PDA

View Full Version : Yucky Ants! and My Dogs

Sevens
07-27-2004, 07:08 AM
I just noticed some ants this morning on my kitchen counter near the window, our stainless steel trash can and the holder with the dogs dishes. They are also near the sink.

I need to get rid of these ASAP. However, I don't want to bomb or use chemical sprays because of the dogs. I've never used chemical sprays around them and I really don't want to start now.

Does anybody have any good natural ways to get rid of ants? I've heard of lemon juice and possibly peppermint, but I am not quite sure how to apply these to the counters and whatnot.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.:)

binka_nugget
07-27-2004, 07:11 AM
We had a horrible ant problem at our old house. We used some kind of chalk-like product to get rid of them. It worked amazingly. It was pet safe too. I'm not sure what it's called but I know it's a Chinese product. You could probably find some easily in the Chinatown in your city.

pitc9
07-27-2004, 07:18 AM
My mom used to use something called Torro. It's a liquid you put down (on a piece of carboard or something) and they take it back to where they live and that's the end of them. It worked GREAT!!
I don't know if it's "pet safe" but at the time we had two dogs. We just made sure it was not within their reach.

Sevens
07-27-2004, 01:19 PM
I found this company that is poison free and you can find a lot of their products at hardware stores possibly in your area.

The company is called Victor Pest, their website is www.victorpest.com. We are picking up a can of their Poison Free Ant Killer Aerosol this afternoon. Apparently ants can't deal with citrus oil or mint oil.

Also, after I left the house, my husband sprayed them with some Burts Bee's Herbal Insect Repellant we had gotten for Bailey (I think stacwase on here recommended it for dogs) and it killed them. Burt's Bees repellant is citronella oil, lemongrass oil, and rosemary oil.

Sure hope this works, I can't stand ants in the kitchen.

lovemyshiba
07-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Yuck!!!
I know how you feel--we had ants just a few months ago as well. Mine were around the sink, and underneath it, right where the trash can is.
I got a couple of traps and placed them in the cabinet which is locked and the dogs can't get into it. I also sprayed areas the dogs couldn't reach with ant killer. My husband bought a spray for outside as well, and sprayed the foundation around the house--only out front, where the dogs don't go--we haven't seen an ant since.

Good luck!!

chocolatepuppy
07-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I sprinkle seven dust around our hole house several times during spring/early summer and it seems to have kept us ant free for several years now. It is suppose to be safe for plants and even says you can put it on your dogs, I believe for fleas, but I would never do that.

countrycowgirl
07-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
We had a horrible ant problem at our old house. We used some kind of chalk-like product to get rid of them. It worked amazingly. It was pet safe too. I'm not sure what it's called but I know it's a Chinese product. You could probably find some easily in the Chinatown in your city.

I think what you are talking about is called sevens dust:) ...that is what we use:)