PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded task...

Tonya
07-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm going in! I am about to tackle my son's bedroom. He has four toyboxes, a shelving system, and a closet waist high of toys. When I am done, he will have two toyboxes and the rest of the toys are going to charity.

I get so frustrated because everyone always buys him crap and spoils him! He has to many grandparents! All we bought him for his birthday is a guitar, and he still wound up with a truckload of new toys.

What ever happened to the good ol days where you get one toy for your birthday? Why are kids so spoiled these days?

Anyways, wish me luck, I'm dreading this! Sorry about the boring post. I think I posted this just because it gave me two more minutes of procrastinating. hehe.

DJFyrewolf36
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM
My mother said the same thing about my toys :D

Speaking of spoiling children....

Check This out!

Click here (http://www.poshtots.com/pt/catalog/product_detail.asp?category_id=1105&heirarchy_id=58&product_id=392)

At least his grandparents never got him one of these!

Although, I think he would only get one toy for his birthday if everyone pitched in lol!

Logan
07-28-2004, 01:43 PM
My daughter has NINE, count them, NINE, grandparents, total. Poor thing....NOT!!!!! Her dad and I are divorced (almost 11 years ago). He remarried, so she has his parents (1,2) and her stepmother's parents (3,4)who treat her like their own granddaughter (she is their only granddaughter, even as a stepgranddaughter, and they have two grandsons). Of course she has my parents (5,6) and they love her to pieces and spoil her rotten. I remarried and my husband's parent's are divorced. So, Helen got my husband's mother (who's 2nd husband is deceased), who makes number 7. She adores Helen and Helen adores her. And she got his Dad and his wife, who also love her, who make 8 & 9, and they spoil her like their own too! That means a lot of birthday and Christmas gifts!!!!! Ha Ha!!!! :D

Good luck, Tonya. Thank goodness, my Helen is old enough to want to keep her room clean on her own. She is also aware of her step brother and sister's rooms and she cleans them too on occasion! :)

Tonya
07-28-2004, 02:23 PM
You prompted me to count Jaden's grandparents too...

My mom and stepdad (2)
My dad and stepmom (2)
My mom's mother (1)
My dad's mother (1)
My dad's father and step-mother (2)
My stepmom's mother (1)
Mike's mother and stepdad (2)
Mike's father and stepmom (2)
Mike's stepmom's mother (1)
Mike's mother's parents (2)

So...that's 16. Except my dad's father and step-mother aren't very active in Jaden's life. We only hear from them every few years. So, I would say 14.

Oh, forgot some...
My grandmother (my biological father's mother) (1)
My great grandfather and grandmother (my grandmother's parents) (2)

So, that's 19 minus the two inactive grandparents equals 17. Freaking ridiculous! Don't ask me to count aunts and uncles! It gets pretty bad too!

Well, edit again...I guess that is 8 grandparents if you are just counting 1st generation.

G.P.girl
07-28-2004, 04:26 PM
wow! i only have three...

Doggirl
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
W:eek:W!

I only have one! All the rest of my family is in South Africa or the UK so I never get other gifts.

kingrattus
07-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Holy Smokes!!
I thought I had alot of grandparents.
2 grandmas
1 great grandma
1 grandpa

I wont go into aunts & uncles, my grandma C. came from a family of 11 & each of them had about 4 kids each & those kids had kids & some of those kids had kids... thats just a bit of them, my moms side is HUGE!! Their Matie (I think thats how u spell it, its when a french man & indian have kids).

My dads side is a bit smaller, about 2-4 kids/family & I don't know 1/2 of then cause they r still in Ireland & out east (canada).

I use to be spoiled rotten cause I was the first born child in my level of tree on both sides of the family, & both my parents were the oldest in their families, so it was a big thing.

But I only talk to my sister now. its been over 8 months since I've talked to another family member & its gonna stay thay way (until I get my uncle danny's #, I'll always talk to him)

Twisterdog
07-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh, Tonya, I can SO sympathise with you.

My son left on Thursday to stay with his dad for a month, and I decided to clean his room while he is gone.

I ended up, three days later, with five huge 33 gallon garbage bags full of stuff that went to the dumpster, and five huge 33 gallon garbage bags full of stuff that went to Goodwill. So, ten giant bags of stuff removed from his room ... and he STILL has more stuff than any child needs to own.

I, too, have the grandparent problem. It's ridiculous.

Tonya
07-29-2004, 12:07 AM
So you are feeling me, Twister! lol. Ours turned out to be kind of ok, I removed two boxes of toys. I even through out some toys that he'd just gotten for his birthday when he wasn't looking. I had asked everyone in my family to pitch in for something like guitar lessons or basketball camp for his birthday. But noooo "I want him to have something to unwrap." On the brighter side, it always saves me money...we only buy Jaden a few presents for Christmas and whatnot and he winds up with tons!