PDA

View Full Version : My Kittie has blood in her litter box

Golden Smiles
11-02-2001, 05:56 PM
Hi..My Himalayan Sadie, 5 yrs, has been straining at the litter box for about 3 days now, and I just noticed blood drops in the box :( I will take her to the vet tomorrow a.m!! Could it be constipation?? I am assuming it is from her bowels, it is bright red, but then again it could be a urinary thing also right?? This has me so worried! If anyone has experienced anything like this, let me know. Also she had kittens(3) last month, they have been gone 2 weeks now.She is scheduled to be fixed mid Nov, maybe it will be sooner than that. Keep her in your prayers!

wolflady
11-02-2001, 06:04 PM
Golden, yes!!! I don't want to scare you, but take her to the vet right away!! ASAP I'm surprised that your baby is having this problem as it is more prevalent in male cats, but it sure sounds like a UTI (urinary tract infection) to me!! My Scooter has had serious UTI problems, so I've had quite a bit of experience in this area. He's exhibited many symptoms, but any kind of straining and blood present is a sure fire sign of an infection. Maybe it was brought on after having the kittens?? In any case, your vet should be able to give you some antibiotics to help the infection. I'm sure they'll run several tests to make sure there are no crystals or blockage. Poor precious baby!!! Give her lots of gentle head butts for me and let us know how she is doing!!=^..^=

ILOVECINDER
11-02-2001, 08:05 PM
i am so sorry, golden smiles! i dont know what that blood is, though....i will keep your cat in my prayers :)

~love 4 cinder

4 feline house
11-02-2001, 09:40 PM
Most likely a UTI. Being female it shouldn't be too serious. She should get over it quickly with no problems. But remember, everybody, especially for your neutered males - a straining cat is veterinary emergency! We're praying for Sadie.

DNova
11-02-2001, 11:08 PM
Golden Smiles, be strong for your kitty. I wish you the best of luck at the vet's tomorrow. My thoughts are with you and your kitty

Golden Smiles
11-03-2001, 11:41 AM
:D :D YIPPEE!! Just got back from the vets w/ Sadie! She is just constipated! Thank God!! He checked her out well, and everything looks good, but he couldn't even get a stool sample she was so impacted :( Poor baby! Anyhoot, she's on Laxatone, and pumpkin pie mix!! The dr. said that Persians are prone to binding up like that, so put a Tbsp of pumpkin pie mix in her food each day, or as a treat!!! :) She loves it!! I am so glad that's all it is, thanks for all the well wishes!!

Former User
11-03-2001, 11:43 AM
We're glad everything turned out to be fine :D

Purrrs for Sadie from us two.

Logan
11-03-2001, 12:11 PM
Whew! I was worried, Terri. I just saw the post, and thank goodness I read to the bottom!!! Hope that sweet little mama will be much better soon. :D

tuxluvr
11-03-2001, 02:25 PM
So, a little pumpkin is like....well....META MEW CIL.....for kitties?

(ok,, sorry, I'll ban myself from pettalk for a week for the bad pun)

wolflady
11-05-2001, 02:45 PM
What a relief!!! I'm so glad that your Sadie baby is fine :D Pumpkin pie mix?? Sounds good to me! :D Give her a little spoilage and lots of scritches. She must have been miserable :eek: Do you have her on a hairball formula diet?? Keep up with the laxitone...that will definitely help. I'm so happy that she's ok! :) **hugs**

tatsxxx11
11-06-2001, 01:42 PM
Terry, so happy to hear that sweet Sadie is doing well!! Just the other day on Animal Planet (ER VETS) a bunny was brought into the office in severe abdominal distress, vomiting, not eating. Xrays showed no obstruction as such; "just" constipation and impaction. Well, I won't get into the details. But, after the procedure, pumpkin pie filling with it's high fiber content, was prescribed for bunny and all other long haired, obsessive groomers who cannot expel all that hair! So glad to hear that Sadie is doing well! How frightening! I started Oliver (Maine Coon x Persian) on pumpkin pie filling last week. Suddenly, hairballs everywhere, despite daily brushings, laxatone and hairball formula Royal Canin dry food! Well, it is the season! :) Hugs to Sadie!!

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

thelmalu99
11-06-2001, 02:29 PM
Dumb question: Is pumpkin pie mix any different from plain old canned pumpkin? The reason I'm asking is, my Danny is kind of a pukey cat. He has been to the vet and got a clean bill of health, except for those pesky worms :eek:, for which Doc gave him (and Elvis) de-worming stuff. He stopped vomiting so much, but he still does maybe 2-3 times a week (as opposed to every day, like he was before the worm treatment). Maybe those hairballs are causing the trouble? We tried Laxatone, but it doesn't seem to do much.
So, can I get him canned pumpkin, or should it be some other pumpkin stuff that I'm not familiar with?
Thanks.

PS-He does poop every day and the poops look normal.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

AmberLee
11-06-2001, 02:59 PM
Dear Thelma,

Thanks for asking that question, I was just assuming it was the same and wondering if it might help Cassy. (He's a "relatively predictable" puker. :rolleyes: ) Both sets of dry food we use is hairball formula, but maybe pumpkin would help. I plan to ask when we see the v-e-t Saturday for our shots. Cassy's going to be upset when we go bye-bye on Sat. :eek: ;) Keeping him heathy is worth it (or so I keep telling myself).