PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

*LabLoverKEB*
07-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Which leash do you prefer, leather, nylon, chain, of retractable?

aly
07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
I voted for nylon. I do have a leather leash I use at the shelter sometimes that is pretty nice though.

Amber
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
We used Nylon

Though Katie has a leather/chain leash.

wolflady
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
I voted for leather. Priya was just too interested in chewing up the nylon leashed, but she doesn't touch her fancy leather one! :rolleyes:
:)

Desert Arabian
07-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't have a dog, of course, but my kitties are leash trained- I prefer a retractable leash for them. When I walk my neighbors dog, Tasha, I also use a retractable for her. I like them because it gives them lots of space to walk and explore, yet keeps them in controled and safe, and you can shorten it when you need to.

When I get a dog, I most likely will use a retractable, and have a nylon as an extra/spare.

:) :D

Toller 42
07-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I chose the leather one because leather doesn't hurt your hands if they decide to pull at something but I also use a nylon leash if I know were going somewhere that has water water because Tango loves to swim and I don't like to put the leather one in water. I use a retractable leash if we go to a park or somewhere that they would want to explore, but whenever I use that leash she knows she can go where she wants but it causes problems when I switch her back to her normal leash because then she thinks she can pull like a maniac and then I have to teach her to heel or walk nice all over again!

anna_66
07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I generally use a leather one which I really like.

But if we're going to the park or something, I use a retractable one.

binka_nugget
07-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I use Nylon most of the time. I don't like our flexi leash. I find it really flimsy and don't trust it at all. It's nice when we're walking on a long trail though(Kai doesn't pull because there's nothing to scare him) but since we live in a busy area, I just use the nylon.

I'd like to try a hemp leash though. I heard they get stronger as they get more worn in.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-28-2004, 04:11 PM
We use Nylon leashes, but we've also had Leather before. I think the nylon is very sturdy, and I trust it when we go for walks. The leather is nice too, but I think Nylon is more durable.

Tonya
07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Nylon...

Leather they may want to chew on.
Chain could hurt my hand if I needed to control them. (Like a dog fight or something.)
I have never used retractable. I never really trusted them enough to even buy them.

primabella
07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
I would have liked to vote for both retractable and nylon since I use them both. I didn't like using the retractable until Mickey was leash-trained but now I'll use them both.

I voted for nylon though, seeing as I like it better since I have more control over Mickey with it.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone, just wanted to know who uses what.:) Sorry that you could't vote for both, Liana.

molucass
07-28-2004, 04:43 PM
I use both too... Retractable and nylon.... It depends on where we are going...

I like the retractable leashes though, except for the fact that if you are walking more than one dog, they tend to get tangled up in it.

Tina
07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
I voted retractable we use that one the most, actually I had two but don't know were it is. I don't know Ginger doesn't seem to pull on it has bad. We do have a couple Nylon leashes also but we rarely ever use them.

tikeyas_mom
07-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I like the Nylon type leads. Tikeya has a new pink Nylon lead!! ":)

Shelteez2
07-28-2004, 11:36 PM
My favorite is a nice worn leather leash :)

I HATE retractable leads.

cocker_luva
07-28-2004, 11:55 PM
chain, because whenever we take Jess to the groomers, she chews on the leash to get away. we got tired of buying new leashes every 3-4 weeks, so we just bought a chain leash with a nylon or leather handle.

Kfamr
07-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Nylon.

I don't really like chains because they're hard. Leather is too tough, so I only like it if it's worn.

Retractables.. I just don't trust at all.

Uabassoon
07-29-2004, 12:02 AM
I like nylon, but mostly because I'm silly and like them for the pretty colors and prints. A few of the dogs I walk use retracable and they are a little too modern for me. I have problems with them and I'm never able to retract them when I need to.

Logan
07-29-2004, 05:55 AM
We have all of the ones you listed, and each are used for different purposes. The nylon are the most practical, but when I walk my dogs, I usually use the retractable ones so they feel a little "freer". For more control, I either use the six foot nylon or a 3 ft braided leather leash (always use this one for the vet).

mruffruff
07-29-2004, 07:08 AM
I'm with Logan.

I use the nylon ones most of the time. For a walk, I'll use the retractable. I thought retractables were pretty flimsy until I used one on a big, strong, lunging dog and it held very well.

I have one leather handled chain leash for rescues/fosters. It doesn't get much use anymore.

Mary

cloverfdx
07-29-2004, 08:35 AM
I use Leather for Obedience classes and trials, as they look nice ;) Not that the judges take any notice of our leads LOL.

Nylon for getting to and from the park. None when we get there.

I also do not trust retractable leads at all, Clover had one that broke after a few times using it and a friend of mine got one for one of their Boxers and it broke the first time they used it (It was supposed to be good quality) :eek:.

My Mums Penny uses one and has been using the same retractable lead for a few years now and it is still going strong. :)

Leather is still my favourite though. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
07-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone.:)