PDA

View Full Version : a couple of agility videos

Crikit
07-26-2004, 08:44 PM
here's a couple of videos of Smudge and I running our standard rounds at the Alberta Regionals this year.

www.pawzneffect.com/regionals1.wmv (http://www.pawzneffect.com/regionals1.wmv)

www.pawzneffect.com/regionals2.wmv (http://www.pawzneffect.com/regionals2.wmv)

cocker_luva
07-26-2004, 10:00 PM
wow! that was good! one little slip up on the weave poles, but it still was great!:D

anna_66
07-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Wow! How great:D

jenfer
07-26-2004, 10:33 PM
:eek: cool!

pitc9
07-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Great!!!!

Crikit
07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys, I wish I had a couple of videos of the other two running but Tama is just starting to trial and the only run that is on tape of Winter is to embarassing to show...plus I don't have a copy of it.

sirrahbed
07-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I have heard of agility training but never had any idea of what is actually WAS! WOW that is amazing!! That must take - well years of training right??? It looks very strenuous for both the owner AND the dog.
How long has Smudge been doing this?
How long and often do you train and at what age is it started?
Are only certain breeds able to do this?
What sort of reward do you offer in training?
Do you use signals or commands to direct him in the event??
I know! 100 questions!!:D

Very interesting!!! Thanks!!

Toller 42
07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
that was really good! I would love to get Tango into agility, I bought her a tunnel and made some jumps for her (actually my grandpa did) and she really loves those 2 obstacles! when she was in obedience class she did a whole course with no training and she went everywhere I told her but it wasn't an agility class it was her graduating class so we got to do alot of really fun things that day! there was one obstacle she didn't like though, that was the teeter she was scared of it but after a few tries she got more confident!

Crikit
07-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I have heard of agility training but never had any idea of what is actually WAS! WOW that is amazing!! That must take - well years of training right??? It looks very strenuous for both the owner AND the dog.
How long has Smudge been doing this?
How long and often do you train and at what age is it started?
Are only certain breeds able to do this?
What sort of reward do you offer in training?
Do you use signals or commands to direct him in the event??
I know! 100 questions!!:D

Very interesting!!! Thanks!!

Okay let's see if I can answer these :D Well it can take years, I know some people whose dogs are ready to compete within a couple of months. Smudges first trial was about 4 months after I first started training him (he wasn't ready though) while Winter's and Tama's were a little longer close to a year for both. Yes it can be strenuous that's why it's important to keep the dogs in tip top shape (ie, weight and such)

Smudge has been in training since he was a little over a year. He had some issues and wasn't very confidant so I put him in agility in hopes that it would help work out the issues, for the most part it has now. Winter and Tama have both been in training since I got them so a little over a year for Tama and 2 or so years for Winter. Both Winter and Tama have things to work on though so they get trialed very often, Tama actually still has a couple of pieces to learn before he can do trials other then CKC ones, and Winter's recently been put down a jump height in one of the organizations so I'm hoping to do some more with her.

As for training, I do the actual agility training with full equipment at least once a week. There is other training that I do for agility away from the equipment like working on side changes and contacts (you don't always need the equipment for that, stairs work) and following the lead hand stuff like that. So usually it's around 3-4 times a week that I'm working on stuff with the dogs. The length of time varies on the dog and what I'm working on really. With Smudge it can be anywhere from 15-30 minutes with some play time afterwards, while Winter and Tama are a little bit less time, usually not going past 15 minutes. Their time is less because they don't have as much experience...that and due to Winters past that's all she can usually handle without starting to go all soft on me. Most of the time the training is done with their supper.

For the age it all depends, dogs can't really start to compete until 18 months of age. You can start training when they're young but you have to be careful with what type of training and how hard you push your dog. For example dogs under a year should not jump their full height or really anything over 8" or so due to the fact that the bones in their bodies are still growing, and stuff like that.

Certain breeds like the Border Collie, Aussies, or Shelties do better at the sport then most but really any type of dog is able to do agility, of course some breeds like the bull breeds do have a harder time due to their structure but allowances have been made for that and they can perform at lower jump heights and such. As long as the dog is healthy, happy, and enjoying it any dog can do it.

I actually use a few different types of rewards. While on the course in competition I use praise because you can't have toys or treats on course. As soon as the dog is done running I then lavish them with praise, treats and if they like them toys. They get those three things regardless of how they do because 9 times out of 10 it's me that screwed up on course. The only time that they don't get a treat is if they aren't listening to me at all (giving the doggie dew claw so to say) which could lead to them doing something on course that is unsafe. It hasn't happened to Winter or Tama yet but Smudge has had to be carried off course a couple of times for that reason, when that happens he gets put in his crate to chill for a little while. If it's not a competition then I'll sometimes take treats and a ball or something on the course to give to the dog. Winter occasionally needs a ball tossed mid course due to stress.

We use both verbal commands and body languge (if you notice in the video I have one of my hands out most of the time, that helps guide the dog, which is part of the body languge thing) while on course. Most of the times I use both but at times I run silent using only the body languge and occasional directional command like here or side (left and right) to run the dog. For the first couple of years the dog relies on the body languge more then the verbal because it can take 2 or 3 years to learn the commands for the equipment. So as long as I'm providing the right body languge the dog will go where I want.

Hope that answers the questions.

Oh yeah Toller there are a few places in Calgary that offer agility classes, if you want PM me and I can let you know about them.

sirrahbed
07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Crikit - big THANKS for all of those answers! I appreciate it:) Yes, I did notice you had your hand out in the videos but wondered if you had treats in there:p I also thought you might be doing hand gestures.

dukedogsmom
07-28-2004, 01:03 PM
That looks like oh so much fun! Smudge, you did a great job and I enjoyed watching you jump just like a little horse. I would love to find a place around here to do that.

Toller 42
07-28-2004, 01:11 PM
What kind of dog is smudge?

Crikit
07-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Toller 42
What kind of dog is smudge?

Smudge is a cockapoo...no I'm joking that's what he was supposed to be he's actually a Lab/Spanial cross.

Toller 42
07-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Were you ever at a trial that Topdogs taped? because I remember seeing a Lab/spaniel on T.V before, and I think it's name was Smudge!

Crikit
07-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Toller 42
Were you ever at a trial that Topdogs taped? because I remember seeing a Lab/spaniel on T.V before, and I think it's name was Smudge!

Yup that was Smudge puppy and I, it wasn't our best round for obvious reasons. We've improved quite a bit in the last year or so.

wolf_Q
07-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Awesome videos!! Smudge looks so fast!