PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Needed For Marigold's Newborn

QueenScoopalot
07-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I have been going like a nut all day. I got a call from (our not too usefull) Animal Control Officer regarding newborns at a nearby apartment/project. I'm glad I went when I did, and somehow located the mama I named Marigold in the corner of thick hedges and against a brick wall. With ACO's help, I got her out using the rabies pole, and climbed in and got her six newborn babies. I got them home here, put the ACO's carrier in the bathroom with Marigold, and then went to give her the kittens. Two were separated, the other four were completely tangled by umbilical cords to each other. Hubby and I couldn't do the job that needed extra hands, so I went to the vets office with the four. The beige baby (the rest are orange) had lost circulation in his hind leg and it's horribly swollen, and purple. It's hopefully going to heal or else I don't know what's going to happen.:( The family is in a foster home, along with a few others from here. Larry is planning on getting up every two hours and soaking and massaging the kitten's foot. My life can never be plain old dull can it? Sweet abandoned mama shouldn't have to live like garbage, and give birth in a dirt hole in the bushes.

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/Marigoldandhersixnewborns.jpg

Proud new mama Marigold nursing the kids :)

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/Marigoldsbabywithswollenlimb.jpg

Beige baby's poor foot :(

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/ProudMarigoldMama.jpg

Logan
07-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Marigold and the babies have a chance now due to your kindness.....you're right, though, it isn't fair, she and so many others shouldn't have to live like that. Thank heaven for people like you and Larry who will go the extra mile. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Logan

jazzcat
07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Oh how sad. I'm so glad you are there for them, bless you!

Prayers on the way!

Craftlady
07-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Will keep good thoughts, what a precious mommie cat :)

Steffi N
07-26-2004, 10:29 PM
I am glad you were able to rescue Marigold and her babies. There is hope for them now, thanks to you. I hope Larry’s soaks and massages help the poor baby with the hurt leg. Perhaps Aly (remembering baby Lily’s leg) can give additional advice.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Awww...Mama kitty is so cute! Is Larry hubby or is Larry foster daddy - just curious since you've mentioned "hubby" before but never a name. ;)

And I'm thinking that thanks to you, that little babies foot is going to be just fine. When Aly first got Lily her leg was all swollen and deformed also, and now Lily is over a year old and you'd never be able to tell she had a problem as a kitten. (which reminds me, we need to get sirrahbed whining about Toby and Lily pics - who we haven't seen in forever!)

You're right that poor Mama didn't deserve such a fate, but the good news is that now, thanks to you, she is in much better hands and she will never again have to have babies in a dirt hole behind some bushes. Thank you. :)

Killearn Kitties
07-27-2004, 05:46 AM
What a beautiful cat and beautiful babies. Bless you for helping them. I'm sending lots of prayers for them all.

QueenScoopalot
07-27-2004, 05:53 AM
I hope Ali sees this and offers a touch of encouragement. I've dealt with umbilical cords wrapped around kittens before, but not to this extent. They must have been born during the night, as the cords were dried out. One of the orange kittens also had circulation cut off, but when I went to try and figure out which one:confused: I couldn't tell them apart! T&PS Mom..Larry is a foster purrson I've met in passing through shelters. He has a terrific setup he's designed with dressers as nurseries (he pulls bottom drawer out, and cuts escape holes on both sides of the back). Each mom cat has her own room, which is easy to keep clean. He's a stay at home foster dad (rich wife lol), so has the time to devote to the newborn, and socializing a few others I brought him. Dave is my other half...who is ever so tolerant Bless him!:D

jenluckenbach
07-27-2004, 06:04 AM
Poor little babies. Prayers for them and for the new mom.

catmandu
07-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Prayers are Coming,for that Poor Kitten,and May Our Lord,in his infinite mercy,help him get better! Bless You,For Caring!

catlover4ever
07-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent right now. Marigold looks like such a wonderful momma. She is beautiful..I love her face...so sweet. Please keep us posted on her and the kittens.

christa
07-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh, how pitiful!!! All I can say is, thank God for QSA!!! Those little kittens will have a chance now . . . they probably wouldn't made it if you hadn't rescued them!

DJFyrewolf36
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
Prayers are Coming,for that Poor Kitten,and May Our Lord,in his infinite mercy,help him get better! Bless You,For Caring!

Well said Catmandu! Ditto here! Fingers and paws crossed for this new litter of kittens!

mruffruff
07-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Lots of prayers coming your way.

Your rescues always thrill me. I know how hard it is to do what you do and I'm totally in awe of your capabilities. I wish I could be there to help you. I get tired just reading about all the work you do. You go, girl! :D

Mary

sirrahbed
07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Jan - the work you do truly amazes me. Marigold and her babies do not deserve what has happened to them so far but NOW they have a chance and it is because of YOU. Larry sounds like a purrfect foster dad. Thank you so much for all that you do - and for sharing the details here with us.

nibblets
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Marigold you are a good momma being so loving and strong for your babies. We are praying for all of you.

Hang in there little one! You can do it!

aly
07-27-2004, 01:59 PM
(Thanks Debbie for PMing me about this thread!!!!)

My little Lily girl had a string tied around her leg for who knows how long :( She was around 7 days old when I found her, and her leg was BAD. It was purple and black and the skin was falling off if you touched it. It was swollen soooo big.

I took her to the vet and he put her on antibiotics (I was surprised she could go on them that young) and some ointment to lightly rub onto her foot (wish I could remember the name of the stuff). He said there was a very good chance she'd lose her leg or it'd have to be amputated, but that we'd have to wait and see.

It turns out that her leg healed to be completely 100% normal. I did soak her leg a little bit, but I didn't know how much I should or shouldn't be touching it. That along with the antibiotics and ointment was all I was able to do.

Your baby's leg reminds me a lot of how Lily's was. I'm sure with your great care that he will come through this just like she did! I would be careful though to be sure that his littermates leave it alone. Sometimes those little babies will suckle on each other. Whenever you have free time, I'd try to keep a good eye on them. I know you can't sit there all day and watch, but I tend to be a worry wart!

Please keep us updated and ask me any questions if you have them. Try not to lose hope. Lily's leg was BAD and she came through just fine!

kimlovescats
07-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Oh my goodness.... that poor baby's foot is awful!!!! Three times as big as the other!!!:( Oh, I am so thankful that they are now in your care ... God Bless you and them .... prayers coming your way!!!

carla and mike
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
WOW
That foot is huge.And the 4 wrapped around the cord wouldn't of
made it without you.
Or any of them being outside.But that foot...geez
poor little guy.
Thanks again and again and again.
I'm sure Larry will do his best to save his foot and leg.
Looks like happy endings are coming for them.We hope
the foot gets healed.

Just need to worry about the sick bunch you have at home..mainly Emily.

lizzielou742
07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Oh, that poor baby! That leg looks awful!!! Bless you, QSA, for rescuing these poor helpless babies!!

moosmom
07-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Jan,

You are amazing! I'm so glad you were able to save Marigold and her babies. Thoughts and prayers from Michigan for them AND you!!! Please keep us posted.

((((hugs)))))

rg_girlca
07-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Poor innocent little baby. That was so heartbreaking to see. I hope and pray that his little leg heals well.
Gosh QSA, you really have your hands full and your foster friend, Larry, sounds like an angel.
Prayers for you and for those precious little ones and their Mama.

chrangharris
07-27-2004, 07:35 PM
The poor babies and mama! With such great loving care, they'll pull through! Prayers your way!

MULTICATMOM
07-27-2004, 08:59 PM
:o JUST THINK, POOR MARIGOLD, SOME DUMB PERSON PROBABLY GAVE HER AS "A CHRISTMAS KITTEN..." SHE LOOKS SO YOUNG...

;) QSA, I'M SUPRISED BUT GLAD YOU HAVE TIME TO POST LADY!! YOU'RE A BUSY GAL!! I HOPE THAT BLEACH DOES ENERGY BOOST!!:D :D :rolleyes: :D :D

I'LL ADD THIS FOOT/KITTENS TO THE PRAYER LIST. HOW'S THE "WOODPILE GANG"?

QueenScoopalot
07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Aly quotes..Your baby's leg reminds me a lot of how Lily's was. I'm sure with your great care that he will come through this just like she did! I would be careful though to be sure that his littermates leave it alone. Sometimes those little babies will suckle on each other.

Aly, that's very encouraging news after several discouraging days! I think the kitten (and Marigold) are in good hands with Larry. My vet recomended soaking, and gentle massage. A few of the kitten's toes looked like they were starting to get blood flow. No need to worry about the other kittens suckling on him...he has a terrific mama who seems to be doing great with the six pack.

MCM, The bleach is drying my skin out something awful, but I have to keep spraying myself if I go near the Woodpile Gang's cage. No energy boost yet! I'm not holding out much hope with Emily, the edema is worse by the hour. :(

leslie flenner
07-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Just an fyi on this gals energy, Jan had pretty much JUST walked in the door with her sick "woodpile" kittens when she got the call about the litter of kittens screaming in the bushes (now called "Marigold" and her 6)! And, they weren't just tangled with embilical cords, they were tangled with STUFF, likes dried weeds, and she described all 4 kittens going in all different directions and literally STUCK so it was likely that had not yet nursed and about 24 hours old already! That swollen foot was tied up with crap too tight for blood flow! Mamma must have been frantic to nurse and unable to! Anyone that lets their pregnant cat roam the streets.. well, you know.. In Jan's bathroom, mama was purring loudly and happily accepting pats and tending to her babies- same at Larry's later that day- good cat!!
Jan didn't have the strength to post the story at the end of the day yesterday- must have been one of the clones she's been wishing for!!

MULTICATMOM
07-27-2004, 11:08 PM
THE WORLD NEEDS A BUNCH OF HER!! I'LL BET SHE NEEDS CLONES!!

catcrazylady
07-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Marigold is such a beautiful girl and she sounds like a wonderful mother. Poor girl probably didn't know what to do in the weeds with her tangled babies! Thank God you came along Jan! That baby may keep his foot and leg now thanks to you and the four tangled babies can now survive. Not only do we all thank you so much but I bet Marigold is so glad you helped her and her kiddo's.
She sure looks like a sweet momma.

Great work as always Jan!!! You're still my hero!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Barbara
07-28-2004, 05:53 AM
I am so happy Marigold and her babies have a chance now, thanks to you:D

Of course that little baby reminded me of Lily. I remember her little leg so well and was prepared to see her grow up with three legs (and we all know how well a kitty can manage a handicap like that:) ) and now she is a purrfect beauty with all of her legs. I send my best wishes for beige kitty and her/his mom and all of her/his brothers and sisters:D

QueenScoopalot
07-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Oh Leslie...I think you're mistaking Lola's litter with Marigolds! The kittens weren't tangled in debris, just tangled in a ball by their dried up umbilical cords in a dirt hole against the building. That's how I was able to grab them up in one handful. ;) I'm calling Larry today at some point, to see how the wee one is doing with his foot.