a few more times since he was three. He loves swimming and begs to be in swim lessons. Yet, everytime I let him swim, no matter how well we put the plugs in and his headband, he winds up with a horrible infection. His ears literally drain like a faucet.

He's at that age now, where he is becoming a bit self conscious. He is really bothered that he has to wear funny stuff when he swims. He's embarrassed because he can't dive to the bottom of the pool like the rest of the kids. He's always asking me when he won't have to wear tubes and his ears will be normal.

It breaks my heart because I really don't know if his ears ever will be normal. I wish that is was me instead of him. Anyways, sorry to ramble. Your post just really hit home.

:(

buckner
07-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Oh, buckner, I am bawling right now. My son, Jaden, never had a (noticable) ear infection in his life. But, he never seemed to pay attention. I took him to his doctor time and time again and told her that I thought he couldn't hear. She told me "Get used to it, he'll be ignoring your for another 18 years."

Finally, when he was 3, his preschool teacher said "You know, Tonya, I don't think he's intentionally being bad...I don't think he can hear. I think he is reading lips."

So I changed doctors and insisted on a hearing test. In the doctors office, they don't have a way of testing really, so Jaden passed the standard test. Then, they sent him to an old fart audiologist. The guy got frustrated and said "This kid needs discipline, he can hear."

Finally, we got him to a child audiologist who would have him drop blocks in the bucket when he heard sounds and things like that. I could tell that Jaden was truly enjoying himself, so I knew the results wouldn't be fudged.

I bawled my eyes out during that test. I hated myself for all those times I lost my cool because he "wasn't listening". I hated myself for not being more persistant. I hated myself because he was now behind his age group socially. I hated myself for all those times he had stitches and staples from falling. (His equilibrium was affected.) His motor skills were behind.

Well, they told me that it was fluid build up. His ear drums may be damaged, but maybe not.

Well, fastforward to today...He is seven years old and they have had to replace his tubes a few times. And he's lost his hearing a few more times since he was three. He loves swimming and begs to be in swim lessons. Yet, everytime I let him swim, no matter how well we put the plugs in and his headband, he winds up with a horrible infection. His ears literally drain like a faucet.

He's at that age now, where he is becoming a bit self conscious. He is really bothered that he has to wear funny stuff when he swims. He's embarrassed because he can't dive to the bottom of the pool like the rest of the kids. He's always asking me when he won't have to wear tubes and his ears will be normal.

It breaks my heart because I really don't know if his ears ever will be normal. I wish that is was me instead of him. Anyways, sorry to ramble. Your post just really hit home.

:(
My story is similar.

When I was born, my eustacion tubes were not fully developed. Normal drainage that runs down the back of your throat couldn't do that in me. So, it just backed up. Therefore, leaving me deaf. When I was 2 (give or take a few months), my mom realized that I wasn't hearing properly. My grandmother was scared to death that the daycare would punish me for not being able to here.. but they didn't.

My mom took me to the doctor, and he turned out to be a total jerk-off. Three months later, she walked out. We found an extraordinary specialist that I've been with for 14 years. Within 15 minutes of seeing me interact with toys in the playroom, he immediately knew why I couldn't hear and what was wrong. I've gone through 2 sets of regular ear tubes, and this current set (my third set) is permanant.

As a side note, before I continue on, if you were at an ENT specialist, they should've had their own room/section for an audiologist. My place does, and always have. The test should be hearing for faint tones.

No matter what, I'm not allowed to get water in my ears. Most people don't have what I have, and what Jaden has - which is direct access of water to the middle/inner ear. When water does get there, it hurt likes no other. Ear infections rise in every case, and in mine, I eventually go back deaf because it's all "backed up" again. I've gone several pairs of specially made ear plugs, probably about 8 or so in 14 years.

I have to say, the stares and questions don't go away. And the self-consciousness doesn't ever go away, because you just wish you were normal. But, it's just something I've learned to deal with. Don't be hard on yourself for not knowing or catching it early. Jaden will soon learn that his ear problem is a part of him, and there's nothing that he can do to change it.

lovemyshiba
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
The only thing I would like to have done is Lasik surgery for my eyes--I can't even imagine how cool it would be to wake up in the morning and not have to fumble around for my glasses to see what time it is. I wear contacts, but I would just love to avoid all of it completely.
Other than that, what you see is what you get--I've no desire to change my body in any way.

Twisterdog
07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Tonya,

My son had horrible ear infections from birth. He had two sets of tubes in his ears and his adnoids removed by the time he was two years old. It was a constant battle with ear drops, antibiotics, doctor's appointments, etc. for years. He had a moderate speech impediment until he was five years old, simply because he could not hear others or himself speak clearly enough to make the proper sounds. He was constantly in trouble in daycare. It was a nightmare.

However, he is now thirteen years old and has not had an ear infection for years. His tubes are out, and his hearing and speech are normal. So do not panic! Jaden will most likely grow out of this and be just fine.

And here's a hint for swimming: Buy the wax ear plugs. Soften them up by running them under hot water, dry them off, dry his ear canal with a tissue and insert them. They will mold to the shape of his ear, and the cold pool water will set the shape. They stay in much better than anything else.

Tonya
07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Oh, twister! Thank you so much! I never thought to warm the plugs up first! He also wears a Speedo headband to kind of keep them in. I really hope that his ears get better. I am glad to hear that your son's did. It gives me hope.

p.s. They removed Jaden's adnoids last time too.

Kfamr
07-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
The only thing I would like to have done is Lasik surgery for my eyes--I can't even imagine how cool it would be to wake up in the morning and not have to fumble around for my glasses to see what time it is. I wear contacts, but I would just love to avoid all of it completely.
Other than that, what you see is what you get--I've no desire to change my body in any way.

Ditto. I'd just love to be able to see perfectly. I love looking at the world, even when it's blurry to me. I think the clouds are the most beautiful thing in the world.

Eyesight really is something special. When I had my contacts in yesterday... Being able to see some things clearly for the first time was amazing.

I have to go back Saturday because they have to test my eyes again. Evidently it wasn't the right script because I can't see anything up close... but it was amazing how *vibrant* and sharp things were from far away..... how pink became BRIGHT pink, and the blurry road lines became straight, white lines.

The eye doctor said i'd be a perfect canidate for the Lasic surgery. I'd be a bit hiestant about getting it done... but I'd sure love to see "perfectly"....

Barbara
07-30-2004, 05:28 AM
I am so much afraid about surgery I only would have it for health reasons.

I had major brain surgery ten years ago and they cut along my hairline, took a bone triangle out of my front to come to the tumor. Then they put the triangle in again (with 3 metal cramps that show up under X-rays:D ) and put the skin over it again. This, without the boney thing, is what they do when they tighten your face skin. They cut through a facial nerve which grows back by a half cm per month. In my case it did not grow back completely and in moments like this when I think of it I feel that there is a place on top of my head in which I cannot feel.

I wouldn't want an effect like this just for my beauty- which will be gone anyway some day (maybe it is already ;)). Look at Cher- she postponed it a little but I think it isn't worth it.

Nomilynn
07-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
If I could afford it, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I'm with Tonya on this one! :)

lisalee
07-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Never. I can't even watch The Swan or shows that show plastic surgery. I don't have the stomach for that and it would terrify me greatly to have anything done. I would never consider such a thing, unless of course it was for health issues or if I were in an accident, etc.

As for aging, I can never understand why people become so obsessed with how they look. Just be happy for who you are and enjoy life!

Lisa & Sash

Tonya
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Anyways, yes, I would consider having cosmetic surgery. In fact I already have a consultation April 21 2005 and surgery scheduled for June 2005. My entire family has been plagued with breast cancer on both sides. My mother's side of the family (including myself) have such dense breast tissue that mammograms do not work well. I have already had a few benign lumps removed from my breast which puts me at a higher risk. My grandmother and my mother has already had a masectomy and has had her breasts replaced with implants. Insurance payed for most of it. After the baby is born, and I am doing the same.

I just have a little prayer request regarding this. My work has put me on an unpaid leave of absence possibly without benefits. I have to be off during my pregnancy, and because of that, I will most deffinatly not have free benefits by the time this surgury comes. I will be paying for my benefits and/or my surgury. To make a long story short, we can't afford for me to be off of work for a year AND pay for benefits AND pay for surgury. We've put our timeshare up for sale. Please pray that it sells because this is the only time that I can get this surgury done. The only other time I would get excused time off of work for this would be when I actually have breast cancer.

carole
11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Tonya sweetheart, I really hope with all my heart your timeshare sells and you get a good price, I know how important this surgery is to you, and understand why you feel it necessary to go ahead with it, it is a huge step that you have not undertaken lightly, and I admire your courage, and can only wish that everything works out well so you can afford it.

My thoughts are with you, fingers and all paws crossed here for a speedy sale.:)

Jods
11-18-2004, 06:00 PM
The only thing would do is the lasik surgery as well, but I'm scared that if I have it done It'll go wrong and I'll be blind forever :rolleyes: LOL... Yeah I know...

Miranda_Rae
11-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I dislike myself (i am trying to be nice :o), but I don't think i would go in for cosmetic surgery because after everyone goes in then everyones like oh your so beautiful and i don't think i would want that. I mean I think i am ugly and all, but i don't think i would want to go through with that. I have avoided social situations because i don't like the way i look, but i don't think i could do THAT!

guineapiglover4life
11-18-2004, 06:37 PM
I like myself the way I am. I'm not going under the knife anytime soon.

wolflady
11-18-2004, 06:50 PM
I just have a little prayer request regarding this. My work has put me on an unpaid leave of absence possibly without benefits. I have to be off during my pregnancy, and because of that, I will most deffinatly not have free benefits by the time this surgury comes. I will be paying for my benefits and/or my surgury. To make a long story short, we can't afford for me to be off of work for a year AND pay for benefits AND pay for surgury. We've put our timeshare up for sale. Please pray that it sells because this is the only time that I can get this surgury done. The only other time I would get excused time off of work for this would be when I actually have breast cancer.

You can count on prayers being delivered! I can't belive all of this mess that you have to go through. :( Also, I'm not far away if you need moral support when the time comes for surgery! The power of PT support is really an incredible thing! ;)

As far as the cosmetic surgery thing, I agree with the majority of folks here. I don't believe in it, unless it's for a medical reason. I've known several women who have gotten breast reductions, and have felt so much better after that (no back pain, headaches...etc). Poor things! Even Lasik surgery helps people see better. Things like that are OK IMO.

I'll admit. I hate the way I look. I think I'm ugly...but I wouldn't get plastic surgery, because that's just it. It's a fact that no normal human being can look like what they will look like after plastic surgery. It's not natural and it's sad that the media has put such an emphasis on appearance that so many people (especially women) feel bad about the way they look. I admit, I'm one of them. I'm not tall, anorexically skinny and with perfect skin. I'm fat, short and ugly. Sometimes I joke about getting liposuction (sp?), but I would never do it. Yuk!
Oh well....that's how God wanted me to look, so I've just learned to accept it. :o

slick
11-18-2004, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wolflady
I'll admit. I hate the way I look. I think I'm ugly... /QUOTE]

That is ABSOLUTELY not true! Karen you are beautiful with a radiant smile that can light up a room and I love you just the way you are. So there!;) :D

wolflady
11-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by slick
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wolflady
I'll admit. I hate the way I look. I think I'm ugly... /QUOTE]

That is ABSOLUTELY not true! Karen you are beautiful with a radiant smile that can light up a room and I love you just the way you are. So there!;) :D

:o
Thanks slick! I actually got tears in my eyes from reading this...
**hugs**
Karen

PJ's Mom
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I'll admit. I hate the way I look. I think I'm ugly...but I wouldn't get plastic surgery, because that's just it.

Me too. I avoid mirrors, but because I have three teenaged daughters, I try not to harp too much on how I hate myself. :o They know they're all beautiful and I don't want my negativity rubbing off on them.

sammy101
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Nope!I wouldnt just b/c of some of the horrible things that have happened to people. and im confident with my looks,other than i need to loose some weight:p ,which ive already lost 2 lbs,lol.
but no i would never get it

Tonya
11-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
As far as the cosmetic surgery thing, I agree with the majority of folks here. I don't believe in it, unless it's for a medical reason. I've known several women who have gotten breast reductions, and have felt so much better after that (no back pain, headaches...etc). Poor things! Even Lasik surgery helps people see better. Things like that are OK IMO.

I'll admit. I hate the way I look. I think I'm ugly...but I wouldn't get plastic surgery, because that's just it. It's a fact that no normal human being can look like what they will look like after plastic surgery. It's not natural and it's sad that the media has put such an emphasis on appearance that so many people (especially women) feel bad about the way they look. I admit, I'm one of them. I'm not tall, anorexically skinny and with perfect skin. I'm fat, short and ugly. Sometimes I joke about getting liposuction (sp?), but I would never do it. Yuk!
Oh well....that's how God wanted me to look, so I've just learned to accept it. :o

Hey, you big liar! I met you so you can't fool me. ;) You are not ugly at all! You are beautiful and you're a wonderful person which makes you even better. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I think everyone always wants to be something different. The tall women want to be short, the short want to be tall. The petite want to be curvy, the curvy women want to be petite. We all need to except and love who we are because we are all beautiful in our own unique way. I don't think there's an ugly person out there. The only people I've ever met that I thought were ugly were the ones with nasty personalities.

BCBlondie
11-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I would be interested to hear from our fellow California PT members, Gini, and Richard to name two, does nearly everyone have a fake something in LA? being the hollywood capital, isn't it just the norm there.?,correct me if I am wrong please!!no offense mean't here.
I don't live near Hollywood (I'm about 7hrs north from it!), but I've been down to SoCal a few times and I have friends and family down there, and no one that I know of has gotten anything fake, nor anyone that they know of... I may be wrong though, but from my perspective, that is somewhat of a stereotype... Not everyone here has something fake! lol

Tonya
11-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Gosh, reading through this, there are quite a few of you that have called yourselves ugly. That hurts my heart. Please don't say that about yourself. Think about what you love about yourself and focus on that. No one is perfect!

BCBlondie
11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey, you big liar! I met you so you can't fool me. ;) You are not ugly at all! You are beautiful and you're a wonderful person which makes you even better. Don't be so hard on yourself.
I agree with Tonya!! :D Omg, you're not ugly at all!!!! lol You're so pretty and you also have a great smile (and a great personality)! :D

I'm the ugly one! haha:p

BCBlondie
11-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Gosh, reading through this, there are quite a few of you that have called yourselves ugly. That hurts my heart. Please don't say that about yourself. Think about what you love about yourself and focus on that. No one is perfect!
Oops! LOLL ::halo:: I didn't see your post when I posted mine.. Hmm.. what I love about myself? Ummmm nothing. :p Haha okay fine.. I'll stop... *shuts up* :X

teenster3
11-18-2004, 10:27 PM
I know beauty is supposedly supposed to be within one's self but in this day & age......society in GENERAL makes it an issue to be beautiful, thin, sexy, etc.
So, with that being said "no I don't have the money but if I did", I'd get lasik eye surgery, possible breast implants, lypo. (maybe) (but I know that's NOT an instant solution, you still have to work out & watch your diet), I'd like to look better overall!!
There are things I could change if I tried & things that are not so easy to change (like emotions).
I think that it is each individuals right to feel good about themselves & if cosmetic change is what they want.....go for it, who am I to judge?!
I don't know that I care for the shows all that much though.
My niece made a comment awhile ago saying "oh Tina I'm fat, I need to lose weight" (she's only 12 & beautiful in my eyes). I asked her why she'd say that & she commented on "all those shows" she & her friends see on tv & asked if that's all people care about....is looks? How do you answer that?:confused:
TiNa