PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat...please help!

purpleduck21
11-01-2001, 01:23 PM
I have 3 cats at my house. 2 of them love the outdoors. If we let them out they stay in the backyard and play or sleep. The problem is that there is a stray cat that basically comes in our yard and beats them up. This stray cat has cost me over $3000 in vet bills. We have tried everything to catch this cat. We even have a live animal trap but nothing seems to work. We have also called pest control but they're not much help. Does anyone have any idea how to catch this stray cat? We hardly let our cats out anymore and they're losing their fur from stress because they want out! Please if you have any ideas let me know. Thanks! :(

DNova
11-01-2001, 04:21 PM
Supervise their outdoor playtime carefully, and if you see the mean stray come around, chase him away. I think animal control could also help you somehow, but I really don't know for sure, make some phone calls. Your vet may have some relevant phone numbers, or possibly the local animal shelter. Good luck!

lizbud
11-02-2001, 07:31 PM
IndyLisa,
Dont't know what side of town you live on,
but there is NO safe place for "outside"
kittys!!! Bringing them inside and getting
them used to an "indoor" life is the only
way to keep them from harm. Indy, like most
every other city, has a lot of strays.You
cannot control them All.Hope you can get the
kitties used to being inside only!!
Good Luck with this ...

tuxluvr
11-03-2001, 08:30 AM
On one prior post in pettalk, my favorite saying, "Better to be indoors and fat than outdoors and flat"

Ritzy loves to watch the "outdoor cats" and I think even dreams of being there, but I know she is much safer and healthier inside. I've lost too many fur friends to the wiles of the outside world to let it happen again.

Of the many benefits, I don't think Ritz sheds as much because the indoor temp is pretty cool year round. Getting her spayed also reduced her yearn for the outside world.

AryaSymone
02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Inside cats are the best way to go.

moosmom
02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Sounds like the stray cat may be a "whole" male, that being a male cat who is NOT neutered. Unneutered male cats are very aggressive. If you have a live trap, put sardines inside the trap. Do not feed the stray for at least 24 hours. This way he'll be ravenous and go into the trap very easily.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

PayItForward
02-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Sounds like the stray cat may be a "whole" male, that being a male cat who is NOT neutered. Unneutered male cats are very aggressive. If you have a live trap, put sardines inside the trap. Do not feed the stray for at least 24 hours. This way he'll be ravenous and go into the trap very easily.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Hon, this thread is 4 years old !!!

ratchet22
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I am truly sorry for you stray kid, wish he had a home. But anyways as some said prior about not letting them out, I have to agree to a point, I wanted mine outside, but not wondering the dangers that are out there. So we went to lowes and purchased one of those hugh dog kennels and backed it up to the house and put a doggie door in, know my kids can go outside, but ccan't leave.

QueenScoopalot
02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Hon, this thread is 4 years old !!!
Yup....and only one post from purpleduck21...so no followup on what ever happened! How DO these old posts keep cropping up? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

sirrahved
02-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi there!

I would agree that the best thing to do would be to get your kitties used to indoor living. Here in Allen County, ALL animals (even cats!) are to be leashed or fenced in if allowed outside.

Good luck!

sirrahved
02-01-2005, 08:15 PM
lol I guess I should read ALL of every thread before opening my yapper!

rosethecopycat
02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
How DO these old posts keep cropping up? :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: [/B]
The newcomer AryaSymone bumped this old post up. (possibly thinking that it was getting read)
Purpleduck never came back.

We're all looking at it like it's happening now, and PIF is the only one that is 'heads up'

:o

I guess it's just too late at night.

catmandu
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Thats a shmae,that there wasno follow,up,as I was going,to suggest,a Humane Tarp.I would try,one,on Scrappy 2,but I havethe feeling,that he would go beserk,and start SCREAMING,and that Little Fellow,can BELLOW!

ratchet22
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
:D :D Thats to funny, and we never noticed.