PDA

View Full Version : Just for You, RubyMutt! (and anyone else! hehe)

heinz57_79
07-27-2004, 11:28 AM
rubymutt, here's my gf's favourite dish right now. I'd eaten Thai Basil chicken when i lived in Bangkok, and managed to replicate it pretty good once back in the US. :) You have to like basil, tho! A few of the ingredients you may have to look for at an Asian market, like the fish sauce and sesame oil.

I never measured out my ingredients before, but my dad asked for the recipe so I had to give it a go. Enjoy! Let me know if you make it, and if you liked it.

4 chicken breasts, cut like you're doing a stir fry
3 cloves of garlic, minced, sliced or smooshed
fresh or dried chilis, 2-4 to taste
4 TBS fish sauce
1 TBS + 1 tsp basil
1-2 cups cooked spinach (I'm guestimating since we use frozen cuz it's easier)
sesame oil
salt, pepper

Cook garlic and chilis in hot olive oil til garlic is soft and kinda brown. Add chicken. Salt and pepper to taste, wouldn't recommend too much salt tho because of the fish sauce. As the chicken starts to brown, throw in 1/2 TBS basil, a squirt of sesame oil and a TBS of fish sauce, to start the flavour cooking. Once the chicken has browned and cooked thru add another 1/2 TBS of basil and 2 TBS fish sauce. Allow to cook for a couple more minutes. Add spinach to chicken. Stir to distribute evenly in pan. Add remainding fish sauce and basil. Stir. Cook for a couple more minutes. Serve with white rice.

Mind you, the amount of basil and fish sauce tends to vary. I've never measured my indredients before, so feel free to wing it! =) If you're not big on spicey food, omit the chilis.

heinz57_79
07-27-2004, 04:24 PM
*bump*

RubyMutt
07-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Thank you! :D Sounds delish! I'll try it out this weekend :)

You lived in Bangkok?? :eek: Awesome! :D Did you like it? How long did you live there?

heinz57_79
07-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I LOVED Bangkok! I was there for 5 years, from 92 til I graduated from high school in 97. I miss it heaps! I'm dying to go back and check out the city cuz I know there have been some MAJOR changes. I miss the beaches and the food and all the cheap, cheap cheap shopping, dining, etc. :) I'd definitely recommend a vacation to Thailand for anyone wanting to visit South East Asia..... as long as you take me with you! hehehe

RubyMutt
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I LOVED Bangkok! I was there for 5 years, from 92 til I graduated from high school in 97. I miss it heaps! I'm dying to go back and check out the city cuz I know there have been some MAJOR changes. I miss the beaches and the food and all the cheap, cheap cheap shopping, dining, etc. :) I'd definitely recommend a vacation to Thailand for anyone wanting to visit South East Asia..... as long as you take me with you! hehehe

Oh that is so wonderful to hear! When I tell most people how much I'd love to visit Thailand they usually respond with something along the lines of, "Why on earth would you want to go there?" :p :rolleyes: I'm glad to hear something positive from someone who actually lived there! Do you happen to have any photos? *hint* *hint*

heinz57_79
07-28-2004, 12:00 AM
I wish I had photos. Most of my pics are in my high school photo album, and I don't have a scanner. My dad has more pics than I do, but he's working on moving to Armenia, so I can't really ask him to scan some and send them along. I promise when I get a scanner I'll put some up! :) I can tell you call the good places to visit and places to eat! hehehe

RubyMutt
08-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm actually eating it right now :D Thanks again for the recipe, it turned out great :) I did omit the chilies, I'm over at my parent's house and my dad doesn't handle spicy food very well ;) My parents and great-aunt love it as well :)

heinz57_79
08-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Awesome! I'm glad you liked it! The fish sauce/basil combination is a little strange for people sometimes, so I'm actually surprised everyone likes it. :) Want some more recipes, just let me know! :D