PDA

View Full Version : What breed of dog food do you use?

Erika
07-27-2004, 07:15 PM
There has probably been a thread like this before, but I don't remember.
Nikki eats Iams lamb and rice formula dry food. Sometimes she gets bored though and we have to slowly change to a different kind.
She eats Mighty Dog wet food, but I think it is making her fat so I am giving her less.

cali
07-27-2004, 07:23 PM
I assume you mean BRAND of dogfood not breed? lol

I feed BARF, for those that dont know its one of the types of RAW diets. they get so bored if they get chicken for supper too many times lol they have been eatin porck ribletts for supper that past few days, sometimes they get beef, and turkey, and duck, and deer, and pork, and lots and lots of chicken lol they also get fish regualarly in their breckys along with organe meats and veggies, and fruits... :D

GoldenRetrLuver
07-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Adult Formula.

But, I *might* switch them over to Canidae.. does anyone feed that? Thoughts?

jazzcat
07-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Disney usually eats Purina One, the only thing she likes, but since so many people have had good results from Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul I bought some this weekend. Disney is now snubbing both it and the Purina One. I don't know what to do now.:(

That's what I get for changing.

MariaM
07-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Major eats Ol' Roy. I am looking for a better brand that I can afford, that's available.

wolfie
07-27-2004, 07:36 PM
We feed our pups Purina One. They love it, and they are healthy and shiny.

Originally posted by MariaM
Major eats Ol' Roy. I am looking for a better brand that I can afford, that's available.

Purina One isn't expensive, AND they have it in the market, so you don't have to go to the petstore to get it.

binka_nugget
07-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Chicken soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

They also get raw meat and bones when we happen to have it. They also get eggs regularly.

MariaM
07-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Purina One isn't expensive, AND they have it in the market, so you don't have to go to the petstore to get it.

Thank you, I will have to look into that :)

They also get raw meat and bones when we happen to have it. They also get eggs regularly.

Just out of curiostiy, why do they get eggs regularly? Are they raw? How often? (Sorry, but I am just interested as I heard they were bad, but that was only one side of the story)

binka_nugget
07-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Just out of curiostiy, why do they get eggs regularly? Are they raw? How often? (Sorry, but I am just interested as I heard they were bad, but that was only one side of the story)

Yes, raw eggs. They get it for the added benefits of keeping their coats and skin nice and healthy. Kai doesn't get it as often anymore because he's on a diet but normally, they get roughly 2 a week.

Most dogs handle raw eggs wonderfully but there will always be a few bad cases.

Kfamr
07-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Simba and Nala get Purina ONE.
Kiara is fed IAMS Puppy because that's what they fed her at the Humane Society, and what we'll continue to feed her until she's around 9-10 months.

Amber
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Elvis eats puppy diamond food

Katie eats beneful

but not for long, were switching them to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul soon

Tonya
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Hehe, I like the term breed better then brand. I've said that a few times myself, being a dog person...Like "What breed is your car?"

I use the Costco lamb and rice.

Toller 42
07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Echo eats Nutro's natural choice lamb and rice.
Tango and the doxies eat Nutro max chicken and rice.
Tango used to eat the same as Echo but after a few days she got really sick so then we switched her food and she was much healthier! Tango and the doxies eat the same thing but Tango gets normal sized kibbles and the doxies get the small ones.

dappledoxie
07-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Science Diet Adult Small Bites is what Claire and Rebel eat, used to eat Pedigree Puppy (Claire) and Purina ONE (Rebel). I want to switch to Nutro, but it's kinda far away to get it. lol

heinz57_79
07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Chloe and Charlie get Nutro Natural Choice adult formula, and Anna and Arthur get a mix of Natural Choice adult and puppy.

molucass
07-27-2004, 09:17 PM
My dogs get some food called Exceed Lamb & Rice.

The vet recommended it because a couple of my furkids have skin problems... We are hoping that we will see some results, if not, I am probably going to switch them over to the barf diet.

Logan
07-27-2004, 09:19 PM
I think it is so interesting how our dogs all do great on so many different types of food!

My 4 eat Flint River Ranch Senior Plus. I considered changing to Chicken Soup because everyone raves on it and it is less expensive than what I'm getting, but I decided I had better leave well enough alone and not switch them. Besides, this way, the UPS guy gets to haul those heavy bags up my steps to the door!!!! :p

swimma253
07-27-2004, 09:26 PM
purina one

lovemyshiba
07-27-2004, 10:25 PM
3 of my dogs eat Sensible Choice--they like the chicken.
My little Riley has to eat Science Diet oral care, because he has a poopy problem, and my vet recommended it, and the problem has disappeared!!:o

We've tried a few foods, and this one seems to be the best for all of them (well, the 3 that eat it). We did Purina One for a while, but it made Kito throw up, and we tried the Chicken Soup food, but everyone had runny stools--not just in the beginning, but for a long time after switching. Sensible Choice seems to work the best for them. Everyone is healthy, no allergies, shiny coats, and they all eat it.
If I switch again, it would probably be to Canidae, Innova, or California Natural.

guster girl
07-27-2004, 10:46 PM
I feed my puppy raw meat and bones. He loves it! And, I love feeding it. Not sure what I'd feed if I was feeding commercially processed food, but, Finn started out on Iams before I got him. I fed him raw food at almost 8 weeks old, the first night he was home with me. :)

shais_mom
07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior Formula.

I started to feed Keegan this again b/c she pooped so much with the other brand I gave her.....
:eek:
I feed her the Senior formula b/c they don't have a light version and the Senior has less fat....

shais_mom
07-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
3 of my dogs eat Sensible Choice--they like the chicken.
My little Riley has to eat Science Diet oral care, because he has a poopy problem, and my vet recommended it, and the problem has disappeared!!:o

We've tried a few foods, and this one seems to be the best for all of them (well, the 3 that eat it). We did Purina One for a while, but it made Kito throw up, and we tried the Chicken Soup food, but everyone had runny stools--not just in the beginning, but for a long time after switching. Sensible Choice seems to work the best for them. Everyone is healthy, no allergies, shiny coats, and they all eat it.
If I switch again, it would probably be to Canidae, Innova, or California Natural.

I fed Purina One Lamb and Rice and Keegan's coat was extremly dull and falling out and dry and brittle!! :eek:

Kfamr
07-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I fed Purina One Lamb and Rice and Keegan's coat was extremly dull and falling out and dry and brittle!! :eek:

Really?? :eek:

My two's coats are wonderful.... People always comment on them. :p

tomkatzid
07-27-2004, 11:47 PM
We were using Chicken Soup, ashlee quit eating so we tried some Precise for her and she gobbled it up, so ash and lucee are on Precise foundation formula and nina is on Precise light diet..........tom

jenfer
07-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Gigi eats Royal Canin mini for puppy, but when she is done with this last bag we are going for the adult! woohoo! We tried Chicken Soup...though lots of people rave about it, but it made her itchy and gave her soft stool. :( And RC just works fine, they are tiny and she stops itching and her stool are much firmer and her coat is still as shiny as ever. :)

cali
07-27-2004, 11:50 PM
differnt dogs reacts differnt to differnt foods. Purina ONE was the only commercial food that did NOT make shadow throw up, her coat seemed shiney lol after the switch to RAW though her coat used to be extremly dull in comparison :eek: purina ONE made Happy very sick, but then again EVERY commercial food made Happy very sick, and shadow could only eat the one. while they both cleared up completly once on RAW, yet shadow brother, Dakota does very well on pedigree healthy vitality, his coat is gleaming gold, he is fit and healthy, shadow though is on it now too, and her arthitus is coming sometimes she is ok, but just a simple pet is starting to hurt her again.(not too bad though, my friend have been sneaking shadow raw meat and bones when her parents are not home) perky however does fine on any diet, she lived on the streets so many times that ANY food is good food to her, and her body has adjusted so that any food will keep her healthy. Ripley can be heathy on any diet but does better on RAW, but its not like kibble would hurt him, like it hurts happy. Blair and misty I have no clue though because they started RAW the day they came home.

shais_mom
07-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Yup -
I switched her from Purina one to Premium Edge Chicken and Rice and the difference was amazing. A guy at work told me to feed Premium Edge b/c his mastiff was the same way on Purina One. I have thought about going back to Premium Edge she liked it but not sure if they have a low cal formula. So no Purina for my girly girl!! :p

BitsyNaceyDog
07-28-2004, 07:18 AM
I feed all 3 of mine Natural Balance. They all love it and do so well on it.

pitc9
07-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Both of mine get Pro Plan sensitive stomach dry and canned.

We had such a problem when we got Sierra, she has the runs all the time, tried all types of food, then found Pro Plan Lamb and Rice worked good. Buddy came to us, and he had the runs while eating it... so we switched to the sensitive stomach and they both do wonderful on it!! Firm stool, soft shiny fur, clean teeth, and no stinky breath at all!!! Both of mine are skinny pups, I've had testing done on both, no heath problems found, just skinny dogs, and for GSD's I guess that's a good thing!!! :D

Samantha Puppy
07-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Started Samantha off with Pedigree. Then we went to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. She scarfed it down for awhile but then she started snubbing it - didn't eat for two days. I got her some Pedigree again in the meantime and she went back to scarfing down her dinner... so I'm thinking since Chicken Soup only has the one "flavor" little miss Samantha got sick of it and staged a protest. She now gets Pedigree, Iams, and sometimes when I can afford it, Merrick's.

anna_66
07-28-2004, 08:55 AM
I switched both of the girls from Eukanuba Matience to Natural Balance.

Angus is eating the Eukanuba Large Breed Senior (Seemed eveything else gave him gas). I'm thinking I might try to change him to Natural Balance also since he's always eating the girls and hasn't had any stinkies;)

Canis Amicus
07-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Purina Matzlinger, chicken and veggies.
Pedigree Adult, lamb and vegetables.

Rosana
and
Rex (GSD, 3yo)

Erika
07-28-2004, 11:40 AM
It is interesting that different dogs react so differently to all of these foods. I am considering switching Nikki to Pro Plan sensitive stomach because she has always had stomach problems.

swimma253
07-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Same with Meeka! she uses the purina one lamb and rice and her coat is very shiny!:confused: hmmm... mayb there are different outcomes on different dogs.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
07-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Adult Formula.

But, I *might* switch them over to Canidae.. does anyone feed that? Thoughts?

I feed my guys Canadae... I absolutly LOVE it and so do they. The best thing about the meat in it is USDA Aproved for human consumption. But the only thing about it I dont like is how hard it is to find lucally some one close to us keeps it in stock and the cost of it! But it is the best after BARF and nothing but the best for my boys

ParNone
07-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Murph and Maddie were on Purina One for a very short period, and Maddie's allergies went through roof. I then had them on Science Diet prescribed by the vet. Oz was on Eukanuba, then Pro Plan.

I switched all of them to Wellness to try to allievate Maddie's allergies. It did wonders for Maddie and I had a lot of people from agility coming up to me asking what I was feeding Oz, because his coat looked so good. So after Maddie passed away, I went ahead and kept feeding that to Murph and Oz, because their skin and coats both look so good on it. I will say that although the poops definitely look healthier, they are softer, then the other brands I had mine on. Makes pooper scooping harder. When I first got Gully, he was on Diamond and his poops were black, so I switched him to Wellness Puppy as soon as possible.

Par...

bsherman
07-28-2004, 01:24 PM
My Tawny was eating Nutra Lamb and Rice and all of a sudden it started making her sick, she now eats a premium dog food, of Potatoe and Duck, wow is it expensive but she loves it. I was told that sometimes they just need a change, chicken does horrible things to her and beef makes her smell. I have to take the new food out when she is not around or she'll start barking really loud for it. I guess a retreiver knows when there is a duck around.

cocker_luva
07-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Jesse eats Iams Weight Control Adult Formula.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Sadie gets Nutro Natural Choice.:)

ChrisH
07-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Bob has Burns Venison & Brown Rice.
He has been on Burns for just about a year now, is doing well and still loves it! He has also lost all the extra weight he was carrying, which is a happy extra. :)

Chris